navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » City of Whispers (Chapters 3-4)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic City of Whispers (Chapters 3-4) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Deranger
since 2000-05-10
Posts 498
Somewhere, between here and there

0 posted 2000-09-02 06:18 PM

Note: This wasn’t written with the intention of posting it on a public forum.   I have scanned this for obscene words, I found none.  But that doesn’t mean there isn’t any.  I apologize in advance if I missed anything.

Chapter Three

About an hour later, when we had ditched the city’s truck and returned to our van.  I was driving back to the church for the pickup.  Jay was in the passenger seat; it looked like he had half the money spent already.
“Good job, we’re are thirty freaking grand richer!” Jay yelled.
“Just a few more pennies towards the retirement fund.” I said, for some reason, not sharing his excitement.  Though, by all means, I should, I just made a crapload of money.
Sam was in the back, talking quietly to the girl, who had calmed down enough for the gag to be removed.
“Jimmy, she’s hungry.  You think we could stop somewhere?” She ask sweetly, obvious trying to persuade me.  Well, the hell with obviousness, it sure worked.
“I suppose, but there no way she is getting out of this van, if she is seen, we’re all six feet under.
“Ok, ok. That’s fine.”
I stopped at the first fast-food joint I came to. It had a drive though. Excellent.  

I think we all felt better after eating, and the food sure clamed down little Miss Troy.  Ten minutes later, I pulled into the All-Saints Church lot.
“Stay here you guys, I never trusted that Fitch one bit” I said, making sure that my 9mm was concealed.
The others gave me reassuring nods as I got out of the van.  The sky was a grim color, matching my inexplicable mood. The Church was very beautiful, rich carpet, fine paintings and statues.  But the pews empty, right along with my soul.  Sighing heavily, I pushed open the door to the conference room to find Fitch was not alone.
“Ah, James…you’re ten minutes late as usual” Fitch said, lacking his normal vicious edge that we all came to expect over our months of dealing with him.
The other man looked substantially built, even when sitting, said nothing, but puffed away on a cigar…a Cuban, by the smell at least. .  
“Where is the girl, James.  The Man doesn’t like to be kept waiting. “ Fitch said eagerly.
“You get her soon, where’s the money?” I said.
Fitch mouthed something obscene to me.  “The money is in that suitcase my companion is holding.  Nine hundred one hundred-dollar bills.”
“Very good, bring it with you to the van, that’s where I have the girl.”  
I led the two out to the van.  I gave the special pattern of knocks on the sliding door and Sam opened it.  Her blue eyes were glassy and immediately turned from us once the door was open.
I was almost hesitant to let the girl go.  I had no idea what this “The Man” had in store for Rachel.  So young and innocent, yet so soiled by the sins of her father, I guess fairness never entered into this grim equation. Fitch proceeded to bind and re-gaged the girl I almost said something about the unnecessary cruelty.  But no damnit, I kept my mouth shut like a good doggy begging for scraps.

The mood was drearily quiet as I drove the team home, I dropped off Jay first, leaving me alone with Sam.  After Jay left, she moved up to the front seat, but didn’t say anything till I hit the freeway.  
“Jimmy, why were hesitant about giving up that girl?” She said.  She only used “Jimmy” when she was being serious.
“I don’t know really, maybe I thought it wasn’t fair.  You know, to be doomed to who-knows-what for **** you didn't even do.  Why do you ask?”
“I not really sure, I kinda of liked the girl.  You’re right, its not fair Jimmy…you know what?”
“Um…” I muttered, as I changed lanes.
“This whole thing makes me sick to my stomach! I wish I had never taken this job, I mean how many more lives must we destroy just to make a quick buck or two?” She said, I sensed her close to tears.  
“Its not like you can just quit a job like this, they’d kill you.  You know that as well as I!” I said, getting angry, but more at my own cowardice then her stupid fantasy.  A fantasy not so far from my own stupid fantasy.  
“You know that cause you think about it too, don’t you!” She demanded
Oh crap, she got me. I paused for a moment unsure of how to answer.  
Relief came when I saw Sam’s apartment complex come into view.
“Look, I’ll drop you off, have a drink and go to bed, it’ll all make sense in the morning.” I said.
Her rebuttal was quick and sharp.  “That’s what you tell yourself, isn’t it?  Is that how you get by Jimmy?”
“This is your apartment, right?” I said, unsuccessful at hold my anger any longer.
“Yeah, thanks for the ride…asshole.” Said opening the stepping onto the grass in front of her apartment.  She slammed the door shut.
Damn it all, what was I supposed to say?  I can’t decide if I wanted to kill her or make love to her.  Sighing and swearing to never forgive myself, I lowered the passenger-side window.
“Sam, wait!  I—“ But she had already closed her door.  
Cursing like something evil, I through the van into park, set the E-Brake and went after her.          

I knocked on her door.  At first she didn’t answer, but eventually opened the door.
“Sam,  I’m sorry…but you’re right, I want out as much as you, but it ain’t gonna happen, you see—“ There I went, I didn’t even notice that she was crying.  My first reaction was to brush the tears away and comfort her, but then I remembered, this wasn’t some heartsick high school girl, this was a Mercenary.  Well, I figured I couldn’t possible mess up more that day, so I went with my instinct.
Wiping the tears away, I tried to think of something meaningful to say, but nothing came to me.  She collapsed into my arms, I took her into the apartment and shut the door.  This was going to be a long night.  

I woke up around 9:30 am, that damn phone again.  I got up when I realized, I wasn’t in my apartment.  Seconds passed and memories flooded back in a wave of understanding.  I must have fallen asleep on the couch after me and Sam’s little talk.  God, my life was a record screw-up right about now.  Nothing made any sense.  Just then, I laughed to myself.  There was never a time when my life had made any sense.  
Wondering around, I found Sam’s bedroom, the door was open and I clearly heard her on the phone.  She saw me and motioned me to sit on the bed.  
“He’s right here Jay” She said handing the phone to me.
“Hello?” I said, still trying to shake off that sleepy feeling.
“Hey man, did you hear what happened to that little girl?” Jay said, almost giddy.
Crap, I don’t wanna hear this.
“No, what?”
“Dude, they set up an ambush, they got most the Troy family in a car bomb, it was the greatest thin—“
“What happened to Rachel!” I interrupted
“Um, she died, probably in the explosion with her parents…why do you care?”
“Shut up…I don’t care, why the hell did you call anyway?” I must have lost it, cause I never talk that way to Jay.
“Whoa, settle down chief…Fitch has another job and he is pissed that you weren’t at your apartment to receive the call.” Jay retorted.
“Sorry, just had a rough morning that’s all.  What time do when have to be there?” I asked.
“12:45, no later, see ya two there.” Jay said, hanging up.  

For a second I closed my eyes, taking a second to damn Fitch to hell before doing the same for myself.
“What did he tell you, he wouldn’t speak a word to me?”  Sam asked.
I swallowed hard, I felt sick.  How was I supposed to tell her this, it’d kill her.
“…Rachel’s…dead.” I stuttered.  

Chapter 4

I never regretted anything more than the day I took that job.   Thirty grand is a lot of money…but still.  How much is one girl’s life worth?  Well, it’s worth more than my sanity and compassion, cause I’ve already lost both.   That’s what I have become, an inhuman monster that has no problem in taking a life to make a quick buck.  I suppose I’m not much worse than half the trash out there.
My god, is there really any reproach from such a sin?   No, there wasn’t.  But one thing is for sure, I’m done being a hired killer.  No more playing mercenary for James Gray.  Sam and I will get out of this game…or die trying.      
       Samantha took the news worse than I.  It’s a sad moment when you can hear of such a tragedy and say, “hey, that happened cause of me.”  Me and no one else, hell if James Gray hadn’t been born, the world would be a little better place.  
I decided to stop with the self-loathing and call Samantha, it was time to make this happen.
“Hello?”  She said.
“Ok, I’m in.”  I said.
“What?”
“I mean, the Organization, I want out!” I said.
There was a short pause, I was beginning to have second thoughts.
“But any one who tries to leave dies! Remember, Jimmy?” She said, sharp anger on her tone.
“No, I said you’d die…together, we might have a chance.” I paused for effect.  “So you still in?”
“Ya-yes, I’m still in, Jimmy.”
“Good, meet me outside the Firewall Club, do you know where that is?”
“Yes”

The Firewall was my hang-out when I was younger, its where I first met that ******* Fitch.  It seemed like a good place to leave it all behind.  A full circle kinda thing.  

It’s was about one in the morning when I arrived in the Firewall’s lot, I saw something that worried me.  The mission van was there.  Outside it stood Jay and Samantha, something was terribly wrong.  Before I parked, just to be safe, I grabbed my gun from the glove box.
  When I started walking towards them, I got that sinking feeling, you know the one when something really bad is about to happen?  
“Jimmy! Run!” She screamed, as Jay pulled his piece.
****, I darted behind a car as he opened up.

“What the hell is this, Jay?” I yelled.
“You idiot, no one just leaves the Organization!  They tapped the whole conversation.  You screwed up, James.”

I didn’t respond, but pulled my gun instead.  
“C’mon Jimmy, you didn’t really expect to get away with this, didja?  I mean, don’t you remember the speech Fitch gave us all before we signed on?  No one leaves…not alive anyway.” Jay said, but it was obvious he was intending to talk all night.  Jay was never the one to have long, drawn out conversations with people he was about to kill.  
Well, one thing was certain I couldn’t stick behind this car much longer, I had to do something…but he still had Samantha.  
“How much is Fitch paying you, Jay.  How much to kill your friends?” I said.
There was a short pause, I couldn’t see from behind the car, but I think Samantha was putting up a fight.  That’s my girl.  
“Oh, its not the money, sure that’s a factor.  But you see, when your gone, I’m the new team leader.  Here’s proof: the cheap *******s only have a five grand tag on your head.”
I not really sure why, but I had a quick laugh over that.  Its just one of life’s little quirks, you know.  One day, you livin’ the high life, next moment, you’re dodging bullets in some godforsaken parking lot, fired by none other than your money-hungry-friend-turned-bounty-hunter.  I’m just sure this happens to everyone.
There was some muffled sounds, a struggle it seemed.  I risked a look.
Samantha had managed to strike him in the groin, now was my chance.  Up on my feet, I ran around the car.  He was still crouched over, but raised his gun when I got next to him, but Samantha kicked it from his hand, it landed with a soft “clank” on the asphalt.  I held my gun to his head.
“Jay, Jay, jay.” I said, shaking my head. “That five grand doesn’t seem worth it now, does it?”
“Man, screw you!” He laughed, in that deranged fashion that often occurs in mass murderers before they fry.
  He was once my friend, but he tried to destroy my dreams, so early in their realization, he was the last connection to that old, dark life.  He would have killed me and no doubt Samantha as well, or perhaps worse.  I clenched my teeth.
“Ever stared at the night sky and wonder what it felt like to fly like an angel, Jay?” I said.
He laughed again, this time he stopped abruptly.  “Do it, you stupid motherfuc—“
My gun silenced him, splashing blood onto the van. He fell forward, onto his face.  You know, what’s kinda funny.  In some way, I think Jay wanted out as much as I did, he just never had the guts to try it.  Well, you’re free now, old friend.
I let my gun slip from my fingers, savoring the metallic ring when it struck the asphalt.  Samantha looked at me, her sad blue eyes cutting like fire, straight to my soul, well, what was left of it at least…
I dragged Jay’s body into the mission van, to the driver’s seat.  I was in the rear now, wiring some explosives together, I set a VT fuse for ten minutes and stepped out to find Samantha, her head in her hands, crying.
I kneeled down in front of her, lifted her chin, and taking a last stare into her eyes, kissed her passionately.  We held each other there, in that parking lot for awhile.  Kissing and trying not to think about what we had just done.  Finally, she pulled away from me and disappeared behind a car.  She returned holding Jay’s gun, a Colt 45 Special, complete with gold trimming and illegal ivory grip.  Jay loved that gun more than his own mother, he killed his first man with that gun, it’s was his only real love in this world.  
      “He would have wanted it this way.” She said, handing it to me.
        At first I hesitated, but then I reached out and grabbed hold of it, kissing the warm barrel.  Jay, why’d it have to end this way? I holstered Jay’s gun and took Samantha’s hand in mine, and without a word, we walked to my car.
Several minutes later, the mission van, along with several other cars, went up in a brilliant fireball that was said to been visible for miles.    

© Copyright 2000 Alexander Crino - All Rights Reserved
Erin
Member Elite
since 2000-06-15
Posts 2527
~Chicago~
1 posted 2000-09-02 07:43 PM

I want more!!I know this isnt the end right?? Wow this is such a good story. You better have more or Im gonna kick you butt!
sonjes
since 2000-02-18
Posts 564
North Carolina
2 posted 2000-09-04 05:10 AM

AH! You're killing me with this whole female merc thing...NOW she's crying. I know, you had to get the two characters together and what better way then to show her weak side. So, you had a purpose, but 'I am woman, hear me roar' amd all that jazz.  
  This seems to be flowing along well. You know, I never asked if this was a first write or revised?
  So, I liked the fact that they had to get rid of Jay...Jay was pretty evil. You did a good job of showing that in the first post.
  Well, I have rambled on enough. Will be looking for the next installment.  

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
3 posted 2000-09-04 06:13 AM

See all those asterisks? Those are the ones you missed!   Please try to look at it a little closer next time!  

This is going quite well! Quite a bit of action!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » City of Whispers (Chapters 3-4)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary