navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Real French Wine And a Good French Time
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Real French Wine And a Good French Time Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA

0 posted 1999-12-13 04:21 PM

Four Soldiers From Verdun

Oh yes, it's springtime in Paris, France.
And the flowers are blooming and the birds are singing and it's not by chance.
It happens exactly the same every year, the young girls and boys hearts turn towards romance.

It was on this particular occasion that four army buddies cruised into Paris in our old 1951 Volkswagen beetle and one of us...the Polish guy...said he had relatives in Paris who lived close to the Eiffel Tower or the Louvre.
A quick phone call and we were invited to visit his family for a dinner rendezvous after which we would go enjoy a show at the Moulin Rouge.
When you go to someones home in France they treat you like a King and I don't mean you get the guillotine.

Our French host and hostess had prepared a wonderful meal with a real French flair and they had brought out their finest champagnes and wines and cognac's, and all the young and deliciously pretty french girl relatives were also there.
I believe you get the picture...it was sure to be a fine affair.
We were young party kind of guys so we happily finished off beaucoup bottles of alcohol and whatever else we could kiss or drink or share.

And now we're off to Le Moulin Rouge to see the dancing girls we had heard so much about.
Every word we had heard was true and I have no doubt that I could have seen them better if I hadn't passed out.
The next day we felt a little bad...yes bad about drinking all the alcohol our host had brought out and also hangover kind of bad I have not a doubt.

So we all decided to replace some of the alcohol we had so quickly consumed on that night.  
We didn't have that much money as we were living on the small wages of an American GI, so we purchased some wine and some cognac and of course the quality was not exactly right.
When we presented them to our host he would not even accept them and he was all uptight.

Some angry French words were offered to us.  Some mention of petite mademoiselles and as our angry host spoke our fellow soldier quickly translated the insults and the hurls.
In rapid fire French he was saying the wines quality was not up to their fine french standards and also he felt we were a little rough with the young girls.

To which we made these three replies:  "tres bien" and "cest la vie" and "ditem moi pourquoi le vie est belle".
We had learned these French phrases for moments such as these and as we spoke this French which in English translates to ..."very well", "this is the life" and "tell me why this life is so beautiful" we were now feeling both happy and well.

Because on one hand we knew we had insulted them by offering cheap wines and cognac's but in our hands we now held three bottles of wine and three bottles of cognac for our consumption and pleasure.
And so our journey ends and now it is time to say farewell to Paris the city of sparkling lights, beautiful mademoiselles, seductive can can dancers, romance and fine wines, cheap wines and the four drunken soldiers from Verdun who had just visited Paris for the fun and some leisure.

James@1999

© Copyright 1999 JamesMichael - All Rights Reserved
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
1 posted 1999-12-13 09:35 PM

Interesting story James, I wonder how Parris survived all of the American soldiers and others coming through...  

In flames I shall not be consumed, but reborn.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
2 posted 1999-12-14 12:45 PM

And all I got to do in the service was teach electronics in Illinois...I feel gypped!
merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
3 posted 1999-12-15 12:31 PM

French wine and women.  Too bad you didn't get into more details how the women looked like and acted.  Would had made it more interesting.  Thanks for the tasty piece.
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
4 posted 1999-12-18 05:41 AM

I thank you all for reading my story.  Dusk Trader I believe the answer to that is they loved us and they hated us. Christopher, I lived in France and Germany from 1965 to 1968 and I have revisited since, and also visited Belgium and Holland, and I have always loved those European countries.  I have a fantasy about retiring in Paris, France.  I would sell my home, my car, and everything else and move to Paris..I would find me a rich widow that was willing to share her Parisian home with me.  She would be a nice French miss who valued the pleasure of a passionate French kiss.   We would buy a home in the french countryside and of course we would take the train to our country home for relaxation.  Every summer we would soak up that warm sun on the French Riviera.   Merlynh thank you for desiring to hear a little bit more about the wonderful city of Paris.  James
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Real French Wine And a Good French Time

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary