navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Long Distance
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Long Distance Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas

0 posted 1999-09-15 07:42 AM

How did it happen? Seemed such a commonplace happenstance. Decided to check email, just to see what might be there, and lo! something was there...a request for an interview. Smiling that such could happen, of course I replied with "Sure.", for not much can flatter a poet as that request. A few more email exchanges and a ICQ chat window was opened, and the question/answer session commenced. And yea there was rambling and musing, great meandering and whimsical thinking, and I knew at the very least, I had acquired a friend...nothing more, nothing less. Just a person from somewhere else to occasionally send messages to during idle download times.

Then did hap a wonderous thing. Over time, the messages became more frequent and long, more emails came and went, and quaking slightly in my combat boots, I asked if it would be OK to call...something I had not done in over six years. Admission was granted, phone card purchased, and the call was made at a pre-determined time. The card was for six hours...it expired on me that night. As did the others. But I knew those were the best investments I could ever make, for the fragile friendship blossomed and grew.

And there was something there, something odd, yet seemingly normal...comfort. Security. The knowledge that to this person I could divulge anything, and have it go no further. So too did my beautiful friend, for such did I see within her glowing personality and wit. I grew to crave each message, addicted to each call, growing ever slowly in love with one I had never seen.

Then, timidly, a photo was sent and received, and I wondered if this was indeed the person I had conversed with, online and off. She spoke of plainness, or normality and blandness. Average on a good day. And I was floored at the beauty I gazed upon in two dimensions. Was this she? Or was this her friend posing with her children? But inward I knew, and felt the wanderlust quicken within this frail vessel.

I liked her. I really liked her. I was very much in like with her. I was smitten. I was deeply in smit. I was twitterpated. Perpetually silly was I. I was in love. I was loved. And radical thoughts and plans formed and began implemention. I eagerly await the culmination of all my preparations, when I can pack my car one last time, light a cigarette, and set out upon that long highway, knowing that someone will be there at the end of the drive.

And her name is Satiate.

Alicat, the kilted twitterpated kitty

[This message has been edited by Alicat (edited 09-15-99).]

© Copyright 1999 Alastair Adamson - All Rights Reserved
Nicole
since 1999-06-23
Posts 1835
Florida
1 posted 1999-09-15 01:54 PM

And be here I will, with open arms and heart to greet my soul home.

All of my love to you sug

Satiate

DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

2 posted 1999-09-15 02:57 PM

Now this is an example of what Passions is about! You two bring a smile to my face.

One question I would ask though. Alicat, has your wanderlust been cured?

------------------
Pain is life, life is short, I will endure.
DreamEvil©

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
3 posted 1999-09-15 03:31 PM

AHA!!

The Twitterpated Satiated Kilted Kitty

So this is the reason you never made it to DC.....
I shoulda known....
Nevertheless - Isn't it just totally awesome to get to know who someone is from the inside out, rather than from the outside in????

[This message has been edited by Nan (edited 09-15-99).]

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
4 posted 1999-09-15 05:12 PM

Satiate: Thank you love...eagerly I await the time when I can finally bring to end this transcontinental journey.

DreamEvil: Thank you so much man!! My wanderlust will be cured once I can park my POS car for more than 12 hours.

Nan: Thank you so much for the lovingkindness you have so aptly demonstrated once again. If I could have made both trips, know that I would've.
DC was in my heart, but not in the minds of my new supervisors.

Whoa...I sincerely hope these twitterpations never cease.

Alicat the kilted twitterpated kitty

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
5 posted 1999-09-16 12:12 PM

A and and a little too!
Bravo, bravo, bravo for you!

You've brought a smile to my face kitty-boy! Thank you for that warm fuzzy feeling that's making my heart beat faster!

(And who knows, others may follow in your footsteps, I know I have recently found someone who's becoming a VERY good friend!)

Serain
since 1999-10-16
Posts 17
Gresham, OR
6 posted 1999-10-24 09:57 PM

thank you mr cat
it sounded truly from your heart

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
7 posted 1999-10-25 12:21 PM

I keep reading here, and keep finding delightful things. This is one of them. All I can do is smile.
: ) Good journeys to you both.

------------------
Don't gain my affections and cover my eyes. In blindness I will only swing harder.

Watcher666
since 1999-10-13
Posts 1606

8 posted 1999-10-25 01:36 AM

Congrats to you both.Soul mates are so hard to find!

------------------
Illusion...what we see and what we do...it's all up to you.

Nicole
since 1999-06-23
Posts 1835
Florida
9 posted 1999-10-25 02:02 PM

And the journey begins...
By this time tomorrow, the first chapter will end, and the next will begin.

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
10 posted 1999-10-25 09:38 PM

I am soo happy for you two and I can relate to this one oh so well, in fact it brought a smile to my face and a tear to my eye at the same time. Best of luck to both of you, may your years together be rich with love.
Systematic Decay
since 1999-09-15
Posts 1301
That place with padded walls and funny people in white.........
11 posted 1999-10-26 12:19 PM

AWWWW!!!! This was so sweet!! You guys are lucky to have each other. So heartwarming.

------------------
"Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage."
-Billy Corgan-

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
12 posted 1999-11-28 09:37 PM

I know this comes late, but here is the ending to this story.

I flew up at the end of October to meet the one who so enraptured my waking and sleeping thoughts. And I fell. Not only with such a beautiful area, but also more deeply (as if that was possible) with this long-distance personae. One week flew by with unseemly haste and again I boarded a plane for home. Home. Once warm and colorful looked pale and ill. Then I knew I could tarry no longer. And while the fires inside were still stoked I took to packing my meager belongings and placing them in my car. I left that night.

That was on Monday, the first of November. And after many vistas, a blown water pump, several overheats, the heat of Arizona, the strange laws and statutes of California, the winding mountain pass of Mount Shasta, and the drizzly, rainy, intra-state drive, concluding 2700 miles, I finally turned off my car, and unpacked that following Friday.

When I looked into the mirror, I found that not only had I ended my search, but my wanderlust had been cured.

Alicat

Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada
13 posted 1999-11-28 09:42 PM

A beautiful ending to a beautiful love story, my friend. Congratulations to both of you.
Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
14 posted 1999-11-28 10:01 PM

Big grins and heartfelt applause. What a wonderful gift the both of you have found in each other. Congratulations.

--Kess

------------------
You cannot choose the way of your death, but the path you choose will determine its own end.

Deep Blue Me
since 1999-11-04
Posts 396
By a big lake
15 posted 1999-11-29 02:10 PM

This is so cool, Al. Congratulations on taking that step into tomorrow.

DB

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
16 posted 2000-03-05 11:52 AM

I'll be back for this one later   for now...68
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Long Distance

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary