navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » first post in prose
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic first post in prose Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Grandma Jo
since 2000-01-02
Posts 51

0 posted 2000-02-27 06:45 PM

Old Pete
The solitary existence of old Pete Wilson gives people in the village many hours of speculation. They say he's as old as the village.  The only thing they are certain of is that he has been alone on his ten-acre farm since his wife passed away twenty years before. The farm, once plowed and planted is now overgrown with bush and overrun with animals. Often someone in town would ask him how he could live with only the rabbits, squirrels and deer for company. They would say that it wasn't good for anyone to be alone like that without a family, so far from other people. Pete would always smile at their good intentions and go on his way.
Slowly trudging along, Pete makes his way home. He can feel the icy sting of the wind on his weather-browned face. It is a long, cold walk, but he doesn't notice as he hums to himself. He is content in the knowledge that it will be appreciated.
A fierce storm the week before has forced the deer down from the hills. They know there will be food and shelter at Pete's farm. This is the reason for his long trek this morning.
Fearing that there might  not be enough food for all the hungry deer, he felt compelled to make the five mile trip to town. Dragging the heavily laded sleigh behind him, he hears the crunch of ice and snow under the runners. The bright morning sun glistens off the blinding whiteness of the snow. It makes a mockery of the needle-like sharpness of the frosty air.
When he gets home the deer gather 'round him. Their tiny noses and soft brown eyes question the contents of Old Pete's bundles. As he pours a swollen sack of grain into an old wooden trough, he smiles. His leathered face opens and his blue eyes twinkle. His grin brings a youthful glow to his now animated face. The blackened gaps of toothlessness make the few teeth he has stand out almost as white as the shimmering snow. "Yes," he says, talking to a small deer, lovingly nuzzling his hand. "I'm happy. After all, what is a family anyway, but love, attention and needing? Isn't that what I've got right here?"

[This message has been edited by Grandma Jo (edited 02-27-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Jo-Ann Harrison - All Rights Reserved
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
1 posted 2000-02-27 10:36 PM

Welcome to Prose!  A great first post you got here!  And I think I'd have to agree with Pete on his ideas of a family.. and animals might be even better, no bickering, no talking back..  Loved the piece, hope to see more of you soon!

A writer's soul is on paper etched.

In flames I shall not be consumed, but reborn. --
Abrahm Simons

Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada
2 posted 2000-02-27 10:56 PM

Excellent Jo. Good to see you here.  
Rex Allen McCoy
Member Elite
since 2000-01-30
Posts 2863
Sippin a Timmy's in London
3 posted 2000-02-28 12:45 PM

I love animals ... fish ... nature in general ... therefore how could I not love a story like this
excellent writing

Rex}<{{{{o>

[This message has been edited by Rex Allen McCoy (edited 02-28-2000).]

Saxoness
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 1999-07-18
Posts 1102
Texas
4 posted 2000-02-28 05:32 PM

Good story! I could see the Deer's pretty eyes and soft noses in my mind.  

"Glory remains unaware of my neglected dwelling where alone
I sing my tearful song which has charms only for me."

-Charles Brugnot

childomine
since 2000-01-25
Posts 818
st. petersburg, FL
5 posted 2000-02-28 06:11 PM

Good story with an ending so full of truth.  I feel as if I know Old Pete!  
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » first post in prose

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary