navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Will You Be My Valentine ( for Poet deVine)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Will You Be My Valentine ( for Poet deVine) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2005-01-21 01:56 PM

1,269 words

Jennifer knew she only had a few hours to pull her surprise together, so she decided to skip picking up the dry cleaning and hurried home from the supermarket to get started.  She had bought most of his favorite things, and with a little help from Betty Crocker she was about to show him that she was going to be the best wife in the entire world.  She had to chuckle to herself because not only was this the first cake she had ever made, but the first time she had ever cooked for Clark period, and she wanted everything to be just perfect.  

Clark usually did all the cooking saying he enjoyed it after a hectic day, so she didn’t argue with him, but since he got his promotion last week they had been ordering out or going out instead of eating home-cooked meals.  She knew she could do this, after all how hard could it be?

She started to laugh out loud when she saw her reflection in the cupboard door mirror. She thought she looked hilarious in the new apron she bought with all the red hearts on it.  She now questioned her judgment in the store when she thought it a cute touch for Valentine’s Day.

There it was, the pile of food waiting to be assembled into a culinary feast for two and hopefully the pay-off for this work would all be worth it.  She wanted a holiday so badly she could taste it, and was buttering him up to go to Mexico for at least a few days.

She grabbed her small frying pan to serve as her microphone, and bouncing around to the far side of the island she almost sang.  “Well, ladies and gentlemen, today we make for you a tasty dinner for two to include marinated Cornish game hens with a side of wild rice, and pine nuts.  My, just look at these lovely steamed vegetables, and of course my piece de resistance’ ladies and gentlemen, Baked Alaska.”

Wow that sounds good she thought to herself, as she pried open the wee legs according to the package and put the tiny bed of rice into the cavity of the birds.  Almost lovingly she held the little birds in her hand, and as described she lightly buttering their skin, and dusted them with the spices that came with the kit.  She found the oven knob finally and turned it to 325 degrees, but decided after trying 3 times to work the timer she would just keep an eye on the dinner.  

“Oh good grief!” she thought, “I’d better take all these boxes outside to the garbage before anyone shows up, and finds out I didn’t do all this from scratch.  So out she went with her bag to the back lane.

There as if by the usual magic was Mrs. Marshall, her nosey neighbour.

Mrs. Marshall seemed to almost rush over to her, saying,  “Oh my, you are home early today, and I hope everything is okay Jennifer?”  “Poor Clark working all those hours must have really upset your life now.  I don’t see you both jogging together in the morning anymore, and I do so hope you are not fighting?”

“Mrs. Marshall,” Jennifer said, in a tone trying not to show how mad she always made her with her foolish nosey questions, “We are just fine, and we now jog after dinner.  We find jogging at night much more romantic if you know what I mean?”  Knowing full and well she had absolutely no idea at all.

“Well, I must go, I am preparing Clark a very special surprise dinner for Valentine’s Day, so see you soon Mrs. Marshall.”

"My!  I seem to recall you saying you couldn't cook.  What is it so special you are making dear?"

"It's a surprise Mrs. Marshall, can't tell!"

Knowing she won that round anyway, Jennifer walked off to the house with a smirk.  She quickly set the table for two, attending to every detail and had made sure that the wine was in chilling along with the glasses.  She looked at her watch, and realized she just had time to shower, and get ready before Clark was due home so she hurried upstairs, humming in her happiness.

She took a little longer than planned enjoying a bath instead of a shower, that always calmed her and also made her have that “special smell” he loved so much.  She threw on her robe and rushed down to the kitchen to see how those hens and vegetables were doing.  Glancing at the clock she realized she only had less than 10 minutes before he got home, hardly even enough time to get ready!  She opened the oven and let out a shrill.  The oven was cold.  How could that be?  She realized that when fiddling with the timer she had probably done something and now she didn’t know how she was going to ever get this pulled off in time.

As usual she had an instant idea, which in her case was usually a sign of disaster but she decided her plan was perfect.  She found that big bow from Christmas still in the junk drawer, and then reached under the counter for the new un-opened roll of Saran wrap.  She didn’t have much time so she tied the end of it to the front door knob.  She threw off her robe and started twirling around in the wrap, starting at her ankles was the plan and working her way up.   Her plan was, when Clark opened the door, he would find her standing there like a present, and he would she hoped, enjoy unwrapping it.

She was laughing so hard she almost fell over, trying to put the bow in her hand on her head, because she had wrapped her arms up too tight and could hardly bend at all.  Now she knew what accomplishment felt like as she looked over into the living room mirror and caught her reflection.  Not only had she got the bow on her head, but smack dab in the center.  Now to wait.  Well she didn’t have to wait long as she heard the car come into the driveway.  

She wondered what the heck was taking him so long to get from the car to the darn door, but just as her though ended, the door knob was moving, so she jumped over a bit and yelled, “Surprise – Happy Valentine’s Day Honey!”  Utter dread filled her from her red toenails to the red bow on her head.  At the door was not only Clark, with his new boss, but behind them with her mouth wide-open stood a shocked Mrs. Marshall.

That nosey old neighbour had told Clark he was in for a real surprise, and she wanted to see what it was so she followed him and his boss to the house to see what it was.

The last thing Jennifer remembered was seeing Clark laughing, while he turned his boss around, and watching Mrs. Marshall running for home.  The next thing she saw was Clark leaning over her.  Good grief, had she passed out?

“That honey was the best Valentine’s Day present a man could ever ask for.” Clark said.

“You’re not mad at me?”  She started stammering through tears what happened when suddenly he put his finger gently to her lips, and kissed her.

“Honey you accomplished more today than you even realize, I’m not mad at all.  I will probably get a raise, and you can bet Mrs. Marshall won’t be coming over talking to either of us, or minding our business ever again.”

They both laughed so hard until they fell on top of each other.

She grabbed the red bow off the nightstand and plunked it on top of his head, saying, “Okay, Mr. Valentine, so what's for dinner?"
~ The End ~

Unfortunately, This Was A True Story - Husband #2

graphics: By Sultry Rose

Carpe' Diem

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (01-23-2005 08:37 PM).]

© Copyright 2005 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2005-01-21 09:05 PM

Not sure I can top this one...it's cute!

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2005-01-21 09:38 PM

The names were changed to protect the guilty   Believe it or not, I have had worse embarassing moments, but I always bounced back actually.

You don't have to top it Sharon, just write whatever your heart desires.  You get to pick next remember?

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
3 posted 2005-01-21 11:27 PM

oh my gosh that was the cutest story ever!! I have told Jon many times, not to bring people home without a phone call warning first ...to avoid something exactly like this! (I had a neighbor like this too, it took us moving to get her out of our business though LOL)

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
4 posted 2005-01-23 08:34 PM

Susan, I have other stories of married life and think I will write them all down for fun.  Each is true and I should maybe start at Husband #1 when I was really in Clueless Land, and work my way up to how smart I got by husband #4 you think?  

I think that is why I love that t.v. show Desperate Housewives so much, been in 4 different pairs of married shoes, LOL, and all were desperate!

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
5 posted 2005-02-06 01:31 PM

ah Sharon,
What a delightful story. And full of such wonderful images! You know I'm a sucker for the romantic and I LOVE it. Thanks for making my day.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
6 posted 2005-02-06 06:14 PM

Sharon....You are adorable!!  As is this story!  
Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
7 posted 2005-02-06 09:39 PM

Well...this was my favorite husband too!  I ended up throwing him out over a leak in a waterbed, but that is another story and maybe I might just tell you too.  It's funny!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Will You Be My Valentine ( for Poet deVine)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary