navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Sunset Evening" (Part 1 of "Recollections" series)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Sunset Evening" (Part 1 of "Recollections" series) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Emmy
since 1999-06-29
Posts 194
KY

0 posted 1999-08-29 06:47 PM

I cannot sleep.
Lying awake in my bed, eyes open but seeing nothing in the unyeilding darkness of night. Everything is still; not a breath of air stirs. Moonlight, soft and faint, slips through my curtains and rests in shapes on my wall. I dream, yet it is not the dream involving sleep. I lay awake, consciously dreaming...
My eyes see dark, but in my mind's eye it is day again. I am there and you are there, happy and carefree. My eyes are bright and my cheeks are flushed, and my head is thrown back with laughter. Your broadening smile almost outshines the sun that is sliding down over the horizon, setting the sky ablaze with color. A gentle wind makes waves in the water that rushes up to tickles our toes and then slides back again over rocks and sand. Arms outstretched, I lift my face to the sky, as if to gather the whole beautiful world up in my arms and hold it close. My hair blows back and I close my eyes and just simply breathe, inhaling the sweet aroma of earth and sky and your smell, that mix together to create a scent so sweet it makes me dizzy. I begin to spin, faster and faster, until I collapse, exhausted in your arms. We hold each other close and listen to the song the silence sings. Stars begin to appear, one by one, in the darkening sky. A moon, full and bright, watches over us as we stand, engrossed in each other and the world around us. Then, hand in hand, we walk in the sand, the two of us blending into the peace evening brings.
And then it is dark. Not the dark of my dream but the dark before me. The scene fades away and so do you, leaving me bitter and empty on this night when sleep will not come.

© Copyright 1999 Emmy - All Rights Reserved
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Sunset Evening" (Part 1 of "Recollections" series)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary