navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Random Acts of Consciousness
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Random Acts of Consciousness Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Nagemx
since 2000-01-20
Posts 14

0 posted 2000-01-29 02:12 AM

Random acts of Consciousness

“Please!  Kill me now!!”  The words rattled in her head and she let loose a scream wracked with anguish.  Instead of an answer, another bolt of internal lightning tore through her, landing in her side and burning brightly.  Her stub of a tongue could not be bitten because its tip had already been bitten off, leaving her to grind her teeth in answer to the screech of agony.
She had been there for days now.  Light to dark, to light to dark.  No meaning in time, only when the next agony would come.  She pressed up against the wall, her head lolling, hair lank and stringy, weighed down by sweat.  Her arms were raised and clasped in shackles embedded in the cold stone wall, keeping her upright.  Her slender body relaxed, her grime-sodden legs sprawled in the alley where they were constantly kicked, tripped upon, and cursed at as passers-by were interrupted in travel.  She whimpered and drew them back to her, twisting her body sideways, wrenching her arm behind her head, leaning against the unforgiving wall.  She slowly withdrew into her mind, spinning a new world.  The pain drifted to some foreign place as she slowly created a dream.
Opening her eyes, she raised a hand to shield her eyes from the surprise of sunlight.  She propped herself up on an elbow, slightly sinking into the straw mat beneath her.  Light, fresh linens covered her body and she found herself clothed in a light, silky, simple dress in a baby blue.  Drinking in the sight with her fresh eyes, she saw a small cabin, wooden, and a single room, but spacious enough for one person.  It was well lit because of the large windows in each of the walls, and the sunlight was streaming in, creating flighty patterns on the floor as the light filtered through the leaves of the treetops.
She rose, stretching her lithe body, reveling in the lack of pain.  Her dream had been horrendous, filled with nothing but torture, and suffering.  She ran her tongue against her teeth, remembering how it had been nothing but a numb stub in her mouth.  But that was just a dream.  Still, she shuddered at the horrific memory.  
Outside, she heard hoofbeats and a smile broke on her pretty, elfish face.  Her large, blue eyes were clear, and pure, and her face held delicate features, a small pert nose, and a tiny mouth.  Her long, gold-spun hair was free of tangles, and magically light.  Sometimes it reflected her moods, flat and without luster when she was in deeper regions of thought, and almost glowing like the sun when she was in the full flush of happiness.  
She listened to the thumping of the approaching beast, noting the pattern of the hooves.  She rushed outside, ignoring hunger in lieu of excitement.  In the glade before her house, she made a stand, and raised her arms, greeting the forest and sending joy to the approaching beast.  A shimmer of light blurred in a tight circle around her, turning faster and faster, and she laughed as a small whirlwind tousled her hair and fluttered her dress.  The pounding of hooves was no longer a pounding, but the ground upon which she stood shuddered lightly and only a blurred buzzing was audible.  
As suddenly as it had begun, it was over, and before her stood a magnificent unicorn.  He was tall, perhaps 19 hands, and his hide was glistening, silky and smooth.  As light washed over him, rippling rainbows danced on his muscular body.  His spiraling horn was approximately 3 feet in length, ending in a dagger-sharp tip.  Blowing sweet breath, he arched his neck and approached the slight girl.  
Without fear, she strode to his magnificent face, and pressed her forehead to his, his horn resting on the top of her head.  She closed her eyes, enjoying the sweet smell of unicorn, and began to talk to him.
“Much love my longtime friend”
As to you, Alicate
“Of your travels?”
Through time and space, and home again
“Why return?”
To bring you on your final journey
Her breath caught in her throat and she pulled away, opening her eyes.  She was confronted by a deep purple orb, the eye of the unicorn.  She could see her reflection, see as well as feel the warm tears coursing down her face.  He nuzzled her gently, his velvet muzzle wiping away her tears, and he pressed his forehead on hers once again.
You would prefer a stranger?
“A stranger?  Is there one of your kind that is unfamiliar with me?”
There are those of the less gentle races that would cause much suffering in your journey, while I come out of love
“I know what must be, but so soon?”
It has been thousands of years
“Time is different for all, fleet of foot for some, while slow and plodding for others.”
Are you afraid?
“No, and I thank you, Llareth.  Of all the unicorn, I love you the best.  We, born the same day, and our dams side by side, despite differences, first touched foreheads and found the same.”
I remember.  It felt as though my soul were complete.  Infantile, I had no knowledge of a soul, but we took each other, and grew together.  It pains me that I am still young, but I would be honoured if you would accept my offer to travel the great journey with you
More tears streamed down her face.
“It is I who am honoured, and privileged.  I love you, my friend, and if I could, I would miss you.  Must we leave right away?”
A short time is acceptable, time for a meal, and talk.  I sense your body’s hunger, and feel my own.  It will be good to be with you.
“Look at her.  She smiles in her sleep.”
Green eyes broke the darkness, slitted and serpentine.  The glowing eyes cast light on the child-like face, where the tracks of tears could be seen.  
The guard stood straight beside the animal priest.  The priest scrutinized the girl, and hissed “Her time grows near.  Perfect.  Take her to the altar.”
With a sigh, the guard took out his keys and unlocked the shackles, dreading what had to be done, and to one so young.  These hellish rituals were taking their toll on him, and he knew he had to retire soon.  If they would let him.
Lifting her frail body, she remained in sleep, he strode swiftly, barely hindered by her slight weight.  He prayed fervently that she remained in sleep.
Her body bounced a little on the back of the unicorn, but it settled down, absorbing the rhythmic stride of the beast, and she felt light, as though flying.  She was a little surprised at the first jostling, because normally, a ride on a unicorn was fluid, keeping even the worst rider seated.  The thought brushed out of her mind and she began to enjoy the ride, despite the destination.
The scenery flew by, green blurs of forest, and as the unicorn picked up speed, it was almost like travelling through solid bands of colour.  Abruptly, they stopped.  
The guard lay the girl down on the altar, smoothing out her tattered, barely blue scrap of a dress.  He ran his hand over the smooth stone, feeling it almost give way under his rough hand.  It was a strange stone, like grey marble with ripples of white, and black and rare strands of gold.  Looking closer, he saw the ripples outlining the girl’s body, first black, then gold, then white.  He knew that wasn’t there before, and he felt a chill dance down his back.  Thinking heroics, he tried to lift the girl, in hopes of spiriting her away, yet could not.  Her body remained on the altar, magnetized.  He tried again, but the power had grown in so brief a time, and now he was being repulsed, as though her body’s magnetism repulsed his.  Try as he might, he could not lay hands on her.  He sighed and looked at her sadly, her innocence shining through.  What was she dreaming?  Whatever it was, he hoped it would see her through to her end.
Before her, rolling past where the eye could see, was the end of the world.  No strange sailors here.  The world ended and the universe began.  The mortal inhabitants of the planet assumed that the world was round because the great turtle’s back curved down, but unnoticed by most, it curved slightly outward .  The mist concealed her legs as she made her great journey across the universe, forever following her lady sun.  

Never regret

© Copyright 2000 Megan - All Rights Reserved
Wendy Flora
since 2000-01-11
Posts 182
Virginia
1 posted 2000-01-29 02:26 AM

YAY!! I LOVE IT!! SO BEAUTIFUL!  (okay, I can stop shouting now... no I can't.) BRAVO!  -wen

"I am everything you want
I am everything you need.
I am everything inside of you
That you wish you could be
I say all the right things
At exactly the right time
But I mean nothing to you
And I don't know why."
-"Everything You Want"
Vertical Horizon

Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
2 posted 2000-01-29 02:51 AM

Wow!  What a wonderful tale, I love it!  Sad towards the end but a beautiful Finish   Much enjoyed, this was great!

In flames I shall not be consumed, but reborn. -- Abrahm Simons

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
3 posted 2000-02-01 01:53 AM

Well done!
Bravo, love tales (tails) of fantasy... will get me every time!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Random Acts of Consciousness

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary