navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Wish
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Wish Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Astraea
since 1999-11-09
Posts 378
California! Yeah! Okay, I'm done now

0 posted 2000-01-17 03:17 AM

Yesterday there was the most beautiful sunset.  Like blue paint cascading from the heavens, pushing, caressing and taking the place of the warm glow of the sun and to be replaced by the cool moon.  Trying to stop the rush inside my heart whenever I saw night fall, see Nyx drape her cloak around our Earth, and the tiny figures immortalized in the stars was a futile thought; too many a time had I wished that maybe, just possibly, I could wake up and watch the sun rise instead of fall.

The grass beneath is soft; the air is sweet; the sky is clear; but my heart is heavy like a lead weight in my soul.  A shooting star passes by.  The one beside me, the one holding me close in the crook of his arm with the tenderness only found in a friend one step from being a lover, whispers to ask what I wished for.  I looked at him, eyes softly boring into his eyes and hesitating.  Wish?  Why wish, I say, looking at him briefly.  He didn't answer; I didn't expect him to.

I can hear an owl gently flapping by and I closed my eyes and concentrated on that fluttery, dreamy sound.  Such a simple sound taken for granted.  Flap, flap.  The owl leaves its roost.  Flap, flap.  Gracefully gliding through the air with the gift no other natural creature could imitate with all the machines in the world.  Flap, flap.  And the mouse's mistake is punished as the owl dove.  A simple sound, so quiet, relaxing, and yet bearing a power even we great humans didn't posess.  I wished we could hear it in the city more often.

Wishing...  I opened my eyes to look at the stars again.  Twinkle.  People say that the stars would grant your wish, stars would always listen, and stars would always be there.  My eyes closed again.  Who needed fairy tales anyway...

"Want to know what I wished for?"  Such a simple question, loaded with many others.  I wasn't the naive little girl anymore.  HE had taught me that.  But the perceptiveness had come with a price.  Who needed such a heart like mine anyway.  I looked at the now dark sky, completely black, but the stars seemed to be more special that way.

He was silent or a long time, matching mine.  Then, just as he was about to dismiss the subject, somehow disappointed, I asked tentatively: "What was it?"

"Just for love.  Unrequited, actually."

"Oh."

Suddenly I was glad that the sun rise wasn't that far away.

"Sometimes stars can only be seen in darkness."

"Sorrow's crown of sorrow is remembering happier things."

© Copyright 2000 Tiffany - All Rights Reserved
JennyLee
since 1999-09-01
Posts 1461
Northwestern, NJ.
1 posted 2000-01-17 12:52 PM

I enjoyed this alot.
Felt like I was in the story.
Well Done  

Jenny Lee

Words bloom like flowers that seem astonished at being born.

L. Pirandello
16th Century Dramatist

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
2 posted 2000-01-17 05:15 PM

Wonderful imagery and I loved the last lines.  A great ending.

In the dew of little things,
the heart finds its morning
and is refreshed.
(ee cummings)

Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
3 posted 2000-01-17 10:45 PM

Beautiful imagery in a wonderful little tale.  What an excellent piece, thanks for posting, I hope to see more from you  

In flames I shall not be consumed, but reborn. -- Abrahm Simons

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
4 posted 2000-01-19 04:04 AM

Nice twist, I must admit that I wasn't expecting it at all!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Wish

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary