navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Tools Of Man (Demons- Installment Two)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Tools Of Man (Demons- Installment Two) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration

0 posted 1999-09-14 02:01 AM

The Tools Of Man

Scarred wreckage of febrile dreams.
Spires of hate and anger.
Vehicles of malicious, murderous rage,

Litter coursing through the streets, malefic odors clinging like putrescent leeches.
But this is not the paper and plastic of mankind's progress, it is an introspective view of his heart. It is a trip down the fiery lanes of his psyche.
It is a glimpse of our demise, a portrait of self-betrayal, a promise of futility.

The wreckage, pitted and torn, is the unrealized dreams of greatness. For there is nothing great about the destruction of war. For when else does mankind "progress?" when else, but when the fires of racism and the arrogance of righteousness are called patriotism? When else does mankind leap across the bounds of his knowledge and seize upon the theories of new and terrific ideas?
When else, but when he is locked arm and fist with the object that defines his hatred... at least for that day.

Spires, the massive constructs that allow mankind a closer feeling toward the god of his choice. Buildings sprawled across an already trembling planet, pierced into her core like a jutting dagger of hostile defiance.
Once again, all in the name of "progress."

Vehicles, mobile death machines, spewing forth invisible fire, burning away the protective layers of skin. Ambulatory mechanical infantry, carting around shells of neurotic evil who are determined to bend the very forces of nature to their will. They seek only personal aggrandizement, and inevitably at the cost of another. Betrayal, borne in a doleful cage of steel.

But a few of the tools of man.

© Copyright 1999 C.G. Ward - All Rights Reserved
DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

1 posted 1999-09-14 02:31 AM

I don't want to step on any toes here but this one required a reply in depth. Paragraph by paragraph.

I would definitely agree that war is a great catalyst, any conflict is. It boosts the economy and creates new ideas and products through spin off. New medical procedures are discovered and new treatments as well. Advances in the technology of destruction lead to some very worthy goals. Nuclear fission for instance, is a destructive power on a horrific scale yet has the potential to produce mass energy for the populace as well as some marvelous radioactive waste. Even atrocity leads to advancements in technology. The Nazi experiments led to a more thorough understanding of the human nervous system as well as the circulatory system. Point being that nothing advances technology like a good case of human suffering.

Cities are monuments to the willfully arrogant pride of a decadent and dying race feeling the need to desecrate their own cradle with constructs designed to feed the hunger for immortality. That said, they are gorgeous at night. Truly breathtaking from a height they are. I could wax romantic about their allure but back to the topic at hand.

You make weaponry seem like a bad thing Christopher. I know you don't mean that. Unless you just prefer to get right into the fray like the animal that humanity truly is and wallow in self-perpetrated violence instead of the cold, sterile, reality of machines.

------------------
Pain is life, life is short, I will endure.
DreamEvil©

[This message has been edited by DreamEvil (edited 09-14-99).]

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
2 posted 1999-09-14 04:50 AM

No need to worry 'bout stepping on my toes sir...I have small feet!

Like I told you earlier, I was in one of "those" moods tonight when I wrote this. I know I have a tendancy to isolate only one side of the story, and I think you brought up a couple of valid points to add to the subject.

Absolutely, war is a great promoter. As you said, in the art of healing alone, it brings on great strides! And who here, at one time or another, has not been grateful that such strides have been made?
But...always a but... there is still the flip side of the proverbial coin. War begets death, begets anger, hatred, perpetual suffering, birth defects through the chemicals left from various assaults. It causes insanity, damages young lives, destroys families, property, litters the planet.
Granted, we make great strides, but at what cost?
I understand you're not trying to preach war. You're basically pointing out that it's better to look at the bright side...very well...

One of the most beautiful memories I have is of the time I was coming out of the mountains, (riding in a train) from California to Colorado. We passed through said mountains of snow and ice, and suddenly the view opened up. Laid out before me was Salt Lake City, Utah. It was nighttime, and I agree, it was beautiful. The bright lights shone like promises. They served as beacons to guide us through the cold and dangerous mountains, back home. It is a memory that though almost ten years old now, is one I will never forget.

And as to weaponry...
I was in the Navy, (out now, thank whatever gods there may be,) and my job was that of an Electronic Technician. ET for short. Sounds fancy doesn't it. In reality, the main focus of an ET is to insure that the weapons and tracking systems of a ship are in proper operational order. Basically, it was my responsibility to ensure that if we wanted to wipe out a city, we could. I took it hard, and had many philosophical debates with myself, trying to justify my position. I started out telling myself that I was just doing my job and that was it. But deeper down, I knew that by doing my job, I was potentially responsible (at least in part) for killing living people. That they were faceless blips on a green screen did make it easier. But on nights when I would lie in my bunk, I would imagine the screaming of children as one of my well-working machines would spew death at them from countless miles away, while I was tucked safely aboard a distant hunk of steel.
Thankfully, I got out without ever having to be party to any death, but I still think about it and wonder how I would have coped, knowing that I was party to something like that.
As messy and disturbing as it is, I think in the face of that, I would rather do away with "death from a distance," an face an enemy with my fist, rather than a missle.
In truth, I think my deepest desire, would be for mankind to develop the ability to make aforementioned great strides, without the need for violence. It makes no "sense" to require pain and suffering before making these advances. Fix it before it's broken, a worthwhile philosophy...

Thank you for you response DE, and feel free to wax romantic anytime!

Chris

~one voice~
since 1999-07-08
Posts 664
Billings, MT USA
3 posted 1999-09-14 05:07 AM

Ok, Christopher... I don't have an essay or anything to write here... Just a simple little message... I absolutely LOVE your descriptions!!! Very, Very, Powerful!!! I especially love how you said, "The wreckage, pitted and torn, is the unrealized dreams of greatness..." That sounds so pretty tripping off the lips... I'm too tired tonight to rant and rave about the perils we cause... I just wanted to say how awesome I think your work here is!

------------------
~onevoice~

"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris. Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior."

DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

4 posted 1999-09-14 06:08 AM

My Lady above me well knows how romantic I can wax.

I was actually being sarcastic and facetious. I see the horrors of war just looking out my door. Let me shake this romantic bent my Lady has me in and I'll give you a serious reply. 'Twill be difficult indeed as she is most inspiring.

------------------
Pain is life, life is short, I will endure.
DreamEvil©

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

5 posted 1999-09-14 11:30 PM

My God - and I thought you couldn't get any more thought-provoking. And there's DE's comments to consider as well. Give me some time for thought, Chris!!!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Tools Of Man (Demons- Installment Two)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary