navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Hitchhiker
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Hitchhiker Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
DestinysCharm
since 2000-04-28
Posts 90

0 posted 2000-05-17 02:36 PM

The Hitchhiker

One day my friends and I are out driving around when we see this guy hitchhiking down the road, my friends yell, "stop pick him up," so I did. He was gorgeous with well maintained long blonde hair, mesmerizing blue eyes, a sweet smile, and a very nice build, almost the perfect male.
   One of my friends made a statement to him about how it must be a bummer too be picked up by other guys, his response shocked us turned out he was bisexual. He was in his twenties a little old for us anyway, but if looks were all that mattered he was it.

Another day I'm driving home from a friends house and it's pouring rain outside, I see him hitchhiking again this time in the opposite direction. I felt bad for him getting soaked so I turned around to go pick him up and find out where he was going. He was going thirty miles in the opposite direction of where I was going, but I decided to give him a ride all the way to his home.
   We got there and he invited me in for a chat which was nice, then after about a half an hour he asked if I wanted some wine, I told him no I needed to get going. Then he asked me why I drove him all the way home? Innocently as I was I explained that it was cause he was hitchhiking, it was raining and I knew you. I was kind of scared at this moment cause I never thought anything like he was thinking, gosh I thought he didn't even like females that much.
    He was polite though and walked me to my car and asked me for my phone number, I thought that was strange, but I gave it too him anyway never expecting to ever hear from him. While I drove home I thought about our chat, he explained a lot of stuff that made me understand him more. He told me how his sister's never approved of who he dated and I knew who his sister's were I went to school with them, which made me understand what he was saying all the more.
   He felt safe from their ridicule by dating men instead, and all I could think is what a shame to have family be able to rule your life like this. He told me they wanted him to date their friends and I knew where he was coming from there also cause they thought they were the best in the school, such a sad situation.

Three weeks later on Easter Day, I come home from church and my friend who was staying with us had left a hand written message saying he called and would call back that night. I almost died I was so nervous, and excited I couldn't wait for the phone to ring. He did call back that night and asked if I wanted to go on a picnic with him at the park on Saturday, I agreed to go with him so he told me to pick him up at his parents house at noon.
   All week I was nervous thinking about it, but also in delight cause Saturday was my Birthday and I felt I was getting a special present that I only knew about. I also knew that this would never amount to anything cause once his sister's found out he was with me all would be over, but I planned on enjoying this one day having a picnic with him.
   Saturday finally came as I drove up to his parent's house praying his sister's would not be there and see me, I figured they'd end it before it even started, maybe paranoia, but I knew them. He came walking out then hopped in the car and we headed for the park, I still could not believe I was doing this with him. I honestly can't remember the picnic part of the journey, I know we walked and talked, but other than that is a blank probably from what followed as we were leaving the park.
   He need to be to work at 4pm and he asked if I could drive him there, so we are heading out of the park and who else in the world would be driving in to see him with me? You guessed it his sister and her friends, I had a convertible so it was inevitable that they would see him. He got out and walked over to their car for a minute or two then came back, I drove him to work and that was the last I heard from him, as I knew it would be.
   Years later I saw him at the mall with this lovely lady he introduced to me as his wife, and it made me happy to know he actually found a woman his family would accept, either that or he finally just decided to live his own life and forget what they would tell him.

© Copyright 2000 DestinysCharm - All Rights Reserved
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
1 posted 2000-05-17 05:04 PM

Interesting story you've written here... I had a little trouble with who was narrating but other than that good piece  

Abrahm Simons

"You...
You are so special
You have the talent
To make me feel like Dirt" - Alice in Chains, "Dirt"

WolfsMate
since 2000-01-14
Posts 121
New York
2 posted 2000-05-17 08:02 PM

A shame when one feels they must live their lives by what other's think. Well done piece.

"You never have to worry...Never fear for I am near"

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
3 posted 2000-05-17 08:39 PM

Destiny:

"He was gorgeous with well maintained long blonde hair, mesmerizing blue eyes, a sweet smile, and a very nice build, almost the perfect male."

What?  Nothing about his personality?  The depth of his thinking?     Just kidding with you.  Interesting story.  I would have liked to see more development of the hitch-hiker's personality to help me better understand his dilemma.  I enjoyed the read.  Thanks for the post.

Jim

DestinysCharm
since 2000-04-28
Posts 90

4 posted 2000-05-17 09:39 PM

Dusk, Thanks, sorry for your confusion it was narrated by me as it is a true story from my life many years ago.

Wolfsmate, Thank you, yes it's a shame.

jboulder, Thanks, as for diving deeper into his personality I wish I could have too   I never really got too know him that well, but I do see where you are coming from and I could have added a little more about him to make it more interesting.

Dawn Eclipse
since 2000-01-31
Posts 637
The Horsehead Nebula
5 posted 2000-05-18 05:06 PM

That was a good piece.  No one should have to wear a mask all their lives, being dictated by other's wishes.

"Even a fool knows you can't touch the stars, but it doesn't stop a wise man from trying."
Harry Anderson, "Night Court"

*Cassandra Roseen*

pandora
since 1999-07-26
Posts 184

6 posted 2000-05-18 07:23 PM

wow... you sure can tell a story!  

good thing he didn't 'succeed' in 'picking you up' after you 'picked him up'... y'neva know what you can pick up from a handsome bisexual hitchiker... hehe

enjoyed this.. thanks for sharing

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Hitchhiker

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary