navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Not a Stormy Night
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Not a Stormy Night Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression

0 posted 2005-06-24 03:08 PM

It was a dark and storming night and the wind swirled…
Ok
It wasn’t,
It was a soft night of clear skies and a nearly full moon, waning, shining bright, but it could have been a dark and stormy night.  If the clouds would have rolled in and the wind had picked up, then it would have been a good night to sit brooding with a couple of fingers of Canadian Mist straight up.  Instead I went walking.  This has become more of a challenge in my neighborhood as the moons have passed overhead, but I tend to remain unnoticed by most.  I also tend to avoid places where people are, excepting bars, and bars tend to be relatively safe.  It was too soft a night for a coat and I hadn’t taken my cane, sort of feeling it was a spry night also.  I crossed the tracks, one park to another, slipping through the fence where it had been cut.  It was always cut somewhere, this was a shortcut used by so many where even the weeds didn’t grow due to the foot traffic.  As I crossed the track I noticed a few boys down by the school smoking blunts and laughing at their own silliness.  The police copter would be by soon to shine a light from above and move them along, but for now they were enjoying the night in their own way.
Many people were out, a nice night brings them out to enjoy a bit of nature in the confines of concrete and brick.
So I was sitting in the shadows of the small park, the lights either shot out or not working again, sipping from my pint.  Yeah I had brought it along, for I felt like a dark and storming night even if the night wouldn’t cooperate.  I watched the traffic go by, slowing to check out the hookers walking from corner to corner.  Kids out playing some game in the street, spilling over from the sidewalk ( yeah, I know, kids shouldn’t be out on the street after midnight, but there they were ).  A ghetto-blaster ( this is a portable stereo ) playing some music that was mostly beat and foul language ( although I was mercifully far enough away not to be able to hear it well).  I had music of my own rolling though my head, for with memory and imagination you don’t need expensive electronics, something the youth of today have never learned.  And beyond that, there was a music to the city, that the Yo boys never listen to even though the are apart of it.  Part of that music, a police siren wailed close by so I closed my bottle and stuck it in my pocket.  That’s the advantage of pint bottles, they fit nicely into a pocket.  The disadvantage is that they are only a pint and I was down to just a couple of sips left.  That’s not a real problem in this neighborhood, there are plenty of places to buy more, from my place in the park I could see two and knew there were more within a block.  It was an easily place to go drinking, lots of choices.  I began walking out of the small park, going home the long way.
As I left, one of the people of the area started toward me, staggering.  I recognized him as being one of the alcoholics, rather than the druggies that roam the area.  Naturally he asked for money, but settled for the bottle with a few sips left in it.  I didn’t head to the liquor store or the bar, I suddenly did not feel like it.  I waved off the hooker who turned her gape tooth smile at a passing car with a couple of drunks checking her out and continued down the street. Crossing under the tracks I headed home giving the moon a glance.  Perhaps tomorrow will be a dark and stormy night, we can use the rain.

Gloom

© Copyright 2005 Aszard Drazlom - All Rights Reserved
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
1 posted 2005-06-24 06:31 PM

Professor,
Seems there is always a bar in your stories. I know nothing of the cities or the bars. But I do find your writing fascinating. Thanks, it's always a pleasure to read ya'.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression
2 posted 2005-06-24 09:38 PM

Thank you, Larry C,
I guess there is, always a bar in my stories,
Perhaps it’s because there’s a bar on almost every corner.
It’s hard to ignore.
Probably too much drinking in my stories too.
Next time,
I’ll try to find a story without either,
But I’m pleased you like my writing
As dark and demented as it may be.

Gloom

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

3 posted 2005-06-26 07:19 PM

I enjoyed it too! Heck, you ARE Prof. Gloom

Can't have too many nice preppy stories, it would get boring!

"That’s the advantage of pint bottles, they fit nicely into a pocket."

Heck yes!!

I really enjoyed this.. your descriptions rock my world. I don't read you enough. Shame on me!

Love's a lovely lad
His bringing up is beauty
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression
4 posted 2005-06-28 11:43 AM

Thank you, LoveBug
Pleased you enjoyed.
I first learned the advantage of pints when I lived in West Virginia and all the good ole boys carried them cause sometimes you just need a sip.

Gloom

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Not a Stormy Night

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary