navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » I Remember...
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic I Remember... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2004-10-19 12:39 PM

I Remember...
By Larry Chadwick

I remember when we would go to church with my new baby brother. I would sit and watch to see how many people’s attention he got. I was so proud. I remember when my mom would gather me and my baby brother together and huddle up until the thunderstorm had passed. (I did not know then that was for her benefit.) I remember when there was no doubt my mom was the prettiest girl in the world. I remember when mom made three hot meals a day, washed the dirty clothes in the ringer washer and hung them on the clothesline. I remember when mom used to sleep in and my brother and I got to play pretend in the living room with blankets and chairs. I remember what it meant to disobey. I remember when I used to suck my thumb and how proud everyone was when I quit. I remember walking to school for the first day of first grade. I remember leaving home for the last time. It seems mom never changed her mind.

I remember when dad came to school (I was in third grade) and batted balls to us. I remember camping when nothing about it was convenient. I remember our tear drop trailer when it was fashionable. I remember Disneyland when it was new. I remember the redwood forests when Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox were cool. I remember what it meant to voluntarily do the dishes. I remember harvesting Christmas trees for ourselves because it was the season. I remember Christmas when even little boys were happy for clothes. I remember spending three dollars of my own money on mom for Christmas and it counted. I remember holidays when as many family came as possible.

I remember best friends when nobody knocked and you stayed over often, just because. I remember being babysat once a year so mom and dad could go out alone. And I remember the helium balloons they always brought home afterwards. I remember the first time I won Scrabble. I remember the first weekend my parents traveled without me. I remember being home sick at summer camp. I remember how fun loving my parents were in public and at home. I remember when mom made dad spit his milk. I remember getting ready for church every Sabbath. I remember Christmas caroling with my dad.

I remember mom teaching me to bake bread. I remember my first Bible from Grandma. I remember my first Easter candy hunt when I was fifteen. I remember the times my dad got lost driving through Portland, Oregon. I remember the time my dad left mom at the gas station. I remember traveling with my brother by train over the Cascades to Grandma’s house. I remember when my brother and I bought our first car. I remember a time when everybody in five generations of our family was still alive. But mostly I remember what it means to be loved.

October 18, 2004

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2004 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2004-10-19 12:51 PM

you sure have a lot of wonderful love memories, Larry, and I am happy that you share them. I'd like to borrow some of those memories.
And I get lost every time I drive into Portland! LOL.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2004-10-19 11:57 AM

Seems like we grew up in the same neighborhood, if not the same house.  These are wonderful evokings of a time long-gone...but if we are lucky, we will leave traces of those "good old days" for others to remake, anew...

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2004-10-20 02:12 AM

Kacy,
And they always fought about it and neither one of them was ever right. Since we lived in the northwest it was common. So when I became a driver I determined to learn the town just to make my life more pleasant! And you can dip into my memories any time...

Karilea,
How fun to know. And my kids seemed to have their own bundle equally as fun. I like that. I'm sure yours do to. Peace dear friend...

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
4 posted 2004-10-27 06:08 PM

Isn't remembering the loving the most important thing we can do with our lives. If nothing else then that alone helps ancestors to go down in history. Lovely reminiscent write.

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
5 posted 2004-10-30 02:38 PM

Larry:

I really enjoyed your walk down memory lane. I have some of the same memories as you.  One of my most treasured ones is the first time my dad took me to a movie...just the two of us!  I didn't get to spend nearly enough time with him and he died young!  I have missed him all my adult life!
I also remember a time my family went to the Oregon Coast on vacation and every day, dad and I would take long walks down the beach, gathering sea shells and agates. Really treasured times! I did the same thing with my son many years after dad was gone.

Betty Lou

Betty Lou Hebert

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
6 posted 2004-11-03 06:49 PM

Keth,
Thank you dear friend. Yes I believe you are correct. Peace.

Betty Lou,
Thank you for sharing. I'm so sorry for your "too soon" loss. No matter when it always is too soon. My grandpa and I probably combed the same beaches. Thank God for our memories.

ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....
7 posted 2004-12-06 04:32 PM

Wow this is really touching.
"I remember what it means to be loved"
So do I. Thank you for sharing this, it made me think of my own "I remember's"...memories can be sweet.
I am really enjoying reading all your words, and please know that they are touching me in a good way, at a time when I need them most.
Thank you.
Lizzie.

"Time has told me not to ask for more, one day our ocean will find its shore" ~Nick Drake

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
8 posted 2004-12-07 07:41 PM

Lizzie,
I could never ask for more. How wonderful that you have such good memories. You touch my heart deeply, thank you.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » I Remember...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary