navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » July 24th, 1999
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic July 24th, 1999 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Salooma
since 2000-01-28
Posts 781

0 posted 2000-02-25 06:54 PM

July 24th, 1999

I guess these past few days in Alexandria have taught me well and more than ever reminded me that in my heart there lies so much more than I’ve imagined and so much that I have already forgotten. There lies a childhood filled with laughter and games, friends and family, filled with such an eagerness, such a thrill, and yet how do I regain a day that left me so long ago. A day that once made me happy and once made me sad and that same day which once might have taken all that’s in me and brought it out in rainbow colors.
     But how can I forget that there is so much ahead of me still and so much I have not seen or know or felt. From a young age I was bound to search for answers, bound to pick up pieces that could lead me to the meaning of life. Life, that wonderful yet mysterious shadow unknown to me. It took me in a gave me surroundings and a home, but left me still questioning myself.
     More than ever these days and nights have said to me in silence what I must have known long ago. And it spoke, “As you are reminded of your past and of the memories once escaped, learn to leave new ones behind. For what is a life with no past, no remembered past? What is life without the sentimentals? Don’t only live for the future and what it shall bring, live for each waking moment. Live for life itself. Live for yourself before you live for others. And when you think you’ve lived enough, deny it! For there is no such thing as a life too exhausted. And then you’ll see that when you move on to yet another world, you can take with you all the days you’ve lived happy and fulfilled on this Earth and all the nights you’ve seen and counted star by star and all the people you’ve loved and then you can not find yourself lonely or unhappy or even regretful of life.”
      So now I can see what a fool I’ve been. What an ignorant, ambitious fool. I’ve been living my whole life waiting for the future that I’ve forgotten the present life I lead. I’ve forgotten to make it all count. To make it all shine. And now when I look back and see how full of live I was when I was younger, how eager and how proud. It makes me sad to realize the life I already wasted, the heart I’ve wounded unknowingly, and that flame in me that once had such a vibrant soul and once wildly raged and now seems to have suddenly disappeared into smoke.
     I realize though that although it’s hard being this age, it must be harder being 40 or 50 and totally empty inside, and bare of all necessities of the past. Although they say “youth is lonelier than old age,” I say it’s up to us to make our old age worthwhile. We have to take all we can from this world and give it back through the wisdom of our old age. We have to fill our worlds with stories and memories and happiness and surround our lives with people and togetherness for in the end we do benefit greatly.
     All I can say now is love life and let it love you. Live it with a friendly smile each day and in the end it’ll smile upon you every sunrise and every nightfall. For the sun a moon can be comfort to you as long as you can live happy, satisfied, and full of the life you once lacked. Full of the days you once had and full of the heart once young again.

[This message has been edited by Salooma (edited 02-26-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Salooma - All Rights Reserved
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
1 posted 2000-02-25 09:49 PM

You have not wasted those years, sounds like you learned from them.  This was written well.  I enjoyed your vision.
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
2 posted 2000-02-25 11:18 PM

I'm agreeing with Martie here, it seems to me like you've learned a lot.  A good philosophy to live by, "love life and let it love you."  Enjoyed your writing and your idea  

A writer's soul is on paper etched.

In flames I shall not be consumed, but reborn. --
Abrahm Simons

Salooma
since 2000-01-28
Posts 781

3 posted 2000-02-27 02:35 AM

Thanks a lot you guys. I learned a whole lot just by writing this one.  

Salma

"Not all the answers lie within your realm or mine, they lie within the borders."

Salooma
since 2000-01-28
Posts 781

4 posted 2000-03-16 07:35 PM

Bumping up for any other interested readers..  

"Not all the answers lie within your realm or mine, they lie within the borders."

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » July 24th, 1999

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary