navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments from Ms Ginger Michelle Chadwick #1:Flattery versus Praise
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Assignments from Ms Ginger Michelle Chadwick #1:Flattery versus Praise Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....

0 posted 2004-12-07 06:04 AM

Flattery versus Praise

What’s the difference? Both involve saying ‘nice’ things to or about people. I think the key is this: No one ever said, “Praise will get you anywhere” and no one ever said, “Flatter the Lord!”

Flattery, by definition, has a selfish motive and thus is insincere. Usually it involves trying to ingratiate oneself with somebody. Be it to progress in the work place, or to get accepted in the playground, it is a display of recognition of another person’s “superior” qualities. Almost like a ritual. As likely as not, if you flatter somebody, you will both know that these are words with very little meaning.

Praise, on the other hand, is genuine. Parents and teachers don’t praise children as a kind of health benefit for themselves, but rather to encourage a child to identify in him or herself the positive and differentiate it from the negative. A child will know if you mean what you are saying. This must be where we learn the difference…and in certain cases, in our return to the learning ground as a teacher, or to the family unit as a parent, where we are reminded of it.

"Time has told me not to ask for more, one day our ocean will find its shore" ~Nick Drake

© Copyright 2004 ESP - All Rights Reserved
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
1 posted 2004-12-07 12:38 PM

Lizzie,
So very true. Another excellent write. You have no idea how much it means to me that you took the time to do this. I really enjoyed this. Yes mam, an A.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2004-12-07 02:34 PM

This was truly an excellent write again - and you certainly honor not only Larry's daughter Ginger, but the entire world of teachers by taking on these assignments, and I think you deserve an "A+" for heart and soul.

Let there be peace on earth ~ and let it begin with me

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
3 posted 2004-12-07 02:57 PM

and your heart, deserves much praise...as I have seen it and know the beauty within...(no fluff-n-stuff here)
ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....
4 posted 2004-12-07 04:10 PM

Thanks for the replies everybody! I was surprised that people were taking noticed, didn't really expect that!!
Hugz to all!
Lizzie.

"Time has told me not to ask for more, one day our ocean will find its shore" ~Nick Drake

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments from Ms Ginger Michelle Chadwick #1:Flattery versus Praise

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary