navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » What Happened
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic What Happened Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa

0 posted 1999-10-21 09:32 PM

What Happened

It was a dark and stormy night...suddenly a shadowy figure peered from a cave...deep in the forest.

"Hey," he said. "Remember me?"

All the little creatures looked and ran away leaving the clearing empty, and the man standing there all alone.

"Nobody remembers me," talking softly looking down kicking his feet.

Raising his arms into the air, he screamed, "No....body remembers...me!"

Then there was a rustling of bushes and seven little men walked up to the cave. Stood there just looking at him cocking their heads.

"Who are you guys?" demanding. The man asked standing at the entrance of that hole.

Looking at each other the little tiny eeine, sort of long bearded guys all together said--in squeaky
voices--all at once. "We're the towns people."

"Towns people?" a look on his face, as if someone had farted.

"Yeah!" one of the little guys said. "It's a small town just over in the next clearing." quickly.

"Your kidding me?" that same odorous sour look painted on his face. "What happened to the city? The houses, the cars!" taking a deep breath shouting, "And all the normal... size... people!" being ferrous.

Again the small guys looked at each other, their eyebrows moving up and down. And one of the smallest of these--small guys said simply, "They're gone."

The man glanced back at the hole he had crawled out of, then again at the sort of small company he had...thinking...and softy said, "Where did they go?"

The tallest of these poor excuse for people said very plainly, "They sort of got burned up." smiling and nodding his head. Then looking at his friends and they all started nodding their heads.

Putting his hands on his hips the man questioned, "Just how...? May...I...ask...that happened?" staring down at them, waiting impatiently trying to control his rage.

They just stood there with blank looks on their faces. Didn't say a word. And time just seemed to go on by. The longest time...went by.

Suddenly the man screamed, "Well...! Did you cook-un all up and eat them or what?"

Then one of them that hadn't spoken before said as a matter of fact, "They got all pissed off at each other...sent their bombs flying...and blew the sh-t out of everything." then moved his eyebrows up and down and then grinned.

The man nodded his head and said pleasantly feeling defeated, "Well that's what a writer get's when he loses himself in his work...wakes up...and the damm world...doesn't care what he wrote."

The little guys looking at each other, as if to say. What's this tall guy talking about?

Wondering the man said, "You little guys read don't you? You do...? Tell me you do?" pleading.

Looking way off in all direction sort of wondering, then started looking at each other they started questioning him. "What's that..? You call reading...yeah, yeah,and... that other thing... writing?"

Okay, the man thought to himself, what the hey. Takes few of them by the hands with the rest of them following, they start walking. "Guess I'll have to teach you--you know am the greatest writer that's alive...ha..." But down inside...he felt a little disapointed.

© 1999 Merlyn Hearn

© Copyright 1999 merlynh - All Rights Reserved
Lost Dreamer
Member Elite
since 1999-06-20
Posts 2464
Somewhere near the Rainbow
1 posted 1999-10-22 06:25 AM

Merlyn, This was really good, keep them coming our way.
JennyLee
since 1999-09-01
Posts 1461
Northwestern, NJ.
2 posted 1999-10-22 09:37 AM

Like very much. It echoes the likeness
of Tolkien's Hobbits!

Jenny

Watcher666
since 1999-10-13
Posts 1606

3 posted 1999-10-22 09:46 AM

Nicely done! Has a good begin for a novel.

------------------
Illusion...what we see and what we do...it's all up to you.

Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada
4 posted 1999-10-22 02:46 PM

Very nice merlyn. You had my attention throughout this piece. Is there going to be more?
merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
5 posted 1999-10-22 06:13 PM

Thanks I thought it was cute when I first wrote and them had to only rewrite about three times. Concidering the three others I'm workinng on are a little harder. They be coming soon. I din't think this one will go too much any much farther but I never know when my brain has in store for me. Novel? Well I got some pieces that are starting to become very long and still working on rewriting them, one could be a novel. But I don't think I'm ready just yet to get into something that much. Yet some pieces are really wanting to spead toward alot of directions.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » What Happened

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary