navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Morality
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Morality Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Systematic Decay
since 1999-09-15
Posts 1301
That place with padded walls and funny people in white.........

0 posted 1999-10-22 11:40 AM

Morality....a sore subject with many people today. Some claim that morals need to be stricter...focusing on family values, God, and/or eliminating teen sex. Other people want morals to be loosened, become less confining, and have more freedom to do things they want to do without guilt. Here's MY opinion.

I think that everyone creates their own morals that they abide by to feel proud of themselves as a person. It matters not what these are. The problems lie in two main areas. One, when a person tries to force morals upon another person. Another is when a person throws their morals out the window for one reason or another.

I hate, I absolutely HATE it when people tell me what morals I should have, what personal standards I should try to live up to. It makes no sense whatsoever. Now what if I tried to ram my morals down the Pope's throat? Why, he'd probably exclaim, "Begone, wretched devil's seed! Take your foul ideas out of my holy presence and back to the gutter where they came from!" My point here is not to criticize the Pope, but to point out that any two people with contrasting beliefs will not have the same morals. So it is very unrealistic to think that an entire society could coexist under the same morals.

I think the real problem in our world today is not the "quality" of morals, but the way many people tend to forget their morals when it's convenient for them. If a person has a no unsafe sex moral, but in a passionate moment where protection is not to be found, they conveniently "forget" this principle, or when a person doesn't do drugs....until his/her friends start doing it, that is what I mean. There are endless situations here.

And, what are my morals, one may wonder? I used to have plenty of morals...I still have a few. I don't believe in sex without love. I don't believe in compromising your personality to fit in, or just giving people the answers you think they want so you can get ahead. I try to be open minded....and I guess that's it. What happened to the rest of my morals? That is a whole different story.

------------------
"Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage."
-Billy Corgan-

© Copyright 1999 Systematic Decay - All Rights Reserved
JennyLee
since 1999-09-01
Posts 1461
Northwestern, NJ.
1 posted 1999-10-22 11:42 AM

Perfectly stated Dear One!!

JENNY

DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

2 posted 1999-10-22 12:14 PM

Perfectly stated my friend, though I would add that we find it hard to get along with others because their morals may conflict with your own. To that, learning to accept differing morals is the problem.

------------------
Now and forever, my heart hears ~one voice~.
DreamEvil©

[This message has been edited by DreamEvil (edited 10-22-1999).]

Systematic Decay
since 1999-09-15
Posts 1301
3 posted 1999-10-22 01:18 PM

Dream, I agree that people with different morals have problems getting along. That is not a problem. Just let the respective morality groups (thats the best word I have right now) let each other live their lives the way they want.

But that is in an ideal society, and our society is far from ideal. We could all get along perfectly fine IF people would accept different views and NOT shove their views and principles down others' throats. But, if that were the case, then a good portion of this essay wouldn't even exist.

------------------
-Billy Corgan-

Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada
4 posted 1999-10-22 02:44 PM

I agree with your statements here. We need to practice open mindedness. We need to be able to accept people for who they are. If you don't get along with one because of their moral stance, they simply aren't going to be one of your close friends. Now if someone rapes or kills in front of your face I believe we need to do something about it, not just walk away. In lesser extremes let them make their mistakes and learn as they go. Life is a lesson we learn by living.
Watcher666
since 1999-10-13
Posts 1606

5 posted 1999-10-22 03:37 PM

Well stated.

------------------
Illusion...what we see and what we do...it's all up to you.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
6 posted 1999-10-23 03:52 AM

Amy-Morals suck!
LOL...and they're completely subjective, like DE said!

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
7 posted 1999-10-23 09:23 AM

I don't think it has to do with morals as much as character or lack there of.
Systematic Decay
since 1999-09-15
Posts 1301
8 posted 1999-10-23 06:22 PM

hoot.....isn't character basically what our morals are? Like in school, they have the posters of the however many pillars of character (I don't remember how many), But I know honesty is one, and isn't honesty just a moral? some people have it, others don't.

------------------
-Billy Corgan-

Richard 33
since 1999-09-09
Posts 187
glen easton, wv usa
9 posted 1999-10-23 07:45 PM

The only being, that has any right to judge,
is God. We are all individuals by nature,
no two snow flakes are ever the same.

Richard

Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada
10 posted 1999-10-23 09:24 PM

Sys...I believe that character and morals are different. You and I may have different morals but that doesn't necessarily mean we don't both have strong character. Strength of character in am individual does mean that they are a moral person. Character flaws do not necessarily intail immoral behavior. hmmm...I think I am talking myself in circles...I did have a point when I started this. I will have to straighten out my thoughts and then repost later.
Systematic Decay
since 1999-09-15
Posts 1301
11 posted 1999-10-24 02:05 AM

Marylin, I am confused at what you mean. If character is not what your morals make you, what is character?

------------------
-Billy Corgan-

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Morality

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary