navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Coming Out Bright and Shining (part 2)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Coming Out Bright and Shining (part 2) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Blondie
since 1999-08-06
Posts 307
Ohio

0 posted 2001-06-15 11:27 PM

As I opened my eyes, I could feel someone breathing on my neck.  I rolled over on my bed and saw my
little brother staring back at me.  He smiled and poked my side.  I knew what he wanted, he wanted me to
play video games with him for the next twenty-four hours.  I sighed and headed to his bedroom with him.
He began to tell me how mom had baked a chocolate cake for them, and they had eaten after breakfast.
The chocolate cake, still smeared across his mouth, looked so good to me.  I nodded and told him I wasn’t
hungry anyways, and that lunch was coming soon, and I could eat a whole ham and cheese sandwich in
one bite.  He laughed, and we began to play video games together.  My brother did not have many friends.
He was very shy, and was more interested in a game than he was any human contact.  I think, sometimes,
he wished he was the characters in the game.  Conquering all the evil and shooting the evil villains.  He
would get so into the video games.  I would watch him sometimes moving his body and the controller.  He
made me smile frequently.  He was a caring brother.  Everytime my father would spank me for something
I did wrong, he would cry for my father to stop, until his eyes were so red that he couldn’t squeeze out
anymore tears.  I loved my brother.

I could hear my mother coming up the stairs, and I hurriedly turned the video game off and ran
into my bedroom and pretend to be sleeping.  My mother knew better though, she threw off the covers
and demanded I get out of bed...’this is not a time for you to be sleeping.  You should be helping me clean.
For your punishment you will be cleaning all day today, and if I hear you complain, there will be more
chores tomorrow.’  I nodded and began to put my shoes on.  I followed her outside to work in the yard.
We passed my next door neighbor, Kelly, who was the same age as me.  She was outside splashing in her
pool.  I smiled and waved to her.  She began to motion for me to come over to play with her.  I shook my
head, not saying a word, knowing my mother would get angry and make me work the next two days.  My
mother gave me gloves and told me to pull every weed that surrounded this old tree trunk we had in our
backyard.  I began to pull the weeds out, one by one, all the while my mother was peering over my
shoulder, making sure I was getting the weeds by the roots.  I hated yard work.  Every once in awhile I
would glance over at Kelly splashing in the pool, while her mother stood by her spraying her with the
hose.  I wanted to go and play.

My mother walked to the front yard to go pick some more weeds.   I was glad she had stopped
peering over my shoulder for the time being.  I stopped pulling weeds, and pulled off my gloves.  I decided
after pulling weeds for a half an hour, I deserved a break of some sort.  I looked down at my
hands...blisters everywhere.  I lightly pressed my finger on each of them, wincing at the pain that shot
through my hand as I touched them.  These are going to hurt worse later.  I sighed and glanced back over
at Kelly.  She smiled and motioned once again for me to come over and jump in the pool with her.  I
looked down at my clothes, all covered in dirt.  Mother wouldn’t mind if I jumped in the pool to cool off,
and maybe even get the clothes I had a bit cleaner.  Yes, mother wouldn’t mind at all.  I dropped the gloves
next to the tree trunk, and trotted over to Kelly, who was splashing around the pool.  Her mother smiled,
and motioned for me to jump in with Kelly.  I looked to the front yard, no sign of my mother.  I shrugged
and took a plunge into the pool.  It felt so good on my blistered hands, and the water was so cool on my
sun burned skin.

Kelly’s mother had tried to stop her, but there was no stopping my angry mother.  She pulled me
out of the pool by the collar of my shirt, and drug me across the pavement and to the back steps of the
house.  I could not get a word out of my mouth.  It all happened so suddenly.  My mother yelled for my
sister.  My sister ran out the back doors...’yes mother.’  My mother, still holding me by my shirt collar, told
my sister to go and fetch the belt that was hanging on the back of her bedroom door.  I cringed, please not
the belt.  My mother yanked my collar...’your friend Kelly and her mother will see you get the belt, then
you will be the talk of the neighborhood on how much of a bad girl you are, and what a baby you have
turned out to be.’  I began to pull at the collar that started to tighten around my neck.  It was getting hard
to breathe, and I began to gasp for air.  My mother only tugged tighter, until I almost felt as if I was going
to pass out.  I tried to let out a shriek showing my discomfort.  I looked up at my mother’s raging eyes, but
that is all I can remember.

Ice packs surrounded my ribs, and as I tried to move, I felt the aching pain in my sides.  I opened
my eyes, and started to search the room.  At first, I did not realize where I was at, but then I noticed the
picture of my mother and father...I was in my mother’s bedroom.  I touched the ice packs and pushed
them closer to my body.  The cold felt good on my skin, and I laid there motionless.  I heard my mother
telling my brother to stay out of her room tonight, that she wished to be left alone.  I looked to the right of
me,  and I saw the belt, lying next to me.  I felt a tingling all throughout my body.  How I hated that belt.  I
lifted up my shirt, and saw gashes from where the end of the belt had hit my body and dug itself into my
skin.  I touched each gash, then followed the gash to stray bruises.  I placed one of the ice packs on my
chest, and laid there watching the pack go up and down with each breath I took.

[This message has been edited by Blondie (edited 06-15-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Melissa - All Rights Reserved
Sharon
since 2001-06-04
Posts 53
Within a whisper
1 posted 2001-06-15 11:33 PM

My dear words will not come to me right now. Just know that I read this through my tears. I truly think you are a brave young lady..you survived! And I think with some editing here and there, this needs to be published.....
Blondie
since 1999-08-06
Posts 307
Ohio
2 posted 2001-06-15 11:42 PM

thanks again Sharon for your post, it is so well appreciated.  I know there is a lot of errors and grammatical problems, but I just write as I think, then cut and paste onto the forums before I actually spell check.     I would love to write a novel about my life, but my attention span is so small.  
Thanks again

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2001-06-15 11:48 PM

This is truly a moving piece of work and I know there's more to this story. This seems too real not to be based in reality. How very difficult this must have been to write.
Applause to with love and prayers. and I agree...PUBLISH.

Blondie
since 1999-08-06
Posts 307
Ohio
4 posted 2001-06-15 11:50 PM

aww, thank you so much for the comments.  I am going to continue writing more about this in the future, this was just my stopping point, while I take a rest from things. This is very emotional for me...phew
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Coming Out Bright and Shining (part 2)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary