navwin » Discussion » Q & A » antiques
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic antiques Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2005-10-24 04:41 PM

Does anybody know anything about 'em?

I was given an unusual piece, which needs restoration, and I know that sometimes restoration done incorrectly can ruin the value.

Sigh.

I don't even know what it IS, actually.

I was just told that it was Elizabethan, and it is this table, and the top slides to the side and locks in place, revealing padding for a bench.

Anybody know what it might be? Or maybe suggest a site that helps with such things?

(I'll have pics available as soon as one of my kids returns my durned camera. )

© Copyright 2005 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2005-10-24 04:49 PM

http://www.cilss.org/antique-furniture-valuable.html

Also, when you get the pictures, send them to me.  I'll forward them on to my Aunt - who deals in antiques as a business.  She can probably provide some good information.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2005-10-24 05:02 PM

Thanks!

It has some termite damage too.

But I understand a bit of tea tree oil can manage that. Or is it tree tea oil?

smile

(Is it Pet Smart or Pets Mart? grin...)

thank you Kari

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2005-10-24 06:54 PM

Photos help a lot.  I love finding old stuff - even better when it is just passed down.  Someday CJ will inherit a large china closet [or knick knack keeper] with the wood cut on the bias, large oval pieces of glass front, back bar on the top of the closet, and large carved feet.  CJ's mother got it decades ago when a family "sold out".  The son, who was a baby at the time, has come back several times over the course of the years to find out if Mom would "sell" it back to him.  We've yet to put a dollar amount to it - but with the curved glass? Go figure...

Then I "inherited" the wedding bed of CJ's grandparents - and they were married in 1900.  Jenny Lind in design, cherrywood frame.

Yep.  I go for the classic design...

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
4 posted 2005-10-24 09:22 PM

I love antiques too.  What you need is an antiques roadshow in your area.  Even an antique shop might be able to help you find someone to take a look at it and give you some information.  It's worth a try.  
gelato
since 2005-10-27
Posts 63
TN,USA
5 posted 2005-10-30 08:10 AM

Oh boy...antiques! I love to just peruse an antique store whether I buy something or not.
I agree that the best ones are those passed down from family, they have special meaning, whether you knew the person or not.

I like to read books about antiques, they give valuable information and also suggestions as to how to find out about a piece.

"Buckle Up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car"

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » antiques

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary