navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » On The Record
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic On The Record Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2004-09-10 01:48 AM

On The Record
By Larry Chadwick
With sincerest apologies Drew

I need to report the existence of one of my sons. It is a pity I am so delinquent in the making of this announcement. I did not conceive him. I never changed his diapers. Although there was a lot of crap involved. (He’ll understand.) So while I managed to miss the pleasure of bringing him into this world, I also passed, several times, on the consideration of taking him out. It never was, nor never will be, a love-hate relationship. But by now you have guessed it was, at times, an intense relationship. So we have four boys. I prefer to call him Andy, but for reasons not yet revealed to me, we call him Drew. This announcement is so delinquent that Drew is now, finally, a man and a father. We have considered him ours since just before his sixteenth birthday.

It is not necessary to tell you how challenging his young life was. He has always been willing to play the cards that life has dealt him. But you should know that each of us has surprised the other many times. He was surprised to find, in me, a person that could make him do things he did not want to do. And I was surprised to find, in him, such incredible hidden potential. The joy in it all has been that his blunt candor was the foundation on which he took such a flawed character and made of himself a man of integrity. Drew is twenty-four now. I attended his wedding and he has vacationed at our home with his bride, Katie and her son, TJ, who was six years old.

I apologize for my delinquent behavior because I am ashamed of the omission. And also because Drew is worthy of better. So I knew it was time to set the record straight. Thank you for understanding.

September 9, 2004

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.
© Copyright 2004 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2004-09-10 01:58 AM

"I also passed, several times, on the consideration of taking him out"

*chuckling here*
What a great dad, and it's never too late to tell-the-truth, especially this kind of truth. You ARE his dad in spirit.
Congrats! (and admit it, you had it easy in some ways...diapers are disgusting, even when you love the little poopbutt!)

wllz.on.ice
since 2004-09-07
Posts 35
the united kingdom.
2 posted 2004-09-10 03:40 AM

larry you care so much for your kids.

its lovely

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
3 posted 2004-09-10 01:06 PM

Larry,
   You are so REAL!  I love your humor and the serious side.  Such a nice blending...
             misc'a

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2004-09-11 12:52 PM

Kacy,
NancyLee and I had a great laugh over your response. Thanks. You are right on the money. Bless you.

wllz.on.ice,
Yup you are so right, thank you.

Cathy,
I'm not sure where your lexicon of compliments comes from but I need a copy. You are endlessly kind, thank you.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » On The Record

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary