navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Begining Again (Part I)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Begining Again (Part I) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada

0 posted 2000-03-18 09:26 PM

She walked into the building, hands moist and shaking. It had been a very long time since Stephanie had to work out side her home. Her thoughts were on how she had gotten to this place in her life, not on what was waiting for her inside the steel monster that she was entering. Ten years, she couldn't believe that it had been ten years since she had done this last. She remebered the day it all started. Her hands were moist and shaking that day as well.

Her heart swelled as she looked at her father, so handsomly robed in a tux. The music played in the backround as he kissed her cheek and asked her if she was ready. "Yes Daddy" she said confidently and the joy beemed from her eyes. Straightening her vail a final time she turned to her father and took his arm for the walk down the Isle to her new life. If she had only known who she was really marrying. She had been ecsatatically happy for the first six months of their marriage then it started. "Where were you?" Stephanie exclaimed when David finally walked in the door, four hours late.  
     " I told you I had a business dinner tonight. I don't understand what the problem is?" David shouted back at her.
     "We had plans to go to your parents tonight. It's there anniversary David. We have had these plans for a month! How could you forget?" The tone of her voice was heartbroken and he could see the dissapointment in her eyes. He turned away from her so that she couldn't see the humiliation in his eyes. She touched his arm. "Look at me David. I hate it when you turn away from me when we are talking." He swong around to face he, his humiliation turning to anger.
     "It was an important meeting! I had to be there and win this account for the company! I get home and all you do is bitch and chew at me!!" He screamed at her. He raised his hand and the blow landed fiercly on her cheek. Shocked she cowered on the floor.
     "You hit me." she whispered. Realizing what he had done he knelt by her side and whispered.
     "I'm sorry babe. You shouldn't have made me do that. I'm sorry. I love you and it will never happen again." Tears began to run down his cheeks as he held her in his arms.

Shaking her head to get those old memories out of her mind, she strode confidently into the office. Taking the elevator up to the eleventh floor, she still couldn't believe that this interview was her's. After all this time her master's degree in programming still held some weight. Walking up to the door, taking a deep breath. Trying to calm the nervous twittering from deep within her stomach. Working again after all these years is a scary thought for Samantha Harris. How do I convince these people that I am the right person for this job when I'm not sure I'm right for it. Thinking back to the self assured 23 year old that walked up to Compucorp and stated out right that nobody could do the job she could do. The selfconfidence, the nerve of that woman. If only I could find that spunk back. Pulling the door of the grandious building open, she walks toward her fate. Calm and assured on the outside a bundle of riotous nerves on the inside. Pausing for a deep calming breath she walks into the office of the CEO of Microcorp Industries. Smiling at the pretty young secretary.
     "Hi, I'm Ms. Harris. I have an appointment with Mr. Ross." The Secretary checks her appointment book.
     "Yes Ms. Harris, have a seat and I'll let him know that you are here." Moving to the sofa Sam sits holding her attachee nervously. She finds a comforting thought to keep the jitters at bay. Suddenly the door to the inner office opens and a distingished man emerges.
     "Ms. Harris." Extending his hand. "I'm John Ross, it is my pleasure to meet you." Rising to her feet she takes the extended hand and looks the man in the eye with a smile.
     "Mr. Ross, I really didn't expect to be interviewed for this possition by the CEO." Chuckling he replies. "The head of the programming department is, regretablaly, out of town today. He is a personal friend of mine and very peticular. I thought I'd handle the interviews. He respects my choices. This way please." Leading her toward the office.

He was greatly impressed with her so far. Her resume was more then impressive and her overall additude wasn't pompus and self important. He only had one concern about this woman. There was a blank in her resume of about 5 years. This raised his curiosity as well as his suspitions. He had done his homework, all of her past employers were very impressed with the work this young woman was doing and they expected her to do great things, then suddenly she dissappeared completely from the business. Programming is a active and competative field. Staying current is an absolute must. He didn't want to be hiring a stale employee, expecially when they have to work with Travis. With this thought in his head he asked her to sit.
     " Ms. Harris, I don't like to beat around the bush." He said as he moved behind the large mahogany desk. "I am greatly impressed with your resume and with the recomendations that you have from your past empoyers. What does concern me is the lack of any activity in your resume for 5 years. If you don't mind I would like to know what happened in those years." Sitting back in his chair he looks directly into her eyes. A slight coloring of her cheeks the only indication that she is uncomfortable. Taking a deep breath and looking directly into his eyes she begins.
     " Mr. Ross, I respect your candor and I will be as honest with you as I can without going into great detail. The reason there is no activity on my resume for those 5 years is because I was married and wasn't working for that period of time. I became pregnent and had a difficult pregnancy for the first 4 months, at that time I misscarried and my husband thought it best if I take a leave of absence. He liked the idea of me being home and once the topic of my working came up... he always seemed to squelch it." She nervously figeted in her chair. " My ex-husband could be very umm demanding when he thought he was right. For most of that time I did work for my friend anonoumously. I cannot use that work on my resume because you cannot comfirm that work. My name isn't on any of the offical documentation, that was done to be sure my ex-husband wouldn't find any trail of it. I am sorry but that is as much detail as I am willing to give you. I will understand if you don't want to hire me, but if you do I will prove that I am worth the chance."

[This message has been edited by Marilyn (edited 03-18-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Marilyn - All Rights Reserved
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
1 posted 2000-03-18 09:57 PM

Ah, Marilyn!  This was very good, I can't wait to see where you take this.  Excellent writing Marilyn, I really hope to see more!

Abrahm Simons

Put one foot on the path of life and tread the dagger's path betwixt dark and light.

Pepper
Member Elite
since 1999-08-19
Posts 3079
Southern Florida
2 posted 2000-03-19 08:49 AM

I agree with Dusk Treader ... I'm anxious to follow this story ....
Wonderful beginning Marilyn ....
and excellent writing here ....
L,
Shannon

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

3 posted 2000-03-19 09:37 AM

Anxiously awating part 2....  

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -Oscar Wilde

Rex Allen McCoy
Member Elite
since 2000-01-30
Posts 2863
Sippin a Timmy's in London
4 posted 2000-03-20 01:50 PM

Marilyn ... in the few short minutes it took to read this ... you have managed to capture my interest ... don't stop now ... finish this story so we can step back from the edge
It's a long drop to our own imagination

Rex}<{{{{o>

Windrider Silverbreeze
since 2000-03-21
Posts 33

5 posted 2000-03-21 03:01 AM

You have more the managed to catch my attantion, looks familiar.. and I can't wait to read the second part.

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
6 posted 2000-03-23 04:47 AM

Loved it Marilyn. I better keep my eye open for part 2 !
ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....
7 posted 2000-03-25 11:44 AM

Great piece of writing! I can hardly wait for part two to come out
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Begining Again (Part I)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary