navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » A Little Story I Wanted To Tell (hopefully)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Little Story I Wanted To Tell (hopefully) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois

0 posted 2000-05-20 12:45 PM

Today as it was hectic and lots running around. Graduation for my daughter from 4th grade. Just a running around kind of day. I made it to my son's school to get him after picking up the girls. You enter into a drive to the school and it brings you around the other side of the school.

It's only a one way, so all the traffic that's there to pick up kids has to leave one way, by one exit.(unless they're in the front of the school) As I pulled around the exit waiting for the multitude of cars ahead of me, I saw two men standing there handing things out as the cars were pulling up to the stop sign.

I saw boxes on the ground, and they each held quite a few orange, small books in their hands. I knew these were small pocket bible's. I was kind of shocked I guess seeing as how our schools these days don't really allow that. But, they were outside! There have come to be many translations of the Bible these days. So I was telling my son to put the window down and get one. I'm always interested in seeing what they have to say, or better yet how they say it.

This is your average pocket Bible of the New Testament. Added are Psalms and Proverbs. It is the well known Gideon Bible that you see in Hotels around the world.

As we took one of these, and I have to say here that they were handed out to every car coming out of the school. I took the Bible and said thank you, and drove off. Wondering what kind of translation it would be. (not knowing at the time it was Gideon)
It was the old trusted KJV.

As I was driving down the road, a thought came to me, and you could say it was placed there because it came so crystal clear, was about all the school shootings, and the Million Mom's who just rallied for safer gun laws. And the thought occured to me that here these 2 men are handing out Bibles to every car at a school!  Isn't that just what we're missing in schools these days?

It choked me up and brought tears to my eyes. No one had the courage to do this? Why hadn't we thought of doing something like this?  I found myself thanking God that these men took the time to try and put back in the people something that's been missing for a long time now. I think it's a BIG part of what is wrong today, but I know there's more to it than that also. It is a major step in the right direction.

And with that, I would like to let you know these important words that are printed in the front of this powerful book. Words that I couldn't have said better myself. TRUE WORDS!

The BIBLE contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable. Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler's map, the pilgrim's staff, the pilot's compass, the soldier's sword, and the Christian's charter. Here Paradise is restored, Heaven opened, and the gates of hell disclosed.

CHRIST is its grand subject, our good the design, and the glory of God its end.

It should fill the memory, rule the heart, and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently, and prayerfully. It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure. It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgement, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, will reward the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

And all of this just really sunk in, and sunk in deep. I thank God they stood outside our school today and I commend them for trying to do something to help others to know Jesus in their lives.
And I hope it sinks as deep for others that read it, as it did for me today.

God bless you all! And God bless this great Nation that we live in. For we are FREE indeed!

[This message has been edited by WhtDove (edited 05-20-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 WhtDove - All Rights Reserved
Snb4everm
since 2000-05-15
Posts 38

1 posted 2000-05-20 01:49 AM

That ia such a wonderful story.  To have the courage to stand up for God.  I could not agree more about the need for God in all schools.  I try so hard to make Jesus part of my children's lives at all times.  I aldso use the WWJD - What would Jesus Do? saying all the time.  Especilaly when my 4-year-old is being 4 years old. LOL  But saying that really changes the situation around. Jesus has the power to touch us all, old or young, no matter who wre are.  We a re all the same inside.  Created in God's image.  Thank you for sharing this story.

Angela   :

Kavika
since 2000-05-06
Posts 35
Wyoming
2 posted 2000-05-20 02:35 AM

Rebecca dear, truly a wonderful and inspirational story.  There should be more witnesses for the Lord out spreading the Word like these 2 men you speak of.  God bless them for doig this, and you for sharing this story with us, for it is touching!

God bless

Grandma Amy

``Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination. ''

- Benjamin Franklin

BSC
Member Elite
since 2000-02-04
Posts 2919
New York, USA
3 posted 2000-05-20 07:15 AM

Rebecca, I too believe it is a major step in the right direction....So many of the kids don't have a clue.  And what was written in the front of the bible, is all so true.  It is a step closer, and each step can start a journey.  Thanks for sharing this.  Bonnie
ellie LeJeune
Member Elite
since 2000-01-10
Posts 4156
King of Prussia, PA USA
4 posted 2000-05-20 07:24 AM

Dear Rebecca; I am so in  awe of these two men and the simple but powerful message they are giving. I wonder if the Gideon Society is doing this at all schools? Wouldn't that be grand!!
Thanks for sharing this wonderful message with us, Beck. A message of hope. Love, Ellie

Alle'cram
since 2000-02-28
Posts 1816
Texas
5 posted 2000-05-20 03:05 PM

Amen Rebecca, Glad you shared this with us. This is encouraging and hopefully contageous.
Bless you for thinking of the good news these men were sharing. Praise God for their work and your thoughts. Marcy

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
6 posted 2000-05-20 06:46 PM

Thanks all, it was just something I had to share  
ROSE MARY
since 2000-04-09
Posts 82
scranton,pa. u.s.a
7 posted 2000-05-20 07:52 PM

beautiful story that has touched many hearts as i read other replies yet from those two mens lead its never to late for any of us to keep the faith and obedience they showed flowing your story encourages and stirs the spirit of each reader
thank u for the wonderful share

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » A Little Story I Wanted To Tell (hopefully)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary