navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » City Street
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic City Street Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments

0 posted 2001-07-02 10:37 PM

I may be adding more to this, flesh it out more so than it already is.  But for now, I'll post as is.  Enjoy!

City Street

The rain fell in a soft, tinkling harmony over the oil covered city streets, the veil of water
smoothing the hard edges of the numerous sky scrapers.  Framed in muted lamp light,
a short, windblown woman sauntered forward through the dusk, her guitar case thrown
casually upon her back.  She kept her face cast downward, watching her scuffed boots
splash in the rainbow-ringed puddles.  After several minutes, the rain began to lift and
the stars began to expose themselves in the twilight sky.  
The woman took this opportunity to look up and gaze at the stars.  It was
remarkably smooth, her face, with no lines that would expose the hardships she had
already experienced in her 35 years.  Her hair was free behind her, the soft red tendrils
entwining playfully with the slight breeze.  With the rain now stopped, the night air was
as still as a hawk stalking it’s unsuspecting prey.  The woman took the moment to
notice how thoughts can ring so loudly in such quiet.  The pain of the memories
chasing her felt like a raw, bleeding wound inside her head.  The woman seated herself
on the mud covered curb and thought about where she’d been and possibly where she
was going while rubbing her temples with her callused fingertips.  
The thoughts that entered the foreground were of her childhood.  If one could
even call it childhood when a child is abused.  Her father and mother were sweet,
loving, but unsuspecting people.  The woman resented the fact that they could be so
blind to what was going on.  Her best friend, Ann, was the one who had brought so
much confusion, so much rage to the woman so long ago.  Ann was close to the
woman’s age, yet always seemed to know more about the world than the woman did as
a young child, and many times used that to her advantage.  
“Rachael, you want to play with me, right?”  And of course the woman would
always respond with a nod.  The uncomfortable, degrading sexual activities that would
then ensue were enough to permanently scar the fragile mind of a young girl.  She
never once spoke a word to anyone about those encounters.  She had even gone as
far to push them into the deepest recesses of her memory.  But Rachel found out that
all things in life come back to show themselves.  
“God damn her...” Rachael uttered under her breath while seated on the side of
the road.  A few stray tears slid down her face, but her mouth remained rigid.  Rachael
had always blamed Ann for becoming an outcast, extremely insecure, and lonely.
She’d even many times questioned her own sexuality as a result of the encounters she
experienced when she was young.  She also blamed Ann for her incapability to ever
hold on to a steady relationship with anyone.   She pushed everyone away who ever
got close enough to wonder about the sadness and fear that lingered beneath her
ocean colored eyes.  
Rachael moved out from her parent’s home the day she turned 18 and never
looked back.  She took up guitar shortly after and began playing gigs in nearby cities
for a minimal amount of money.  Her pain was always locked somewhere in her eyes,
but she never once let anyone get close enough to her to reveal her secrets.  She saw
her parents on occasion, even her childhood friend now and then who had a successful
job and handsome husband.  But Rachael never spoke a word of the childhood
incidences to anyone, not even to Ann.  
“Maybe someday I’ll let someone in...” Rachael whispered to the wind floating
through the dismal street.  She then rose from the curb and began to walk steadily into
the dark once more.  After all there were more roads to walk upon and if she was to
hold any hope for the future at all, she had to keep moving forward.  

*Krista Knutson*

"Touched the mirror, broke the surface of the water,
Saw my true self, all illusions shattered..." ~Tracy Chapman

© Copyright 2001 Krista Botterill - All Rights Reserved
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
1 posted 2001-07-02 11:01 PM

I've already told you what I thought of this piece, but I'd like to say again how beautiful your writing is, whether it be prose or poem. I love your imagery and wordings. I could visualize the ocean of pain brimming behind her eyes and her pain. Rachael whispered to the wind, but you Krista, converse with it.

I'd definetly like to see you add more to this story. I'd love to see where you could take it!

"They that start by burning books will end by burning men." -- Heinrich Heine

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2001-07-02 11:24 PM

I agree with Abe. You have always had a way of finding just the right combination of words to invoke a feeling. And this piece is no exception. I 'felt' it....the sadness and pain....I'd like to know more about this woman...
Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

3 posted 2001-07-03 05:48 PM

I agree both with Abe and Sharon Krista. Your writing is so beautifully expressed, I felt Rachael's pain and I could feel the atmosphere of her surroundings. I too would like to know more about her, what she does, where she goes and how she copes with her pain.

I hope you continue this.
Please let me know.

Maree

Meiglan
since 2001-01-15
Posts 3

4 posted 2001-07-04 08:39 PM

hehehhe.. I found a piece by Krissa!  wonderfully written.  i'd like to know more about what happens in her life.  Thanks for sharing this with us all!

shadow974
since 2001-06-21
Posts 636
Michigan
5 posted 2001-07-10 07:54 PM

Sexual abuse in any form is very damaging.I feel she will over come it through your writing. Well written and thought provoking.
Full of feeling.

snowpants
Member Elite
since 2000-09-16
Posts 2061
KS
6 posted 2001-07-11 06:49 PM

Fantastic piece, Krista...outstanding descriptions of her surroundings...I felt like I was there...and , I will be yet another echo when I say that I would also like to know more about this woman...great write!  Hope you do continue it!

sp  

it was love that first drew me,
it is love that will keep me here...
now I see love burning brightly
when everything else is unclear...

Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada
7 posted 2001-07-20 11:18 PM

The cliche "Time heals all wounds" is disproven time and again. Your story proves this once again. If you can not bring your pain to the surface and deal with it, it will eventually deal with you.

Well done Krista. It is always a pleasure to read you.

Marilyn.

crazysue32
since 2001-07-21
Posts 1

8 posted 2001-07-21 07:37 PM

I was saddened by your work as it brought back flooding memories from my past.Also ever reminding me that healing must continue for true growth

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » City Street

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary