navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Please Find Enclosed
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Please Find Enclosed Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
WolfsMate
since 2000-01-14
Posts 121
New York

0 posted 2000-05-07 01:18 AM

I received a letter today. All it said was "Please find enclosed". As strange as I found this, I none the less shook the letter out and reread it again. All that came out was the letter and some glittery dust, odd that I thought. Oh well! Laying the letter aside I promptly forgot about it. I was running late for work as usual.

Jumping in the shower, and rushing to get ready to leave I never noticed it. Until I stepped in it. It was slimy. I slid and nearly fell. Sitting on the rocker I took my towel and tried to wipe it off. Very tenacious, and smelled terrible! Damn! Just what I need, the dog puking again! I thought I don't have time for this! Hobbling back to the shower I tried to get it off. It seemed to take forever, but it eventually came off, although the scent remained.

Nothing worse than the dog getting sick now! And I have to go and step in it! Wonder what she got into now? Chauncey, my German Shepherd was always getting into something. But she'd look at you with those big soulful brown eyes and you just couldn't get angry with her. I found her asleep in the bedroom, acting like nothing was wrong. " OK beast! Up, off the bed!" Sleepily she complied, and took her place in the living room.

I finally managed to get dressed, grab my coffee and get out the door. Hope no one notices the smell! I was sure it was evident to everyone around me. God knows I could smell it clearly. The wait for the elevator took forever. Luckily no one was on it. Hank, the security guard was at the front desk as usual." Morning Doc!" and in his usual annoying morning cheer. "Morning Hank...sorry running late today. Here are the keys for the walker. Just make sure you get them back when he's done walking Chauncey. Oh and Hank? Make sure he locks up again OK?" " No problem Doc. Have a good one!" God I hated morning people!

Being late only made the rush hour traffic worse. I finally reached the office! The waiting room was packed. "You're late" Annie my office manager was the expert at relating the obvious. But she ran the office with a smooth efficiency that was envied by all. "Just line them up and let get running." I said. Pulling on my lab coat, I listened to the wheezing coughing and crying coming from the waiting room. Flu season had struck. I was in for a long day.

I've been a pediatrician for 8 years and in private practice for 6 of them. I love kids. Love their wet kisses and sticky hugs, mostly I love knowing that I made a difference. Being single and so focused on my work I never had time for a lasting relationship, much less kids of my own. I had a collection of pictures, scribbling really on every available wall space. I knew each and every child, their families and their pets. I took time to listen to their fears and hopes.

By noon we had caught up. Luckily the morning was reserved for rechecks. I like to start the day with happy healthy kids. Might get home by 7 if I'm lucky, I thought. This was my life and I loved it! Finally the last case, a new patient. Sherri was 10.Her family had just moved to the area, a bright, funny child. Her Dad, who had brought her in also brought her medical records. The only thing of interest was her imagination. According to her last Dr. she was telling fantasy stories; they had even done a psychiatric evaluation.

"Hi Sherri. I'm Dr. Karen. I'm pleased to meet you."  She shyly shook my hand. While I examined her, I spoke with her Dad about the pitfalls if raising a ten-year-old. Things to look for and how to handle the everyday things that occur even in the safest of households. " OK young Lady, time for you and I to get aquatinted." Her Dad was agreeable to going outside while we talked.

We talked about being ten, her friends and her family, a very open and trusting child. I told her about strangers and some of the things that could happen. She listened attentively, nodding her head wisely at times. Altogether adorable. "Do you have any questions for me?" I asked. She looked me straight in the eyes, "Yes. Do you believe in Dragons?" I was a bit taken aback; this was not at all what I was expecting. "Yes. I guess I do. I've never really thought about it." She just watched me.

"You really should you know, they are very really." Then I remembered the note about fantasy. "There are fairies too you know" She told me. She went on to explain in great detail the entire fairy kingdom. I was impressed by her knowledge. A ten-year old knowing so much of what most adults dismissed. I let her Dad back into the room. We discussed a few more things and then they left.

"Well that’s it for today boss. You gonna be on time tomorrow?"  " I hope so Annie, I really hope so!" The drive home is always smoother, less traffic, the sun setting over the horizon. I enjoy this time the most. I grabbed my keys from the night guard, I never remember his name, a stern faced quiet man. I was looking forward to a long and leisurely bath, but first I had to walk Chauncey. She would be so happy to see me walk in. I hope she'd been good all day. I was exhausted!

As I stepped in the door the small hit me, an almost sweet and over powering scent. OH No!  What has she gotten into now? I saw nothing, anything torn nothing on the floor, Chauncey asleep on the couch. "Come on girl! Time for a walk." She raised her head and looked at me as if I was nuts! " Come on Chauncey. I want to rest to you know!' She stretched and loped over to me. It was then that I noticed it, staring at me from behind the kitchen door. Beautiful elliptical green eyes. And glistening pearly blue wings. A baby Dragon?  In my apartment?

Slowly it came forward. Majestic head bobbing, looking at me as it approached.         Chauncey went over and met it half way, licking its face and trying to play with it. "Chauncey NO! Here girl! Get away from it!" She ignored me. I was in a state of shock. They reached me at last. The dragon looked up at me, it's eyes pleading, trying to convey its needs. It rubbed against my hand, not unlike the dog when she wanted attention. I noticed tears it its eyes.

My heart broke, as afraid as I was it needed me. "OH no. No way I'm not keeping you!" When had that thought crosses my mind? It unfurled its wings and wrapped them around both the dog and I. A sweet mewling sound came from it. It almost sounded like 'Please". It couldn't be! OK it was a tough day at work. I must be asleep. This can't be real. Dragons don’t exist. Never have. I pinched myself, slapped at my face, nothing, still asleep. OH well it was a friendly Dragon. Might as well enjoy the dream! The phone rang at that moment. "Hi…no one is here to answer your call leave a message after the tone and I will get back to you as soon as possible".  "Hi Dr Karen?' A childish voice spoke. " It's me Sherri. Hope you liked your letter. And please take good care of Gonkehla. He's a very special Dragon."

Chauncey and Gonkehla both looked me. Then I remembered the letter the dust. Morning is going to be hell now! Wonder who I get to walk a dragon?

"You never have to worry...Never fear for I am near"

© Copyright 2000 Lee Lewis - All Rights Reserved
netswan
since 2000-03-28
Posts 1369
Washington
1 posted 2000-05-07 04:43 AM

LOL LOL what fun -------)
A fantasy story. Don't bring the dog
or the dragon here.  -- My house
is too full with fairies.

netswan

Dawn Eclipse
since 2000-01-31
Posts 637
The Horsehead Nebula
2 posted 2000-05-07 01:33 PM

LOL!  That was awesome Wolfsmate!  The ending really caught me by surprise!  By far one of my favorite!

"Even a fool knows you can't touch the stars, but it doesn't stop a wise man from trying."
Harry Anderson, "Night Court"

*Cassandra Roseen*

Jeffrey Carter
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
State of constant confusion!
3 posted 2000-05-07 09:07 PM

Great story with a surprize ending.

Thanks for the advise on my attempt.

All my love,
Jeffrey

I lie awake in a world filled with dreams,
but dreams can be so real when you don't know you're asleep

Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
4 posted 2000-05-07 09:56 PM

Great story WolfsMate!  Loved the ending too, enjoyed the child and the whole theme.  If you're looking for someone to take care of that dragon I'll be happy to do so... lol

Abrahm Simons

"...Watching fate as it flows down the path we have chose" - Trent Reznor, "We're in this Together"

&dispose
since 2000-01-30
Posts 18

5 posted 2000-05-08 09:35 PM

Do you need a liscence to keep dragons in an apartment?

Anyways, I found this one of the best romaticist stories I have read in a long time. The "child's irony" at the end was a nice touch and gave a certian softness to the story that made the read enjoyable.

"I am not your savior, I am just as f****d as you."
- Stabbing Westward

&dispose

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Please Find Enclosed

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary