navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » In response to Systematic Decay
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic In response to Systematic Decay Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Julie
since 1999-08-20
Posts 739
Houston, TX

0 posted 1999-09-26 12:08 PM

by: Max Ehrmann
Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story...Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nuture strengh of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and lonliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. you are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

------------------
Julie
-------------------------
Thou who has given so much to me,
give one thing more: a grateful heart.
>George Herbert

© Copyright 1999 Julie - All Rights Reserved
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
1 posted 1999-09-26 12:24 PM

That was very nice Julie.
And a very appropriate response as well, thank you for sharing it with us. Though I disagree on a few points, I believe the spirit of it to be correct.

DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

2 posted 1999-09-26 04:07 AM

Welcome to Passions in Prose!

In a utopia such sentiment would work wonderfully, however the innate evil and selfishness of mankind would prevent such from ever coming to pass. Also, 'tis easy to voice such advice when one is not burdened by overwhelming depression or faced with the immensity of wrong in their life.

There is wisdom in some of these words yet others ring hollow.

I hope you will continue to add to the richness of Prose. Thank you, dear Lady.

------------------
Now and forever my heart hears ~one voice~.
DreamEvil©

Systematic Decay
since 1999-09-15
Posts 1301
That place with padded walls and funny people in white.........
3 posted 1999-09-26 03:36 PM

Dream, I agree with your statement that some of the words have wisdom while others are hollow......

However, I found it interesting that you assumed that Julie is not "not burdened by overwhelming depression or faced with the immensity of wrong in their life."

Do you know this? Or is it just an assumption? I could just be making myself sound like an idiot here, for all I know, you and Julie are brother and sister and you know her like the back of your hand, but I thought I'd comment anyway.

------------------
"Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage."
-Billy Corgan-

Julie
since 1999-08-20
Posts 739
Houston, TX
4 posted 1999-09-26 04:53 PM

Systematic Decay: Thanks for coming to my
rescue here...but I can handle DE (i think ) And by the way DE is my red headed step child....

--------------------------------
To clear up the statement 'tis easy to voice such advice...' Trust me I have had my share of burdens and more days than I wish to admit of depression. So now that you know that my life has not been sheltered...
I have chosen to be vunerable about love
and life. For reasons being one for Hope.
Hope is what gets us up in the morning.
You can't face a challenge without hope or faith. With exclusion of the mentally ill I think most people are good and want peace and real love in their life. Yes I have been hurt in the deepest way but I also have loved in the deepest sense also. If I guard myself too cautiously I also block out a lot of good things as well. Personally I am willing to take the bad with the good. I have also learned a lot from about myself from the heartaches. None of these bad experiences killed me. And I can share these tribulations with others. By no means am I a doormat; honest respect and unconditional kindness.

------------------
Julie
>George Herbert

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
5 posted 1999-09-26 07:48 PM

Julie, I want to say that I thought your response was very eloquent, elegant and moving. I applaud you for your open mind, sensibility and sensitivity. Thank you sincerely, I only wish there were more people in the world such as you.
Chris

Systematic Decay
since 1999-09-15
Posts 1301
That place with padded walls and funny people in white.........
6 posted 1999-09-26 11:41 PM

(Removes foot from mouth)

Ahhh.....
So I did make myself sound like an idiot...
Sorry.

I only wish I could be as open minded as you.

(Replaces foot)

------------------
"Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage."
-Billy Corgan-

Julie
since 1999-08-20
Posts 739
Houston, TX
7 posted 1999-09-27 12:19 PM

Chris,
Such a sweet thing to say...thank you. I really enjoyed our chat.
------------
SD,
My experiences, and choices were leaning
more toward what you had said....so no
foot in mouth is necessary.
------------------
DE, guess you're not up to the challege?

------------------
Julie
>George Herbert

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » In response to Systematic Decay

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary