navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Enemy Within
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Enemy Within Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

0 posted 2000-04-09 08:21 PM

Kathleen, drenched and cold, shivering through chattering teeth gazed upon something she had not expected to find once inside of the cabin. Through dusty cobwebs, and broken down furniture, she fumbled on the first steps, falling into a broken board. In front of her eyes, she saw something move, praying it wasn't what she feared.

Wiping the rain from her face, taking inventory quickly, to her horror she noticed the largest, slimiest snake she had ever seen staring at her with intense dark eyes. They shone like bright lights in this darkened room. She had invaded it's territory. The threat would be who was the strongest, quickest and bravest.

She was frozen, her leg trapped in the shattered board, knowing she could not make a sound. Yet, to remain still Kathleen was certain to be a sitting duck for this treacherous creature who seemed a likely candicate for chef of the evening feasting upon her.

The floorboard creaked and her foot became more lodged in. Blood and scratches already causing pain, she became frantic. Pulling one leg up slightly she gripped the door handle and released her foot suddenly feeling the sharp pain from the damp wood underneath her skin. Easing her leg up, she pulled the board loose and clinced her teeth trying desperately not to scream. The pain was severe, she was faint, the room was spinning.

"No, No, I cannot pass out again, not here, not now" her thoughts fed her. Kathleen fell back and positioned herself on the floor, slowing shutting the door to escape the fury of the hurricane.
One enemy outside taunting her, chasing her, and another within feet from her watching, tossing a tongue in and out of the air. The snake almost mocked her to move, to breathe.

"Why is this happening to me?" She thought. pushing fear aside, knowing her haven was no place for fear. No means to escape and decisions had to be made. Decisions that could have dramatic effects.

The cabin shook, or so it seemed, swaying in the wind. Kathleen hoped for the strength to do what had to be done. She had to kill this unwelcomed enemy and reclaim this sought out shelter using it for her advantage.

She had never killed anything in her life. Needing a weapon, something sharp, she searched the room frantically. It was growing darker, the storm had already dimmed what little light there was and her eyes were not focusing properly.
Flashes of thoughts, instances of choices, all needing reinforcement, flooded her.

Kathleen's leg was badly bleeding now, and she tore the sleeve of her blouse apart as quietly as she could and wrapped it around the wound, trying to stop the bleeding.
It soon filled with blood but she persisted and tightened it more, the pain unbearable.

To her right was a chair, a able and to the left an old, weathered cot and blanket. The floor was badly deteriorated, and she knew if the board could penetrate her leg as sharply and quickly, maybe, just maybe she could use it to free herself from this viable threat.

She gripped the floorboard breaking off several strips until she found the sharpest point., and then she had it. Her knife.

This would have to do. Her belongings fallen behind her on the floor, she had nothing similiar to a weapon. Only this. Only this sharp makeshift knife which would soon be tested.

Almost breathless, dull pain taking over, Kathleen whispered to herself "one chance is probably all you have" She must be quick, steady and on target.

The snake began to move, slightering on it's belly towards her. Kathleen's mouth now dry, her eyes more focused from adrenlin, and her hands feeling the point of the knife she had fashioned.

Feet became inches as her enemy approached. No emotions would defend her, for this enemy did not recognize emotions. It was cold, instinctive, and knew only one thing.  Strike and kill. Tears would not serve her, pleas would not help. Words would not stop this creature from attacking, of that she was certain.

She remembered the words Frank had told her "You can't use your emotions in war, only your weapons"

Her hand held high and saying a silent prayer she lunged toward the snake, noticing in terror it's size and length.

She was not quick enough for it struck her leg and the sting stole her breath.

With one last ounce of will, Kathleen plunged the board into it's neck at the center point of it, driving it hard until it lay motionless before her.

Her wounds brought her down shaking and the enemy had died before her.

Yet, it's mark was undetermined as to it's success in defeating her. She laid there, bleeding and feeling the pull and bite of her skin. It began to swell and pain took over. Crawlling, she made it to the cot and rolled onto it reaching for a blanket.

Her clothes soaked, her skin freezing, she went into shock.

One enemy was down, another was taking over..the enemy of defeat.

Kathleen would need help. She could not do this alone.

Meanwhile, Frank was embarking on another step into finding her, and approached the old man with the sad eyes and gray beard inside of the lighthouse.

"Ahoy mate" the old man spoke. "Only a fool would be in these parts during a storm of such, or a man looking for a woman..which are you?"

Frank answered "I've never been a fool"

Kathleen

© Copyright 2000 Kathleen - All Rights Reserved
Gene
since 2000-01-23
Posts 935
Colorado, USA
1 posted 2000-04-10 12:20 PM

I like your stories about Kathleen. They're full of suspense, romance and very vivid--I could hear the boards break. I like how one story leads into the next (what will Frank do now)? I can see them being joined together to make a book--why not?

~Gene

ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....
2 posted 2000-04-10 01:22 PM

Wow...the suspense!! This is a great prose. I haven't read the others of yours but I guess I'll have to so I can know more about Kathleen and Frank! Great job!

Love and hugs,
Lizzie

"Poetry is the true expression of my soul, it is my ultimate means of communication. It is a rainbow of delight."

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 posted 2000-04-10 02:32 PM

I'm liking this lots ! Please continue !
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
4 posted 2000-04-10 04:58 PM

Interesting story you've got going here, I can't wait to see what you add next!  I'm curious as to how Kathleen got in this situation...

*Pardon Abe for this message from the Discovery Channel*
Oh, and I have this thing with picking out useless details, so please don't take offense from this!  It's just that a snake wouldn't attack a person if it wasn't provoked, a snake would only kill a danger or food, anything else would be wasteful.  And a person couldn't be food... it'd be hard to swallow a human whole!  I think Kathleen's got a Phobia   LOL, I'm sorry I had to say that...
*Now back to your regularily scheduled replies*

Abrahm Simons

"...Watching fate as it flows down the path we have chose" - Trent Reznor, "We're in this Together"

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

5 posted 2000-04-10 05:28 PM

No, I want critiquiing, I can edit, I have never faced a snake, you know this is a book, but I've started in about the fourth chapter.
Would anyone like to hear it from the beginning, and wait until  you read about Scrap, the lighthouse attendant, who....well
it's written with great inspriration!!!

Kathleen

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

6 posted 2000-04-10 05:30 PM

Frank is pivotal, and this story means so much to me, thank you for letting me post on this forum and receive feedback, I'll send another chapter tomorrow....I'll run back and start with chapter one, so it makes sense....now I have a little confidence..well a little....
(it's a very romantic story in case anyone likes that sort of prose!)

Kathleen

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Enemy Within

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary