navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Santa through a Mirror?
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Santa through a Mirror? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH

0 posted 2004-12-21 03:22 PM

With only the lights of a Christmas tree, she began her traditional reading, “Twas the night before Christmas and all through the”  

Before she finished the first verse, a sparkly-eyed child in the back row jumped up, “I know how Santa Claus really gets in your house!”   All eyes left the warm illustrations of the "stockings hung by the chimney with care" to gaze upon the small girl. The poetic meter was silenced when the adult paused to listen.  

“I do, too.  He comes down the chimney!”

“Does not!  He'd be all dirty if he did. Besides, we don’t have a chimney, but he comes to my house, too!  He uses the door!”

With authority, the normally passive girl announced,  “You both are wrong, wrong, wrong!  He comes through  mirrors!”

“Mirrors?   Says who?”

While the children bantered back and forth about Santa's arrival, the librarian smiled, imagining her grandmother's tarnished silver mirror.  Day dreaming into it, her crow’s feet dissolved and her eyes suddenly awakened.   Holding it by its long floral handle, again, she sat in her wooden swing.   Her long brown hair swayed as she swung her legs,  rhythmically bending, straightening, bending,   then stretching as far forward as they would go, reaching for the sky!   Magically, for a moment, she, herself, flew  among his coursers!    

In the mirror, the frayed ropes had mended and the damp, weathered oak seat had dried.   The hundred year old maple trees that had once surrounded the swing, again grew in magnificience.  And, for an instant before noticing the children had settled, she was in a dimension above them all!   “Could it be?   Santa, through a mirror?”        

As the childrens’ chaotic chatter ended, they began to sidle next to her on the floor  
in anticipation of a delightful story.   Just as she began, she could hear a small voice whisper to her, “You know, he really does come through a mirror.”

~cathy~

*This was inspired by Britany while reading The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore. (His poem will be two hundred years old in less than twenty years!)

[This message has been edited by miscellanea (12-21-2004 07:32 PM).]

© Copyright 2004 Cathy Farmer - All Rights Reserved
milkweed
since 2004-09-07
Posts 42
fields of gold
1 posted 2004-12-21 05:11 PM

Really enjoyed reading this.  Happy holidays.
milkweed
since 2004-09-07
Posts 42
fields of gold
2 posted 2004-12-21 05:12 PM

Really enjoyed reading this.  Happy holidays.
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

3 posted 2004-12-21 10:58 PM

Not a bad story.  I like your use of what, at the beginning seems like a sort of trite inspirational story, as a springboard into something that is much greater and much deeper.  In this way the reader experiences the same sort of voyage through the mirror.  It's a nice piece.

Any idiot can see that the result is true.
-- argumentum ad idiotum
Me!

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
4 posted 2004-12-22 04:55 PM

milkweed and fractal,

Thanks for your kind responses.  I'm glad you enjoyed.   Happy holidays to you and yours.
              miscellanea

merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
5 posted 2005-01-05 02:24 AM

Nice story, only everyone knows Santa’s’ into new age technology, you know the mirrors and stuff they use on the poop tube.
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2005-01-05 09:04 AM

Yes...

mirrors...

Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
7 posted 2005-01-05 09:35 PM

This is a sweet story and I believe with Santa, anything is possible!

Betty Lou

Betty Lou Hebert

jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
8 posted 2005-01-06 01:27 PM

Very interesting...thought I was the only one who was told Santa comes through mirrors...should have known better! But I do think I saw his foot and lower leg disappear into a full-lenght mirror one Christmas eve when I was a kid. . . dream maybe. . .  but after reading this, I have to wonder....

Thanks for this...

Jimmy

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
9 posted 2005-01-13 04:13 PM

Thanks, Everyone!  Have a good day!

cathy

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Santa through a Mirror?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary