navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Man's only friend
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Man's only friend Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa

0 posted 2004-04-21 04:00 AM

He was siting in the back at a table by himself black vest and hat, a bottle of whiskey in front of him as he poured one shot after another drinking.  He’d stop now and then and look about the salon as if checking to see if anyone new had walked in.  He noticed me standing there at the bar glancing at him from time to time.

“Come over here,” he said in a soft voice and motioned with the shot glass in his hand.  “Don’t be afraid I don’t bite,” in a friendly way.  I could see the Colt 45 hanging low on his hip and he keep his right hand down beside it.  I could see everyone look his way when he spoke and the sudden fear in their faces.

“Your Black Bart.  Aren’t you?” I said when I got close enough in kicking range and stopped.

“No I’m not.  I’m William Hicks.”

“You’re a gun fighter?  Aren’t you?”

“Oh you mean this.” And pulled his gun from its holster pointing it at me before I could wink.  I heard the folks starting to wrestle for the swigging doors before I could catch my breath the place was empty and he slowly put it back in its keepsake.  “Don’t mind.  It happens every time I pull my friend out.  Someone thinks they’re gonna get shot.” He smiled, and poured himself another shot with his left hand, laying the bottle down and swing it up with the same hand; his right arm just hung limp, motionless.  

“How old are boy?” he asked.
“Fifteen, ” I said, “Almost a man.  That’s what Pa says.”
“You know why I pulled my gun on you?  Don’t you boy?”
“No sir,” I said, and he seemed to look through me.
“You was planing something if I made a move.  Wasn’t you boy?”
“Sure I was . . . I was going to kick you!” I said boldly.
“Why didn’t you!” Then chuckled and chanced his look to serious. “Why you in here for?”
“To get a bottle of whiskey,” I replied
“Aren’t you a little young to be drinking?”
I look up and then smiled, “It’s for my Pa.”  I explained.  “Why do you call your gun your friend?”
“Well boy.  It’s the only friend I’ve ever known who doesn’t talk back unless I let it.”
“Well I’m glad you didn’t let it talk or I’d be dead.”
“Sometimes a gun it’s the only friend a man has when others want to use theirs against him.”

He then told the bartender to get that bottle of whiskey and I went my way.  When I saw Pa he was worried about me because he heard what had happened.  I explained to him it was all right because his gun was only his friend and didn’t talk unless he wanted it to.  A few days one of the boys I knew told me how he had gunned down three other gunfighters in the street at the same time.  I was all excited when I ran home to tell Pa.  He sat me down and told how when Mr. Hicks rode about a mile out of town someone shot him in the back with a rifle.  He said, “Sometimes a friend can’t help you through what may come in life.” I guess I didn’t realize the lesson until years later when I realized friendship can only go so far.

© 2004 by Merlyn Hearn

© Copyright 2004 merlynh - All Rights Reserved
merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
1 posted 2004-04-23 09:28 AM

The theme is the only thing of value in this peice.  It reads like the characters are test dummies!
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2004-04-23 04:01 PM

LOL at you, Sir.  If they read like test dummies, why don't you go ahead and give them some muscle and bone?

I enjoyed the theme of it, myself.  I don't think I've seen someone slam their own work before...

merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
3 posted 2004-04-23 05:23 PM

You have to realize us writers have to take what is given to us nowadays and the only ones left have been tested already. You know siting in car at hundred miles an hour, it's hard enough just trying to get their heads on straight with it being a bent spring  out of place. Those crashes really mess them up!  You ought to seen the other ones I tried on of them had three legs, darn if I know how that happened.
ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....
4 posted 2004-04-27 03:42 PM

LOL I didnt realise you were trashing your own work until I read Sunshine's reply...
Personally I loved your second reply about the test dummies and the three-legged one!
Thanks.
Liz xx

PS: When I once trashed one of my poems in a similar manner, I was told I didn't know what I was talking about--whoever it was that had replied didn't realise I had done that and was attacking me in order to defend me!

"Time has told me not to ask for more, one day our ocean will find its shore" ~Nick Drake

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
5 posted 2004-09-11 09:59 PM

Personally, Merlyn, I thought it was fine.  I rather enjoyed it!

cathy

wllz.on.ice
since 2004-09-07
Posts 35
the united kingdom.
6 posted 2004-09-13 10:58 AM

If the case is that guns are our only friends, does that mean im lonely?

nice write

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Man's only friend

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary