navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » My only real romantic experience
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic My only real romantic experience Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
rojogrande
since 2000-04-10
Posts 29
Fullerton, CA, USA

0 posted 2000-04-22 01:32 AM

It was midday, early August, in Alabama.  It had been raining so the ground was soft.  Good for planting or digging or scrunching between toes.  I gathered up the cousins that were my age, and told them to put on their suits.  It was time to swim in the dammed part of the river.  
    I had just met these people.  They were supposedly family, but they seemed like foreigners to me.  According to my parents, I had met these people when I was younger, but I had no recollection.  However, I had grown to love them in the short time that I had known them.  And now was the time to finally find out why we were brought to this place.
    The trees and moss had soaked up so much water from the previous day's rain, they were exploding with green and life.  The flowers were in full bloom, dotting the landscape with rich oranges and reds.  Everything seemed new after the rain, even the oldest dog was young.
    We ran the two hundred yards to the dock, basking in the rain-cleaned air and the lovely scents of the grass breaking undereath our feet.  The sky was still gray from the rain, but moving, preparing for the upcoming days in which the sun would shine with gusto.
    Where we were to swim also seemed lively, the stronger currents of the overflowing river forcing thedammed up section to move, waves actually breaking on shore.  We hopped in and hesitated, but eventually moved onward.  The trees along the bank were like carnies, beckoning us forward, calling us, wanting to show us what they held for us.  
    We swam along, feeling new things, rocks that jumped with excitement as we got near, having not seen life for years.  The water was alive around us, surrounding us, comforting us, showing us absolute beauty.
    I felt totally at peace.  Being at one with something so foreign to me, brought back instinctual emotions of calm.  I had not to that time, nor have I any time sense, felt like I belonged as much as I did at that moment.  Unknown family withg whom I had bonded, nature in its purest in an area as exotic to me as Mars, the time of day and year, and what had happened to that day all added up, and for that one moment of time everything made sense, filtering through my brain like water, and I was at peace with myself and the world.

© Copyright 2000 Matt Westmoreland - All Rights Reserved
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
1 posted 2000-04-23 12:28 PM

Great piece of writing you got here.  I loved your descriptions and especially the way you described the world after the rain, the river.  Very much enjoyed, hope to see more from you!

Abrahm Simons

"...Watching fate as it flows down the path we have chose" - Trent Reznor, "We're in this Together"

WolfsMate
since 2000-01-14
Posts 121
New York
2 posted 2000-04-25 02:41 PM

Enjoyed this much! Well done!!

"You never have to worry...Never fear for I am near"

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 posted 2000-05-05 05:02 PM

I loved the way you describe the river and everything around it after the rain...."even the oldest dog was young", great ! The way you end, "I was at peace with myself and the world", left me with a peaceful feeling.
Dawn Eclipse
since 2000-01-31
Posts 637
The Horsehead Nebula
4 posted 2000-05-05 07:53 PM

That was a very descriptive story.  I enjoyed it very much.  To be at peace is one of the greatest feelings in the world.  

"Even a fool knows you can't touch the stars, but it doesn't stop a wise man from trying."
Harry Anderson, "Night Court"

*Cassandra Roseen*

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » My only real romantic experience

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary