navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Tuesdays Alone
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Tuesdays Alone Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Maverick Wolf
since 1999-11-13
Posts 94
Scandia, MN

0 posted 2001-09-10 10:24 PM

“Flame before ash,” Katie declared.

“Smoke before flame,” I shot back.

“Um, the match tip is red and that comes before smoke,” Katie stammered.

This discussion was nothing new to Katie and I.  Katie and I had been best friends since as far back as I can remember.  We both knew that checkers wasn’t the “cool” thing to do, especially as seniors in high school, but we played anyway.  On this particular day, we were in Katie’s den.  It was the kind of den that you saw in the movies.  It was done in all hardwood floors, magnificant bookshelves (her father was a lawyer) and a beautiful bay window.

“Can you believe that we’re going off to college in only five months?” I inquired.

“No,” she replied.  “It just seems like time has gone by so fast.  You know, we could probably measure that time in games of checkers.  I mean, we’ve played every Tuesday since second grade, and then some.  I’m glad we’ll be able to play at college.”

“I know.  I don’t know what I’d do on Tuesday nights if I didn’t have you to play checkers with.  If we didn’t end up at the same college, I might have had to take up solitaire or something like that.”

I ended up letting her go first.  I knew I’d probably lose, I usually did when she went first, but I was ok with that.  We commonly joked that we’d played every single possible game of checkers that there was, and we were probably pretty darn close.

“Ha, I beat you again!” Katie exclaimed triumphantly.  I muttered under my breath.  “What’d you say?” she asked.

“Do it again.”  We set up the board and continued playing.

Katie and I had been best friends for a couple of forevers.  Every now and then we overheard our parents joking about how we would end up getting married someday.  They never did in front of us, but little did they know that we had thought about it too.  Nothing serious, but we’d at least thought about it.

“You cheated,” I said softly.

No reply.

“You cheated,” I repeated louder.

Still no reply.

“YOU CHEATED!” I screamed.

Katie didn’t say anything.  She just laid there.

People were staring at me now.  The tears streamed down my face as I tried to keep myself together.  For the first time in my life, I felt completely alone.  That was seven years ago.  The feeling has passed, except on Tuesdays.

[This message has been edited by Maverick Wolf (edited 09-10-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Jason Botterill - All Rights Reserved
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
1 posted 2001-09-10 10:47 PM

You have this knack, my friend, of talking about the most quiet, everyday (or week) thing and then twisting it, making one think. I enjoy it immensely. My only suggestion is that in the fourth paragraph near the end you use the word beautiful twice.. it distracts the reader. Excellent writing though, for some reason you have a skill to surprise me.

"They that start by burning books will end by burning men." -- Heinrich Heine

[This message has been edited by Dusk Treader (edited 09-10-2001).]

Maverick Wolf
since 1999-11-13
Posts 94
Scandia, MN
2 posted 2001-09-10 10:55 PM

Thanks for the input.  I didn't notice it myself.  I did change it because I think you were right.  I went back and read it, and it was distracting.  Thanks.
Secret Whisper
since 2001-01-25
Posts 298
Through the Looking Glass
3 posted 2001-10-07 09:06 PM

Remind me never to read anything you write when I am low. It always seems to make me teary. Wonderful write though. From reading your other things, I knew where it was going, but still loved it.

Quod me nutrit me destruit.
("What nourishes me also destroys me." - latin)

LoveLetters
since 2001-10-09
Posts 35
State of Hope
4 posted 2001-10-10 01:37 AM

It seems like I'm finding things with memories in them all around me tonight. This was touching. I would love to see this story expanded.

Love has many masks. I am but one of them.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Tuesdays Alone

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary