navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Where is the Spider?
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Where is the Spider? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California

0 posted 2000-02-25 09:52 PM

Time spins a web from the tree of life and we are caught.  Blown like a feather, we cling, as our need gives us strength.  We touch the lazy leaf in awe, and smell the tangy edge of fruited laughter.  We long for a truth we do not understand.  Days are sometimes our slow enemy.  We allow the dullness of them to seep into our lust and inhibit our exuberance.  Many times a manic dance of wind spins us out of control and before we can think of a purpose, we have passed ourselves and must seek again what we never found.  

We are the umbilicated.  Tied to the past by a severed cord.  Phantom pains do not let us forget our beginning.  The future is chained to us by the microscope of eternity found in children.  We throw out a life-line and glean, through the undeniable coupling of our bodies, destiny.  It is from the depth of this beauty that we recognize youth, far back on the road.  The mirror mimics our exterior, but inside we realize that youth has only become less frivolous and more kind.

There are directions along the road we travel.  Here are some of mine.  To sing when your heart is full brings sweetness to your voice.  To hold on to the hand that walks along the river leads to the appreciation of simple things.  To listen to the message of the sea, humbles an overripe opinion.   To embrace in love is to set a fire that will not be extinguished.  To calm the struggling, trembling fingers of your own grasping search, look inward for the teacher.  Let laughter empty itself into your troubled soup, to sweeten all the bitterness and strengthen all the essential ingredients needed for survival.

To struggle against the web is to be caught more fiercely.  But, if you are still and listening and open, you will appreciate the glistening of its’ craftsmanship and the touch of the air surrounding it.  This peace is fleeting--found in an instant when eyelash meets the cheek.

Does the tree of life concern itself with our struggle?  Tall and sure it holds the web, but can it protect it from what is or will be?  There is a lesson in all that happens.
     I still have not seen the spider.

© Copyright 2000 Martie Odell Ingebretsen - All Rights Reserved
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
1 posted 2000-02-25 11:58 PM

Wow, lot's of good thoughts in this!  I like the ideas and thoughts in this.  Great work!

A writer's soul is on paper etched.

In flames I shall not be consumed, but reborn. --
Abrahm Simons

Mike
Member Elite
since 1999-06-19
Posts 2462

2 posted 2000-02-26 01:18 AM

I have typed and deleted three times Martie.  I envy your ability to express yourself.
But to express yourself, you have to first understand.  I fear that is the real difficult task.  Enjoyed very much.

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
3 posted 2000-02-26 07:29 AM

Martie, this is packed full of truth and wonderful images that come only from your keyboard. I really enjoyed it
Liz

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2000-02-26 12:16 PM

Excellent! This sounds almost like a wise teacher talking to her students.... listen to what she says, Grasshopper.  

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
5 posted 2000-02-26 08:11 PM

Thank you all for your nice comments.  I wrote this for a contest put on by the US postal services.  The contest was for a (shh...senior citizen) to write a letter of things learned from life (living so long) to future generations.  This was the letter I wrote.  No, I didn't win.  
Salooma
since 2000-01-28
Posts 781

6 posted 2000-02-27 02:39 AM

This was very nice....wow. And such a great expressive piece. I really enjoyed this and your ability to tie it all together. Beautiful  

Salma

"Not all the answers lie within your realm or mine, they lie within the borders."

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
7 posted 2000-02-27 05:31 PM

Martie, After attempting my hand at prose, I can only try to express how much I appreciate those of you who can really write. And you have a unique talent, my dear, in both poetry and prose. You slip back and forth like a frog in and out of water, happy as a lark either way, and you make it look so easy. And there are others who post in the prose forum whom I also admire greatly, lots of talent here.
Liz

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

8 posted 2000-02-28 12:19 PM

This is wonderful Martie! You have a way with words in poetry and prose, that's for sure!

Denise

patchoulipumpkin
since 2000-01-01
Posts 196
Bermuda
9 posted 2000-02-28 10:56 PM

Beautiful.  Incredible insights, thank you for the great read.  Wow.
childomine
since 2000-01-25
Posts 818
st. petersburg, FL
10 posted 2000-02-28 11:20 PM

What can I say??  Beautiful!!  I really enjoyed this.
Rex Allen McCoy
Member Elite
since 2000-01-30
Posts 2863
Sippin a Timmy's in London
11 posted 2000-03-01 12:01 PM

Martie ... read this a few times in the past few days ... each time I see something new that makes me stop and ponder for a while ...
very well written

Rex}<{{{{o>

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Where is the Spider?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary