navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Kate's Missive
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Kate's Missive Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

0 posted 2000-06-08 09:41 PM

Seagulls lifted to formation across the night sky, barely visible against the faint outline of the approaching sunset. George and Kate had arrived early to their yearly sojourn to the vacation spot they had sought a peace from the everyday stress of life. Oh, it felt so wonderful to arrive. The house they had purchased just years ago was kept nicely, fresh linens, the refrigerator stocked, and the waiting beach at the back of the deck to call them to linger.

"Sweetheart, please, please no work on this trip, I promise you, you will have my undivided attention. "George had reassured his wife that she would indeed.

Kate moved quickly to the kitchen to brew a fresh pot of coffee, tired after the long car ride, and she dreaded the bridge, closing her eyes, and grasping his hand to say a silent prayer. Feeling childish was her silent fear, yet in George's presence, she never withdrew, she simply reached out and he held it, squeezing until they had crossed over.

Pink streams of twilight slowly evaporated giving way to drifts of black. "Darling, I would dearly love some chicken scampi, and a glass of wine, would you do the honors?" Kate loved to cook, but her husband had far outdone her during the past few years. She had intended to allow him to wait on her hand and foot.

Kate reached to the stereo system and put to air the sweet, soft music of Pachebel, and became lost in the Irish sounds in the background.
"Ah, I see someone is in an Irish mood this evening, lassie, well, fine I can handle it, in fact I can handle everything I am free here, and so are you? This is our paradise, and I have only one request?"

"Dare I ask?" Kate smiled.

George crossed over to where she was standing, among the luggage, and the shoes she had kicked off, and put his arms around her waist reaching down, with one thumb to caress her upper lip.

"Yes, NO pouting, my darling, no pouting. I want you to be happy, do you hear me? So happy you are laughing throughout this house, leave everything out there, do you hear me? The worry, the stress, the job, the fear, all of it, now please promise me, promise me you will?"

"Oh, you do love me don't you? You truly do?"

George kissed her lightly, leaving her anticipating more, and threw himself into the chef's mode, wishing to make a delicious dinner for the two of them. Wine was already his visual field as he poured her a glass and watched smiling, as she strolled out to the deck and leaned on the rail, sipping it slowly and throwing her head back. The picture made his entire heart swell with joy.
There she was. Just like he always wanted. His wife, there, with him, safe and comforted.

George set the kitchen to a new aroma of sizzling chicken spices and sauces only he knew how to create. Kate didn't care what was in them, only that she was ravenous and would devour it wanting seconds.

"George, there is something I want to give you, after dinner., sweetheart, please it's very important to me"

Entertaining some ideas of his own, he would allow her the pleasure of having her own timing and waited until after they were finished eating. Dinner was a slow time, to unwind, enjoy and share the trip, the happiness, that neither one of them would ever need feel alone ever again, neither one of them would ever be afraid to share, and open up for they had one another.

Curiousity got the better of him and he said "Ok, you, I've been patient, now what is it, you're toying with me you know and I love it. I love you. I love you now, and always, now you've had your little fun, what is it you want to give me, show me? ummm?"

Kate reached into her luggage and uncovered a small pouch and handed him a pink envelope.
"George, you know how sentimental I am, how hopelessly romantic, and well, sensitive, please I kept this guarded and it's the first letter you ever wrote to me, the first one where I felt worthy enough to deserve your love. Please read it and read the one along with it, the one I wrote and did not send."

"Kate, what? I don't understand, what do you mean the one I did not send?"

Humoring her, he recognized the words to his first letter "You are more than intelligent, more than worthy and you are more than able to carry on conversation."

Kate. Who she was, was entirely wrapped in a letter she never sent but now, now, here in their haven, she knew he would read and understand.

"Dear George,
    all of my life I've been encapsulated in my own world, one of fantasy, emotion, and love. A world where I saw love as completed magic splashed across a page, where dreams met with a realm of reality and passions filled the skyline. Where faith is tested and prayers are answered. I prayed for you once, a long, long time ago, prayed and asked for someone who would fill the beating cadence of my heart with strength and let it beat longer, undergird it with comfort and compassion.

I could not, would not hold you to me if it is not right, yet I know in my heart I asked for another human being to give me the key to their heart. Oh, I was praying in vain wasn't I? And yet, I knew that someday someone would offer it. But they must never know I requested this most favored honor.
  Someday, I will share with you when it safe, and you will know you fulfilled my heart's desire to hold the key to your heart, for you answered the prayer I prayed to stars, not the wind of the ocean, but stars, for they were all I had to hold onto, all I held night after night while I waited, simply waited for another voice, another ear to hear and pull me from death to life.
   I pray my key always turns, but if it should, perhaps some day be rusty, worn, outdated or tossed aside, then my darling, please leave the door open....for you see I cannot live without your love."

Yours, Kate

Night fell.....and the door left opened they loved and heaven opened the doors to their hearts, for they never truly needed a key, she had the key, he had the door and together, they lived within a room of perfect love, where fear has died.

< !signature-->

Kathleen

"How do I love thee? Let
me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace." Elizabeth Barrett Browning

[This message has been edited by Irish Rose (edited 06-08-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Kathleen - All Rights Reserved
amazon_lover
since 2000-04-09
Posts 491
Dublin,Ireland
1 posted 2000-06-08 11:34 PM

Hi Irish Rose,
You've conveyed a very very beauiful and sweet message. I  feel  so light and memmories you've brought are so vivid and I wish it continues forever. Very touching..inspiring..everything I would call it. There is harmony when there is nothing to fear...so beautifully expressed..hats off dear ...all my love to you.

Sincerely
A_L

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

2 posted 2000-06-09 06:12 AM

thank you I'm so glad you enjoyed it, I see you are in Ireland?
Touch the sod for me, God, I love Ireland.......

Kathleen

"How do I love thee? Let
me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace." Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Kate's Missive

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary