navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Vision
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Vision Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

0 posted 2000-04-13 06:47 AM

Feeling somewhat sustained from the food offered by his brief encounter with Scrap, Frank still felt the haze and dizziness settling in from combating the fierce struggle against the storm. Everything he needed was in his backpack. His provisions intact and dry somewhat, all he needed was Kathleen. Frank knew he needed something more. Something had been lost years ago, something he cherished, one almost had to squint to catch a glimpse of it. Something so painful and haunting it reaches into your soul and wounds. You want to tell someone, but you can't find the words. Try as you might, it never comes out, and you guard it and lock it away in a room. Then, one day someone appears with a key. Someone you allow in. Words are spoken and it becomes real. Someone knows. Someone cares.

Someone doesn't turn away, just listens and understands. Speaking into the darkness he whispered "Why? Why did those men die? Why?" fighting back uncertainty, he only saw a glimpse, a vision of faces he knew to be true and yet....it couldn't be. It could not be. Splashed across the sky in stark reality he knew them. He had seem them many, many times. Around him, even now he heard sounds of a broken twig, or a splatter of light, or an unfamiliar voice.

Frank continued, as the sounds of silence in a storm of such velocity one can barely function. The next move, the next blink of an eye and perhaps it would be too late. These faces, these men were not in the storm.

They were above it. There were above the clouds, not in the clouds. Washed from the rain not driven by it. These men had already felt the charge of lightning and their faces shone.

"I thought I was alone" Frank thought outloud. "I am supposed to be alone, I'm to do this alone, just for her, just for her."

But he was not alone. This vision, this brief appearing of faces he knew instantly, these were the men he thought he had failed. Only at this moment his fear was replaced by the certainty of their guidance, knowing he had not failed.

Their understanding radiated through time and space and distance.
Acceptance and unconditional leadership in the line of duty. Unconditional service.

Hell gave it the worst it had, over and over again, time after time, the sounds of silence thundered through his ears, during dreams, before dawn. Random moments it would come and haunt. Now, it was different. There was a peace that covered him.

"No one cries harder for peace than a warrior who has lost the will to fight"

"I would like to feel the sun on my face"

These men were above the storm, where the sun never fails to warm. True warmth, everlasting fire, likened to the sun. To a perimeter one cannot touch. A sphere where peace glows and faces guide.

"Over there, this way, continue on and you'll find her" They call to him.
He hears them saying in unison...

"But I am forced to fight on
I dare not stop fighting now"

This vision was Frank's team. The ones he fought with and for.

He realized they were smiling. Had they known how much this mission meant to him? Perhaps. In a flash they were gone, evaporating into the atmosphere but leaving such a sweet glow, it filled him completely. He cried there and the rain fell harder washing the tears to the ground below the feet.

Everything had changed, feelings, soul stirrings, from within flooded him with something he had not experienced. Faith.

"I will find her"

He would know soon enough

to be continued

Kathleen

© Copyright 2000 Kathleen - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2000-11-04 07:14 AM

Kathleen, see my response to "The Storm"...

Karilea
If I whisper, will you listen?...
I would rather be silent and write, then speak loudly and be bound.
KRJ

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
2 posted 2000-11-05 01:34 AM

"why" can be such an all-encompassing question indeed. Another well-done Kathleen.

Chris

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Vision

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary