navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Proof
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Proof Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2003-09-11 06:45 AM

Proof
By Larry Chadwick
Pops you were the best...

It started when I was really young. I saw the proof in a picture that was taken when I could barely sit up. But there I was at the edge of the water with a fishing pole in my hand watching my daddy in the distance fishing. A documented experience that was etched in my mind before I had a memory.

The memories continued to develop into a library of evidence. It was irrefutable. Most persuasively to me. My daddy loved me and I could prove it by how he treated me. Bubbles. Wagons. Puppies. Trains. Planes. Bikes. But those were only part of what convinced me. Even as a child I understood they were just things. Great things. Still just things. Time. Even time was only a part of what persuaded me. Laying on the floor next to him with my legs bent and crossed while he read another book to me. The long walks. The hikes on campouts. Camping out when equipment was less than sophisticated.

Dad was not afraid of discipline. He did not like it but he was not afraid of it. Lectures were private and to the point. The loss of privilege was not a pleasure. Yet when it was necessary it was used. Time outs. They were effective though not over used. And the rod was not spared to spoil his child. Neither was it a first resort. But I do remember when it was the last.

He knew immediately what it took me years to figure out. I was thirteen when he lost control with the rod. It was the last time it was applied. He knew. And he regretted it. I was thirty-three before I knew and recognized that event as abuse. I made sure he knew that I knew too. And he regretted it even more. It was proof. Not because of a one time incident but because he took ownership of even an anomaly.

It was a brief moment in time. We were alone. There was no sense of any epiphany pending. It was just me and dad. Talking. Honestly. Confessing. No pride was involved. There was regret but no pride. And even shame. For both of us. But still he confessed. Things not known typically by a son or anyone else if it can be helped. Still he confessed.

Then I knew. It was proof. Proof that he loved me. Proof that he trusted me. Trusted me with his reputation. Trusted my judgment. He trusted me with even the painful truth. But then again I had a life time of proof. And he proved it to the end.
August 29, 2003

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2003 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2003-09-11 07:43 AM

Thank you.  For posting this, today.

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
2 posted 2003-09-11 10:19 AM

Larry~The was honest and touching.....

Susan

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2003-09-11 06:24 PM

Karilea,
Well now what they say is true. Timing matters. And you're welcome. Thanks.

Susan,
I got it from my dad. Thank you.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
4 posted 2003-09-12 05:31 PM

*smile*

Life isn't really all that bad... just don't take it too seriously

Zyell
since 2000-07-28
Posts 121
USA
5 posted 2003-09-12 07:43 PM

I like this it's honest and real in the way it's delivered......Good job

Z

froggy
since 2003-06-23
Posts 1893
Michigan
6 posted 2003-09-12 09:00 PM

Wonderful Larry C

:-)

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

7 posted 2003-09-12 11:41 PM

This is a good piece, but it lacks description.  The writing is rather abstract and the connection between the narrator's father losing control with the rod and that event's being abuse is not stressed enough.

However, I did like the way in which what seems like the proverbial example that punches a fatal hole in the theory contributes to further supporting it instead.  That is, of course, assuming this is an inductive proof.  

2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2
--Smit
My Creations

cuda04
since 2003-09-03
Posts 46
Wisconsin,USA
8 posted 2003-09-27 12:04 PM

a great read.

Always look forward, never look back, dreams are much more refreshing than regrets.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
9 posted 2005-07-26 08:55 PM

Perhaps this was personal than I believed. But my apologies for failing to acknowledge your kind and gentle replies.

Skyfire,
Yup, it seems you know too.

Zyell,
Thank you for your kindness.  

froggy,
Thank you, tons.  

Ah fractal007,
A critique. I see so few. Thanks, I apologize for not finding it in a timely manner. I hope I'm not dodging but I do believe that event is detailed in another piece. But perhaps I have lost track of my own writing. There are a couple events that I have doubled up on in my writing. The advantage is I find my lapse in memory has hopefully allowed to improve on the topic.

And as to inductive reasoning for proof, I managed to avoid philosophy like the plague in college and fear I have no clue for an analytical response. Sorry. Please know I appreciate your time and effort and will contemplate your response to this piece. Though it will likely stretch this old man's brain.

cuda04,
I have ignored yet another newcomer. My apologies as I have so appreciated your ignored intentions.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Proof

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary