navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Nuts...:)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Nuts...:) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Clang
since 2005-12-15
Posts 222

0 posted 2008-01-09 01:40 AM

Last October was the fifth anniversary of my diagnosis.  I was branded with not one but two mental illnesses.  It has been difficult to disseminate who I truly am from my symptoms.  Imagine believing in a world full of inspiration and intuition and being told it is an illusion.  

I take upon myself great accountability for my words and deeds these days.  I try to second guess my reactions and ask myself if they are appropriate.  Invariably, I try not to get close to people, for I cannot trust even my own mind to guide me in the right direction.  And, so, I often will remain silent.  I am amazed that I can accomplish this.  I never could before.

Emotions, that elicited great feeling in my writing, were destructive to my ability to interact and communicate effectively with people.  I was a loaded gun.  One never knew what to expect and had to walk as if on eggshells around me.  I never want to put anyone in that position again.  

Brave, outlandish and flamboyant personality traits were deemed manias.  Poetry-clang. (I haven't written a poem in five years.)  The great love of my life was an attachment disorder, although I think about him nearly every day.  
I now question my motives.  I question my life.  I try to figure out what was real and what was delusion.  And I do the same with my life in the present.

There is so much guilt attached to these illnesses.  Things I have said and done.  I was told never to apologize for being mentally ill.  When I look back, I don’t think any amount of I’m sorrys would begin to cover it.  

If I could have one wish, it would be to repeat the past in my now sober (as in medicated) mind.  There are so many things I would have done differently.  At the very least I would like to try.  I guess it’s the same with anyone experiencing some kind of recovery.  I have learned much from my recovering addict friends.   Take one day at a time and live just for/in this moment.

If there is anything I have learned that I treasure from this it’s a greater understanding and tolerance of people…and patience, too.  Sometimes being humbled and finding out you are not ten-feet-tall and bullet proof is a good thing.

I am not ashamed.  I’m in good company.  Tipper Gore, Sylvia Plath, Sir Isaac Newton, Benjamin Franklin, Teddy Roosevelt, Winston Churchill and Ernest Hemmingway are just a few who share(d) my fate.  Guess it’s a gift.

© Copyright 2008 Kat - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2008-01-09 06:02 AM

Well written!! I enjoyed this immensely. And am glad you feel free to speak about this issue..so many don't, thinking it's something to hide. Continued good health to you!
Clang
since 2005-12-15
Posts 222

2 posted 2008-01-09 10:14 AM

Thank you.
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2008-01-09 02:29 PM

You've joined a large group of people who
have decided to find out what it was that
has caused their perceived problems. Good
for you. That is a very brave thing to do.
From my reading, you are taking some kind
of medication to help you through this time.
I am sure you realize that it is possible
you will always be on some kind of medication.

I am sure that you also realize that there
will be a day when you don't want to be on
your medication.

On that day, come back to this post, and
remind yourself of your feelings at this
point in time.

I know you can do it. It will not be easy,
but you seem too intelligent a person to
be swerved from your Passion.

You will write again!

Clang
since 2005-12-15
Posts 222

4 posted 2008-01-09 03:55 PM

Thank you for your encouragement Sunshine.  I don't think I will ever want to go off meds.  They make life possible.  I hope towrite again.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Nuts...:)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary