navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » hopeless hope
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic hopeless hope Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
rm711
since 2002-11-30
Posts 131
Wiltshire, England

0 posted 2005-01-27 05:03 PM

You looked like you needed something to remind you of better times as you sat there on the corner of the road with one shoe and an empty packet of cigarettes
Just because your face is bleeding and your leg is broken that doesn’t make it alright to stop walking, to stop hoping, I said
By that time it was dawn, and the cars had been passing you for hours, and yet no one had stopped to ask you if everything was alright
So I could see where along the line you had lost that hope

I wanted to make it alright, I swear I did, but in all honesty, I was helpless, like you were
Sometimes everyone is helpless because they don’t understand, but I did, I just didn’t know what to do about it. Or maybe I didn’t want to

I sat beside you and started to realize the hopelessness of it all, and the silence was screaming at me to tell you that I cared
And I didn’t because I knew it wouldn’t make any difference, and I didn’t want to waste my breath, but I wish I had
Because out of all the days that I sat beside you, that was one of the few that I felt good for, when we weren’t trying to get high and you didn’t tell me I was useless

I wondered how long it had been since I had known fear like this, but then I stopped because I realized how hopeless I was being, and that it wouldn’t make a difference
I guess it’s stupid and impossible but I wish I had of just known this all before

I don’t remember how long we sat there, but I can tell you that it did get colder
And I wondered if it was me that was cold, because your eyes were so set at that point on the horizon that your whole body was still
I didn’t speak at all because I knew you couldn’t hear me
You weren’t there at all by then

I realized why not all stories have happy endings and it made me sick to know that was just the truth
But it made it alright when, eventually, it was just the end.
And I was sitting there alone and it didn’t get any colder, it was just, gone.

(written as part of an art project.)

© Copyright 2005 Rosie Mitchell - All Rights Reserved
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
1 posted 2005-01-27 07:43 PM

interesting.

i liked this.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2005-01-27 08:24 PM

Let us know how the project turns out.
Lexy
since 2003-01-28
Posts 1038
California
3 posted 2005-02-28 12:24 PM

I like that ending. a lot.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » hopeless hope

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary