navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Mermaid Please
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Mermaid Please Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
WolfsMate
since 2000-01-14
Posts 121
New York

0 posted 2000-05-01 01:14 PM

He was recovering nicely. At least that’s what the Doctors told him. But he still felt awful. It had been three months since the accident. Three long and painful months, and now all he had was time. First there was the car accident, the burns over sixty percent of his body. Next came the news that his wife of 15 years couldn't bear to look upon his scared face. The very same face she once vowed to love for a lifetime. Now his job was in jeopardy. What else could happen? He was alone and lonelier than he could ever remember being.  

He decided that he needed to get away. He had kept a house on the beach since before he was married. After speaking with the Doctors and getting the go ahead he packed his belongs and left for the beach. He loved this spot, not another soul for miles. A place where he could walk at length and not be stared at like a sideshow freak. It wasn't the look of horror on people's faces he hated the most, but rather the looks of pity. He didn't want their pity he wanted their empathy.

The first night he sat out on the beach. Letting the cool breeze flow over him, the waves relax him. This was much better then the glare of fluorescent lights and the rumble of traffic in the city. It had been a lifetime since he's been here. His soon to be ex-wife never like the beach. She preferred the hustle and bustle of the city. Shopping was her forte his was stocks. It seemed that as soon as he made money, she had a dozen ways in which to spend it. Maybe he would be better off without her after all.

He had slept better than he could remember sleeping since the accident. But he knew that today he would have to head to town for supplies. He had only brought enough supplies for the night. Showering and getting dressed he headed to town. He thought he was prepared for the reception he would get, the look on people faces the stares, but they always took him of guard. He walked into the grocery store, and waited for the hush to begin. It was always the same. One person would see him and the rest would follow suit.

As he walked in he noticed a little boy sitting on the floor near the door. The boy looked up at him. "Hiya mister! I'm waiting for my mom. She's shoppin' " The boy look him full in the face and never once looked away. He was stunned. " Hello there. I guess that’s what Mom's do best. Shopping." He said. " You must be the man who lives on the beach. I sure wish I could live on the beach. I'd swim and fish all day. Yup won't need nothing but my swim trunks and fishin' pole" the boy was nothing if friendly. " My names Joey, and my Mom and I live right here in town." Joey extended his hand. " Hello Joey I'm very pleased to meet you. I'm Adrian " he said taking Joey's tiny hand in his.

Behind him he heard the distinct sound of heels on tile. " Joey! Leave the man alone. He doesn't want to be bothered by you. Hello I'm sorry if he's been bothering you, I'm Sue and this rascal is my son Joey. He the official town greeter I'm afraid." The woman was lovely. Bright red hair and sea green eyes. A dotting of freckles across her nose and not one hit of pity in her eyes. " He wasn't bothering me Ma'am, just saying hello" Adrian was clearly uncomfortable with the attention. " Well I hope we see you around again soon" She waved a goodbye and they were off.

He was surprised by the reception. Maybe this was going to be OK after all. He finished his shopping in a lighter mood then the day had started with. Nobody stopped or stared. Most just gave a friendly hello and moved on. Outside the door were a couple of kids with a box of puppies. Mutts each and everyone, all yapping and trying to get out of the box. " Hey Mister you want a puppy? They be real good company." One of the boys asked. He had never had a pet. His parents wouldn't allow it as a child and his wife was allergic to animals.

He went over expecting the children to gasp or make some comment about his scars, but they just offered up the most rambunctious of the pups and hand it to him. " Here this ones the pick of the litter. Almost trained too!" The brown and white speckled pup licked his face in joyful puppy abandon. " He ain't got no papers but he a good 'un fer sure." It felt good to have a living breathing creature touch him again. It had been so long since someone; anyone would even look at him without revulsion in his or her faces. He thanked the boys and packed the pup and groceries in the car.

He stopped on the way home at the pet shop. He bought a new collar, dog dishes and food for the pup, and a few dozen toys. No sense in letting the pup get used to chewing shoes. " Well what shall I call you? Hmmm... Let's see how about Buddy? Yup Buddy, that’s what you'll be My new buddy!" The pup jumped on his lap licking his face and yipping." OK I guess you like the name then" He laughed for what felt like the first time in ages. It felt good. It felt right.

The summer past quickly. He had made several trips to the city to meet with his Doctors. Skin graphs where planned and some had been done. It had been a productive summer. Several times he had seen Joey and his Mom and each time the greeting was a surprise. Joey never failed to greet him warmly. Buddy had grown into a moose of a dog. Playful and friendly to everyone they passed. But he was lonely, not as bad as when he first arrived, but still lonely.

His midnight walks on the beach were a favorite of Buddy's. He would sit and watch the sunset as Buddy romped and played in the surf. It never failed to amaze him how much energy one pup could have. It was late one early September night when Adrian decided to walk alone on the beach. Buddy dutifully stayed behind at his master request. It was a full moon, the stars shinning brightly. He walked alone the shore evading the incoming waves.

He caught the glint on something in the waves. It looked liked someone was out swimming. He had swam these waters in the past, there was a very strong undertow. He watched the swimmer for awhile then started to move down the beach. He thought he heard music. Get a grip Adrian you've been alone too long, he thought. But the music was there, softly sensual, a compelling sound, relaxing. He sat near the oncoming waves, closed his eyes and listen.

The sounds where closer, and seemed to be pulling him along with them. Just as suddenly as they had started, they stopped. His eyes opened he felt it's loss as if something physical had been removed from him. He was at a loss to explain it. Perhaps the swimmer had brought a radio with him to the beach. Yes, that must be it. He searched the waters for the swimmer and found nothing. See that was the answer. Who ever had been swimming had finished their swim and now was on their way home with their radio.

Strange he hadn't seen anyone on shore. Buddy would have barked a fit if someone had been on the beach. He hadn't come across anyone's clothes either. Must be a boat out there somewhere, yes that made sense. Adrian continued his walk feeling the loneliness in every pore of his body. He had received the divorce papers this morning. He never realized how much he missed and still loved her. She had been his life for so long, his reason for living. Now she was gone with the signing of a piece of paper.

He headed back to the house. Buddy was sitting on the steps anxiously awaiting his arrival. Tail wagging; tongue lolling hardly able to control his enthusiasm. It was always a pleasure to go home now. Buddy filled his days with the unconditional love that only an animal could give. "OK Buddy. I know. It was mean of me to leave you here, but you understand don't you boy?" Rubbing the fur at Buddy's neck and trying to fend off his wet roaming tongue, Adrian hugged the dog to him. Tears filled his eyes, he wanted so much, much more than life seemed able to grant.

He heard the music again. It seemed to be carried on the breeze from the shore. He turned and looked to the water. The swimmer was there again. He could see the strokes of arms in the water and the occasional flip of a tail fin. Tail fin! He strained his vision, must be lack of sleep, nobody had a tail fin. "Come on Buddy" he started down to the shore, he had to know what this was. Buddy ran ahead, sniffing and playing as he went.

As he got closer to the shore the music got louder, pulling him closer. He could feel its allure. Sensual, but comforting the closer he got to it the more he want to hear. Buddy was barking and growling, pulling at his clothes, pulling him back. "Stop Buddy. I have to see what this is." He waded out in the surf. The music was stronger. The waves rushing to greet him, the water was pulling along with the music. He dove into the waves. Swimming out to where he had last seen the swimmer, he treaded water and looked all around.

The music was so strong, and then he spotted the swimmer. "Hey! Hey You!" he yelled. The swimmer turned and swam towards him. As they got closer to each other he could tell it was a woman. A beautiful woman and she was wearing very little. Thank God for the water he thought. When she was face to face with him she took his hand. He could feel the tingle all through his body. She never said a word but he could hear her thoughts as if spoken. Hair a cooper hue eyes of the purest green and a smile to die for.

They swam together, he told her of his pain, the loss of his wife and the accident. She listened, never saying a word, but he knew she understood. The sun was approaching the horizon; he didn’t want to leave her. He was happy here. He beg Please don't make me go. In her eyes he saw that she could not let him stay. Her time was at an end. They swam closer to the shore; she released his hand he watched as she swam away, her tail fin high in the air. He didn't believe in mermaids, but he just spent the night with one. Now he understood the allure of their siren's song.

He made it to the beach, rolled over onto his back and promptly fell asleep. The sun was high in the sky and Buddy was at his side when he awoke. Damn what a dream he thought. Buddy woke slowly and gave him the patented 'I'm hungry and you better feed me now' look. " Hey Buddy, what a night. Come on lets get you feed before your die from starvation" He ruffled Buddy's ruff and the dog was off and running for the house. Adrian just smiled.

After feeding Buddy he decided to sit on the front porch. He kept remembering his dream from the night before. Strange what the mind could do when stressed. The one thing he remembered most was the words he seemed to hear from his mermaid. " She will come" strange. Who would come and what did this mean? He remembered telling her about his loneliness, how he wanted someone to love him, as he was now, someone who would look past the scars and see then man inside. Must be his mind providing the answers he wanted to hear.

He went to the shower. Time to get the day started. While undressing he found seaweed in his pockets. No. It couldn't be. It was all a dream. It had to be a dream. Mermaids didn't exist. Did they? But what if they did, and he had spent the night frolicking and swimming? What if it was true? Nah couldn't be. There was a reasonable explanation. He just had to think of one. He probably picked it up in his walk and didn't realize it. Yup, that sounded good.

Later that day the seaweed incident forgotten, he sat in the glider on the porch, just watching the day go by, watching Buddy chase the waves. He heard him long before he saw him. Joey was trying to get his kite air bound, with little effect, running and jumping, flinging the kite to the sky. His laughter could be heard for miles. Buddy decided to join him and offered his doggy enthusiasm to the fray. "Hey Adrian!" the boy yelled and waved. Waving back he noticed Joey's Mom, Sue trailing the rear with a picnic basket.

" Hi Adrian. I hope you don’t mind but Joey and I thought you might like a little company. He just had to try out his new kite. We haven't seen you in town lately" he could see the concern in her face. " No I've been in the city often the past few weeks" He offered her a drink and they sat on the porch watching Joey and Buddy at play. " I'm sorry." She took his hand and just held it. It was a comforting gesture. " For what." She looked him in the eye. "I heard about your divorce. I know how it must hurt."

For the next two hours they sat and talked of everything and nothing. Just enjoyed each other's company. Sue saw past his scars into the man inside. She felt his scars only drew more attention to who he was. In her mind he was strong, gentle and caring. She had watched over the summer at how he responded to Buddy, Joey and everyone he met. He was everything she had ever wanted in a man. Now how would she convince him?

Joey and Buddy came bounding up on the porch. " Mommy, can we eat now? Buddy and I are starving!" Sue laughed ruffled his her. They set out the food on the table. How did one little boy eat so much? He watched Sue as she laughed, and took care of her son. He liked what he saw. She was loving and gentle. She always looked him directly in the face when they talked. He never saw pity in her eyes. It was as if she didn't see his scars, but saw deep inside his soul. She was what he wanted in a woman.

After lunch Joey and Buddy were off again trying to find some new adventure to get into. Adrian wanted some time alone with Sue." Why don't we go for a walk? That lunch you made was fantastic. I ate so much that I need to walk it off a bit" Sue was flattered by his compliment, taking his hand they walked down to Joey and Buddy. "Come on where going for a walk". The four of them walked for what seemed like only a few feet when it was time to turn around. Joey had loaded his pockets with an assortment on beach treasures. Buddy was soaked from his forays into the surf.

The sun was setting and it was time for Sue and Joey to head back to town." Please stay for dinner. It's the least I can do after that lunch you brought" Adrian offered "I wouldn't want to impose on you Adrian. We've been here all day." She made no move to leave. "I insist. Although I'll warn you I'm the worlds worst cook." He offered her his most devastating smile. " How can I resist such an offer?" she laughed. He loved the sound of her laugh it lightened the room. He didn't want her to go. Please Lord, just a few more hours?

Joey and Buddy had fallen asleep on the couch by the time dinner was done. They decided to let them sleep. Both had eaten enough through the day to sustain a small army. Lighting some candles and opening a bottle of wine they sat down to enjoy their meal in peace and quiet. Neither spoke. They didn't have to. A soft breeze blew through the windows, the scent of the sea on the air. He reached for her hand as she reached for his and met in the middle.

" Sue, I want you. Not just here and now although that too, but forever. Please, just listen. I know this is sudden, but I feel it's right. I know I'm no prize. My face is scarred and it will always be so. But I've fallen in love with you.  Can you see past my scars and look at what's inside?"  She took his face in her hands. " What scars? All I see is a man who has become the center of my world. Yes forever."

As their lips met there could be heard the sound of a siren's song in the distance. " She has found you at last my friend." With the flip of a fin the mermaid swam off. Her job completed.

"You never have to worry...Never fear for I am near"

© Copyright 2000 Lee Lewis - All Rights Reserved
Dawn Eclipse
since 2000-01-31
Posts 637
The Horsehead Nebula
1 posted 2000-05-02 08:06 PM

Very powerful story!  It has a wonderful moral to it.  Judge people by what is inside instead of their appearance.  It kept me very attentive.  I hope to see more prose from you in the future!

"Even a fool knows you can't touch the stars, but it doesn't stop a wise man from trying."
Harry Anderson, "Night Court"

*Cassandra Roseen*

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
2 posted 2000-05-04 07:49 PM

I enjoyed your story very much and it ended just as I hoped and expected it too. Great story, great message.  
Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
3 posted 2000-05-05 01:59 PM

Great Work Wolfsmate... kept me engrossed...

regards, sudhir

In any moment of decision,
The best thing you can do is the right thing,
The next-best thing is the wrong thing,
And the worst thing you can do is nothing.
- Theodore Roosevelt

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Mermaid Please

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary