navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Integrity of the Game
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Integrity of the Game Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California

0 posted 1999-10-26 05:15 AM

Integrity Of The Game

I was seriously grieved this past Sunday while sitting down to watch Game 2 of the 1999 world series. There was a special pre-game presentation of Baseball's All Century Team conducted and for the first time in ten years, Pete Rose was allowed on a Major League Baseball field. Pete, who as we all know, has so tarnished the "Integrity of the Game" with his gambling affiliations and the betting on his own team scandal a decade past.

"Integrity", I thought to myself as the NBC reporter kept jabbing that microphone in Pete's face..."This might be your only chance to tell the truth!"..."The public has a right to know!"...while a baffled Rose fumbled for words to say, looking close to tears. "Integrity", while a gathering of the greatest talent ever assembled on one field in the history of the game waned in the shadows, was this really the best television could muster, to hideously shame a man at what may well have been the high point of his life. "Integrity", alas the reason Baseball refuses to let one of the best pure hitters to ever play the game into her precious hall of fame, while Darryl Strawberry, ten time caught cocaine abuser holds his hand over his heart, doing his best Milli Vanilli imitation during our national anthem. "Integrity."

And still I watched the lackluster affair, million dollar athletes abound, the two best teams money could buy, with none of the zeal and zest I used to have for the sport. Where has the passion gone? How many times have these athletes went on strike? How many of these athletes have held out on their multi-thousand, multi-million dollar contracts? How many fans have suffered for such, and are still suffering. Memory couldn't help but find me in the awe of a twelve year old as Pete Rose hustled around third and buried the catcher at home plate on more time...and I didn't even like the guy.

But it would seem we need those Pete Roses...those Shoeless Joe Jacksons...those scapegoats of society. In a world where Mike Tyson is still granted title shots, and O.J. stills runs as slippery as the wind, where a Tonya Harding can have her highest ranking opponent brutally attacked and still be allowed to compete. In a world where felony convictions are buried and drug tests conveniently lost, so long as your long ball still clears the fences, allowing you to become an Ikon of innocent children everywhere, indeed, hasn't Pete committed the unforgivable sin...I ask you, Baseball, what is Integrity of the Game? I ask you, society, what is "Integrity"?
------------------
Michael Anderson

Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 10-26-1999).]

© Copyright 1999 Michael Anderson - All Rights Reserved
Watcher666
since 1999-10-13
Posts 1606

1 posted 1999-10-26 09:27 AM

I'm afraid that as long as we buy tickets to the games and support these 'athletes', seeing them as 'Super- stars' and not as the human beings they are this will continue.As much as I enjoy sports I have a great deal of trouble imagine paying millions of dollars to drug abusers,rapists and murders.Intergrity? There is none in professional sports.

------------------
Illusion...what we see and what we do...it's all up to you.

Systematic Decay
since 1999-09-15
Posts 1301
That place with padded walls and funny people in white.........
2 posted 1999-10-26 01:19 PM

In this society, money is integrity. If you are honorable, hard working, trying to support a family, you don't have integrity. If you abuse coke, heroin, and every other drug in the world, but you have the money to buy a plastic smile to cover it up, along with silicon body parts and what-have-you, then you have integrity, I am sorry to say, that in this society, integrity is bought rather than earned.

Of course, i have my own personal guidelines for integrity, this is just hw I see society's.

------------------
"Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage."
-Billy Corgan-

Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada
3 posted 1999-10-26 02:17 PM

I agree with what you say here Michael. I adore sports but do not care for the politics of sports. I would much rather support local sports then professional. Where have all the heros gone, that is what I would like to know.
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 1999-10-26 04:23 PM

It cannot even be found on the football field or basketball court or in the player's dugout at the games of children...for the fathers of same mouth loud at the umps, the coaches, and referees...and stomp and yell if their child's team is losing...

so Michael, where should we go from here...? I know, but unfortunately, the courts, and society, sometimes won't let me go there...

DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

5 posted 1999-10-26 07:24 PM

Integrity is personal honor and is only partially dependent on the opinions of those around them. Money, however, makes the world go round. Money and talent talk. Look at High School and the priveleges accorded the athletic and academic elite. Those privileges are what motivates the achievers to achieve.
Look at the entertainment industry. Those that entertain are paid exhorbitant sums and are often allowed to slide on issues and crimes that others would be castigated for. They smile and shake their heads and all is better.

Those villains that seem above the law are a necessary safety valve for the outrage that the common man feels towards the injustices in his own life.

Integrity only exists on a personal level.

------------------
Now and forever, my heart hears ~one voice~.
DreamEvil©

Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
6 posted 1999-10-27 01:23 AM

Integrity is a control factor inherent in higher intelligence; it is designed to prevent (or at least hinder) mankind from using his intelligence to wreak havok on himself or, in particular, others. It is one of the many checks and balances that are necessary in a society whose very precepts of "right" and "wrong" go against the nature of ALL creatures (man included) to seek their own pleasure to the exclusion of all else.

Integrity is the sacrificial lamb that has been slaughtered on the altar of "political correctness;" it no longer matters whether a thing is "right" or "wrong", so long as it is condoned by the ruling majority.

I love this stuff -- keep it coming!

--Kesslynne

------------------
You cannot choose the way of your death, but the path you choose will determine its own end.

[This message has been edited by Skyfyre (edited 10-27-1999).]

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
7 posted 1999-10-27 04:53 AM

Though not an avid sports fan Michael, I am with you 100% on the morals. Another sad commentary on the times here...sad that things like integrity and honor and truth are just words to be flaunted for personal gain or enjoyment rather than representing what they really mean!
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
8 posted 1999-10-28 06:00 AM

Thank you all for the responses. Itegrity does seems to be missing not only in professional sports but society as a whole...a sacrificial lamb, indeed, Skyfyre.
You all have made some very valid points, I appreciate the in-depth replies and agree with every one of them.

------------------
Michael Anderson

Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Integrity of the Game

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary