navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Time
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Time Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration

0 posted 1999-09-21 01:45 AM

Time, the most uncontrollable force in the world, yet the one which has the most impact on any given life.
As I sit here, waiting for the time to pass by, hoping it will hurry along its merry way, I think back.
I ponder over all the occasions where I cursed time for so fleetingly passing me by. Those times which I wished to prolong, which only seemed to go by even that much faster, as if to spite my desires.
Subjective of course.
It has been argued that time is both in a constant state of flux, and also that it is steadfast, immovable.
Which is true?
Depends on your mood.
If you desire it to hurry by, it will slow down to a crawl, or remain steady. Ticking ticking by, slowly and surely. It can make minutes feel like an hour.
Heightened by anticipation, the time grows longer, the nearer it comes to the point we desire.
Ironic isn't it?
And yet, what of the times when we wish to slow it down, savor a warm summer day, or a lover's embrace.
Whoosh!
Right on by.
Traveling at speeds no mortal can grasp, it flies by like a comet shooting through the sky. And when we look back, all we are left with are scattered memories filled with a longing to relive those precious moments.
Life is short.
In the ends, we all are here for an infitesimaly short period of time. On the grand scale of the cosmos, we have but a minute tenure, than we are relegated to nothing but dust among the stars.
My advice: Grab life while you can. Enjoy what it has to offer.
Don't try to slow it down, don't try to speed it up.
Live it.
That is the only option we have.
Live you life, so in the end, the dust that is you floating among the stars may shine a little brighter.

Boy my spelling is off tonight!

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited 09-21-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited 09-21-1999).]

© Copyright 1999 C.G. Ward - All Rights Reserved
DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

1 posted 1999-09-21 02:00 AM

Have to say, Christopher, that I believe Time is merely man's method of scheduling events. More significance to it is only window dressing. Look at tachyons for example. They are particles which, in theory, move backward in Time and forward in Space. If such is the case, then viewing tachyons should give us a glimpse into the past but their relative existence is minute. They exist or remain, for microseconds only which defeats the purpose of traveling backwards in Time does it not? Time travel would not be possible if Time is only a method of scheduling events. Good explanation for why it hasn't been achieved, don't you think? Sorry, rambling a bit myself. L8R

------------------
Now and forever my heart hears ~one voice~.
DreamEvil©

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
2 posted 1999-09-21 03:29 PM

Very good explanation.
I was looking at it from more of a personal viewpoint, but your response is required as well.
As a matter of fact, recent research is showing that actual time travel IS possible, only that at our present level of technology, it would be prohibitive. But it is not against the laws of physics as you state. Tachyons are are great example that I overlooked.
The single most problem for a time travellr would be the erg cost. It is said that even a small step through time would be likely to use up the energy of a small star. (Perhaps, because the effect of utilizing so many tachyons would be tremendous?)

DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

3 posted 1999-09-21 06:03 PM

Consider this, Einstein believed that all the laws of physics that govern our reality are only a local phenomena. Elsewhere in our galaxy entirely different laws would govern physical reality. If so, time travel would also be only a local phenomenon.

------------------
Now and forever my heart hears ~one voice~.
DreamEvil©

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
4 posted 1999-09-21 09:05 PM

True, true, but considering that we are incapable at this moment of reaching beyond our "territory", wouldn't that localization have to be the medium we are required to work within?
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Time

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary