navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » My Piano
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic My Piano Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

0 posted 2000-06-06 10:39 PM

I awakened to a quiet house. My mother and sisters had apparently gone shopping and I held a beautiful, sunny Saturday close to my heart. Racing upstairs, from my room in the basement I quickly looked outside to where the sun beckoned and the breeze tempted. Others were already out and about, but there was only one thing I longed to do, here alone, in this time of solitude.

I poured myself a cold Pepsi and took the icy cold glass and bottle downstairs to the basement and approached the corner of the room where it waited for me.

My piano. My grandmother's piano that had been neglected, often covered with dust, and sorely out of tune. No one was home. I did not want an audience, for you see I could only play by ear. I had to wait until I was entirely alone, except perhaps for a group of closely guarded angels who kept company with a hush of their wings to guide.

I sat down on the long black bench and took my shoes off. I had to play with barefeet. At age 7 my mother had taken me for lessons, hoping against hope that I would find my gift. "You are wasting your money, Mrs. Mahoney, she is hopelessly in her own world." And I truly was. The notes on the page a burdensome stone to the beautiful music I felt was stored inside of me. I reached for the middle pedal, knowing it made the notes softer.
I liked that.

I played anything I heard, instantly, on and on and sometimes I would sing along with it. Time stopped, it meant nothing and the music filled my soul and heart with a glorious feeling. Only later, would I continue to feel insignificant when my sister learned to play marvelously and held the attention of everyone in the family as she only displayed a true talent for the sheet music, that to me, was pure Greek.

Moments turned into an hour and then another. In the background I heard the front door.

Closing the top of my piano, I did not know that it would be another 40 years until someone I loved would gift me with a beautiful Baldwin piano for a very special birthday.
My 50h.

Someone I didn't think knew how much I wanted one, needed one, but now I have it. I polish it, shine it and a vase of beautiful silk roses sit on top of it. Along with a candle and a place for my favorite angel.

Kathleen

"How do I love thee? Let
me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace." Elizabeth Barrett Browning

© Copyright 2000 Kathleen - All Rights Reserved
Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
1 posted 2000-06-09 06:43 PM

Irish Rose, I enjoyed this tremendously !
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
2 posted 2000-06-09 07:39 PM

Wonderful story Kathleen.  I can relate so well to it.  I have the piano that was in my home as I grew up, the one I pounded all my hopes and dreams on.  I love it still, though it can no longer be tuned and some keys won't play.
lorilockheart
since 2000-05-06
Posts 206
Alabama
3 posted 2000-06-09 08:16 PM

Kathleen,
I too, play the piano, and like writing it is food for my soul.  I agree - it's definitely something you want to do alone, with no one around.  Glad to see you have one now.  Good nourishment and good writing.
Lori

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean. Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens. Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance. And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance - I hope you dance.
song by LeeAnn Womack
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

4 posted 2000-06-09 09:07 PM

thank you everyone, I'm glad others could enjoy this story, it's funny I never dreamed these memories would ever make a story, but I love writing about the little things and putting it altogether...makes it immortal.

Kathleen

"How do I love thee? Let
me count the ways.

Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
5 posted 2000-06-10 10:58 PM

~Kathleen~

An exceptionally clever and heartfelt piece.
I shall never look at my piano the same again.  I hardly know how to play, but I love my piano just the same.  Does twinkle twinkle little star count? LOL  And I can play happy birthday... so if you listen carefully you will hear me playing that tune for you -  Happy 50th birthday to an excellent poet and writer!  

Beautiful ending:

"Someone I didn't think knew how much I wanted one, needed one, but now I have it.  I polish it, shine it and a vase of beautiful silk roses sit on top of it.  Along with a candle and a place for my favorite angel."

What a vision you have given us.  I find that sometimes the best prose pieces aren't those that are tales made up, but those that are personal and dear to the heart.  Thanks for sharing this!

Take care,
Melissa Honeybee

[This message has been edited by Melissa Honeybee (edited 06-11-2000).]

Songbird
Member Elite
since 1999-12-15
Posts 2184
Missouri
6 posted 2000-06-11 10:33 AM

This is beautiful and I can relate to it very well.
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
7 posted 2000-06-11 03:25 PM

This is a great story Kathleen.  And I couldn't agree more that the music of the soul far exceeds the importance of the music off the sheet.  Wonderfully painted memory.

Abrahm Simons

"In a moment lies eternity
And in a kiss resides forever" - Krista Knutson my bestest friend!

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

8 posted 2000-06-11 07:28 PM

Melissa: thank you so much for the birthday wish and the reply, yes, this was a very real piece of my life.
Septsong: thank you, and I long for the month of September
Dusk Treader: thank you and I might add for everyone to know that while my sister went on to play outstanding piano, she is a writer as well, and a wonderful editor. Oh, darn she doesn't write poetry, too bad  
yet we all have our own gift and she has one just as beautiful.

Kathleen

"How do I love thee? Let
me count the ways.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » My Piano

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary