navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Frontier (repost from Philosophy 101)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Frontier (repost from Philosophy 101) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration

0 posted 1999-09-26 12:28 PM

The Final Frontier

It has been said, that space is the final frontier.
Space:
Unexplored but for minute portions. Empty, save mass accumulations of dust faerie dust and stars. It is a depth of darkness that surpasses all imaginations and poses questions as to our solidarity. For decades now, we as a species have been srtiving in intermittent spasms to chart the territories our eyes can see, and find ways to see that beyond our limited vision. It has met with limited success, and has been labeled as the last truly unexplored terrain.
But what if I were to tell you that the saying is wrong, that space is not the final frontier?
What if I were to tell you that there is a much closer expanse of uncharted territory?
What if I were to tell you that the unexplored reaches of the true final frontier could never be reached by a spaceship? That it is so close that you can never see it with your eyes? That the only way you can attempt to fathom the mysteries of this land of unknowns, is to look inside yourself?
The human mind:
An intricate melding of electric impulses and biological tissue. The basics of the brain have long been charted down , and categorized. It is a computer the likes of which have yet to be designed. It is a match for virtually any problem presented.
Yet, aside from the physiological, what of the psychological?
How is it that we only use, on average, three percent of our brain? Even veritable geniuses such as Albert Einstein used less than ten percent of the capacity of their mind. What does that tell you?
That tells me, that there is much more to be discovered about ourselves.
Imagine, what it would be like to utilize your brain to its full capacity. Imagine, if you were able to break through the barrier that prevents us from "opening the throttle." Imagine shifting from first on up to fifth gear. As with a vehicle, the difference would probably be exponential. It would grow with each shift, until the final speed would be something that was incomprehensible to someone operating at the original speed.
And what does the rest of our mind contain?
Is it the secret to the universe?
The answer to whether God exists or not?
Is it the pathway to telekinesis and telepathy?
Is it the answer to what lies outside our planet, in the stars beyond?
I don't know, though I dearly wish I did. Either way, perhaps someday, we will discover the truth inside us. But I have a feeling that this will occur, if ever, much later than the exploitation and exploration of the stars.
The pathway to the universe is a clear one, a delineated goal, which most can see.
The pathway to the exploration of our minds is a goal that may be unattainable.

© Copyright 1999 C.G. Ward - All Rights Reserved
DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

1 posted 1999-09-26 04:21 AM

Agreed, on most every point you raise with this.
As I understand it, access to the rest of our brain's potential is limited by two things. First by the lack of development in our neural net, meaning that neural pathways are reinforced each time an activity is done. These neural pathways do not extend far into the brain itself which leads to the second problem; With the brain being two hemispheres, the communication between sides is somewhat limited. There are neurotransmitters that link the sides. Research has shown that increased communication between hemispheres leads to heightened intelligence, higher reasoning and abstract thought. Just my two cents worth.

------------------
Now and forever my heart hears ~one voice~.
DreamEvil©

Isis
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-06
Posts 6296
Sunny Queensland
2 posted 1999-09-30 01:27 AM

You should talk with my hubby on this one.
But I agree with most you said, we will never reach the final frontiers of space, with the limited technology we have, that is for future generations with more knowlege to go for.
We will in all probability never have the technology to see it all.
There is a twist I'll throw in too, what about the final frontiers of discovering one's soul, emotions, true brain capacity. Etc. There as well we are just cavemen coming out of the cave at night and seeing the moon for the first time and throwing rocks at it..
Think on that my friend and let me know what you think.. I like doing this with you..

------------------
A hero is a man who does what he can.
~Isis~
(The Fragile Rose)

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Frontier (repost from Philosophy 101)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary