navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » A Soldier's Wife
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Soldier's Wife Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ruby dagger
since 1999-08-01
Posts 76
Wyoming, MN, U.S.A

0 posted 2000-05-21 11:23 PM

"What are you smiling about?" Adara asked her friend, who was staring out the window with a dazed look on her face. Adara looked out the window and saw a beautiful pale blue sky over a lush green field. "The fields don’t look any different than yesterday."

"Just thinking of when I get to see Curran again," Kyra said looking at her friend. "I can’t wait until he comes home." She said with a sparkle in her blue eyes.

Adara smiled, "I was so excited when the messenger came through town with the news that we won the war and our boys are coming home. I can’t wait to see Dace," she said with a smile as she pushed a stubborn lock of ebony hair back behind her ear. "It’s about time that you’ll get to spend more time with your new husband."

"I have been married Curran for three years now. I don’t think you can call him a new husband," Kyra said, then looked out the window again. She really didn’t see the scenery, instead she was seeing Curran’s handsome face, his light brown hair that hung just slightly past his shoulders, his intense green eyes gazing into her soft blue, his muscular arms picking her up and spinning her around, and his soft tender lips against hers.

"But, still, you were married for two weeks before all the men were sent off to war," Adara said snapping Kyra back to reality.

"All right," Kyra said, then with a mischievous glint in her eye, "Just think, we’ll have more than letters to hang on to."

"Thank the Gods! It’s about time too!" They both giggled. Adara looked out the window once more. "Am I going mad or is that what I think I see?" she asked pointing to a spot on the road.

Kyra peered out the window and screamed, "If you see a troop of soldiers then you’re as crazy as I am!" The both ran out the door as fast as they could, they found on the street that some children, women and old men were already waiting in the street for  the soldiers to come home. In the distance the horses were kicking up dirt from the road as they picked up the pace, knowing that food and a stable was waiting for them.

By the time they arrived everyone in town was there. All of the soldiers quickly dismounted  as they were surrounded by villagers. Adara spotted Dace and ran over to his waiting arms and gave him a hundred kisses.  Kyra looked around and saw fathers hugging they children and wives, lovers in tight embraces, old men patting the backs of the heroes, but no Curran. Her heart was beating faster, she pushed her way through the crowd calling his name.

A hand grabbed onto her arm and stopped her. She looked back into a pair of brown eyes, not Curran’s eyes, but his best friend, Reeve. His face held a sorrowful look, in his other hand he held a sword. Kyra looked at his waist to see that his sword was still in his scabbard.

"I really didn’t want to be the one to tell you this," the look in his eyes said it all, and he presented her the sword. "I’m really sorry, he fought bravely in the last battle…"

"NO!" Kyra screamed cutting him off. Then she broke down crying. Reeve held her shaking body in his arms. Adara had come, and was giving her a hug. Kyra was repeatedly saying, "It can’t be, it can’t be." Adara tried to dry her tears but more would come to replace them.

Reeve pushed her now wet, sandy blond hair out of her face. "I’m sorry, I wish I could take his place, I wish that I could have saved him, but this is what happens in war, I’m sorry."

< !signature-->

Luv

Kelly

"Everyone has to grow up, but it's a choice to grow old"  -Vernon Lee-

© Copyright 2000 Kelly - All Rights Reserved
Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
1 posted 2000-05-21 11:39 PM

Very powerful and has a good lesson too!  Your prose is definitely coming along! I enjoyed it a lot!  

*Krista Knutson*

~We are only truly lost when we have lost ourselves~

Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
2 posted 2000-05-21 11:46 PM

Wow, Kell!  This was wonderful!  You're writing was wonderful, you described the scene so well and got the reader into the character of the soldier's wife.  This was an excellent tale on the pain and loss of war, you have great ideas and your skill at writing has improved greatly.  Excellent!  

Abrahm Simons

"A dream unthreatened by the morning light
Could blow this soul right through the roof of the night" - Pink Floyd, "Learning To Fly"

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
3 posted 2000-05-22 04:54 AM

Ouch.

Emotion, and moral all in one. Well told. Succinct and leaves an impression.

Ouch.

Dawn Eclipse
since 2000-01-31
Posts 637
The Horsehead Nebula
4 posted 2000-05-22 04:35 PM

Kell~

I was not disappointed!  Actually, for making me wait almost a whole day longer, yes, I was.... I wanted to read it last night!!!!!  mwwaaaa.....    Great story Kelly, I hope to see more from you!

"Even a fool knows you can't touch the stars, but it doesn't stop a wise man from trying."
Harry Anderson, "Night Court"

*Cassandra Roseen*

netswan
since 2000-03-28
Posts 1369
Washington
5 posted 2000-05-22 07:45 PM

Oh, war ---horrid war and pain and sorrow.
This was a very good story -
The ending incredibly sad ---"sniff"

netswan

Ruby dagger
since 1999-08-01
Posts 76
Wyoming, MN, U.S.A
6 posted 2000-05-23 09:22 PM

Thank you all for your compliments. I'm happy that my work left an impression like this, (but my story is sad so I suppose I shouldn't be happy, should I?) Thank you.

Luv

Kelly

"Everyone has to grow old, but it's a choice to grow up" -Vernon Lee-

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
7 posted 2000-05-24 04:24 AM

Kelly,
These are but the ghosts of war, the dogs of war that howl, realy bad, resulting in more of pain and anguish than of happiness and glory...

Nice writing style. A Sad ending, but true to the subject. Profoundly well-written words.

Regards, sudhir.

Life is like a painting,
That in an art gallery is left hanging,
Though many come just to look at it,
A very few actually come to enjoy it.

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
8 posted 2000-05-24 08:45 PM

This was very, very well written, Kelly (take note ... I don't say that sort of thing often).    You have a knack for narrative and dialogue and I must say that I would love to see you expand on this story.  What I read seemed like a great beginning to a short story.  Let me know if you decide to develop this one more.

Jim

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

9 posted 2000-05-25 06:48 PM

I really like this story. It's very well written, but I would love to see more come from this storyline!  

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -Oscar Wilde

Ruby dagger
since 1999-08-01
Posts 76
Wyoming, MN, U.S.A
10 posted 2000-05-26 05:51 PM

Thank you for your wonderful comments. Just to let you know, I am planing on continuing this story now. Thank you for suggesting that I should.  

Luv

Kelly

"Everyone has to grow old, but it's a choice to grow up" -Vernon Lee-

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » A Soldier's Wife

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary