navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Old School (my first try at prose in a while)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Old School (my first try at prose in a while) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Philmont
since 2004-01-10
Posts 61

0 posted 2006-10-22 01:32 PM

A buddy of mine told me about this experience he had.  I thought it'd be cool to write a story about it for him.  Hope you all like!

======================================================

Gavin drove past the old school twice before he actually got up the guts to drive into the parking lot.  There was a guy there who looked like he might be there to stir up some trouble.  

No, he had to do it.  Drive into the parking lot and look around I mean.  His school was once a medium red round building with two floors and a basement.  Gavin wanted to head down there and see what the teachers were doing there after all these years.  But now the whole building had been demolished, torn down, just a few piles of rubble left.  He was 25 now.  He'd been in grade six the last time he was here, long before he'd even thought of university or worried about what he'd do after highschool or fallen in love.  

So he got out of the car and walked down to the playground.  It was weird, because to his right he could see three huge piles of rubble where the round building had been, but in front of him there were still hopscotch squares painted on the cracked pavement.  He remembered the girls playing.  They'd call out the names of the months and the first person to have a birthday in a month would have to jump into a skiproap game in the middle of the hopscotch squares.  

Gavin kept an eye on the guy who was still picking through the rubble.  He must have been a homeless guy, trying to find some food or something.  Gavin walked further away from where the poor guy was and checked out the old track down the hill from the school to the back.  You could walk down from here and get to Gavin's old house.  He wanted to try it but his car was still parked up there in the parking lot, and he didn't want the bum to steal it.

The grass was growing into all the cracks on the pavement and the games were disappearing.  There was this grid of letters at the one end of the playground.  He couldn't ever figure out what it was for.  

Yeah, so what else can I say?  I think that if I were Gavin, I'd have had a pretty sad experience.  I mean, when you come to your old school and you hope to see people still there -- maybe old teachers you can talk to or stuff like that -- and all you get is a destroyed building it's pretty sad.  

I asked Gavin how he felt about it, if it made him sad.  Nah, he said, it's ancient history now, man.  

I'm pretty sure he was lying.  I mean, he had that kinda embarrassed look as he said it, not wanting to look girly and stuff, you know?  I can imagine him standing there, looking out at the schoolgrounds, remembering chatting and playing with his friends.  There's a lump in his throat.  He looks down at the field, where he and his buddy Alex used to pretend to be peace keepers in the UN or something.  There were trees over there before, by the path to his old house, and a baseball diamond in the centre of the field.  Gavin and Alex and Jordan would police the diamond making sure the grade 1 kids didn't fight each other.  

But it all ended when his mom said they had to move.  Yeah, they were living in an illegal duplex house then and mom was out of a job.  Had to go away from here, where it was pricier to live and head down to the city.  They got a townhouse and Gavin hated that he'd had to leave the nice school.  For the longest time he thought it was the best place he'd ever gone for school.  He hated his new school, where he was picked on all the time.  

But you know how it is.  The years went by and Gavin forgot about the school, until he got lost trying to find his buddy's church one Sunday night.  So he was driving along looking around the old street he used to live in.  Bang.  There it was, and he had to check it out.

© Copyright 2006 Phillip R. Montgomery - All Rights Reserved
jo_kritickisto
since 2006-08-17
Posts 15

1 posted 2006-10-22 02:16 PM

Philmont:

This was a nice and meditative story.  

patience_iago
since 2006-08-30
Posts 54

2 posted 2006-10-22 02:49 PM

Awwwwww!!! How cute is this, i love it.

"There are some days where i believe i might die of an overdose of satisfaction"
-Dali

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Old School (my first try at prose in a while)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary