navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » A Shot at the Blues
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Shot at the Blues Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ted Reynolds
since 1999-12-15
Posts 331

0 posted 2000-01-10 02:44 PM

I'll try anything once, so here's likely the only time in my life I'll try "the blues."  (Please don't beat me about the ears for the word "babe," ladies -- I'm just trying for an authentic feel.)

It's all right, dear,
I just a little bit crazy.
Yeah, it's all right, dear,
I just a little bit crazy.
Sure it's you makin' me a little bit crazy,
But ain't your fault, dear,
So it's all right.

I don't care, babe,
Bein' a touch melancholy.
No, I don't care, babe,
Bein' a touch melancholy.
Sure it's you makin' me a touch melancholy,
But ain't your fault, babe,
So I don't care.

Never you mind, love,
'Bout my cryin' all the night.
No, never you mind, love,
'Bout my cryin' all the night.
Sure it's you makin' me cry all the night,
But ain't your fault, love,
So never you mind.

© Copyright 2000 Ted Reynolds - All Rights Reserved
haze
since 1999-11-03
Posts 528
Bethlehem, PA USA
1 posted 2000-01-10 03:34 PM

Being a Blues-Baby myself, I have to tell you this has promise but it needs more of a story, less reverb...you have a collection here of good choruses...how bout the story line...? please? All good blues tell a real goooood story bout luv and beee-trayl...So brother...haze says...Bring it on!
Hawk183
since 1999-12-24
Posts 130

2 posted 2000-01-10 04:34 PM

Ted,

I gotta agree with Haze about a story being needed.  However, I like the feel. its a lighthearted blues piece.  Good use of dialect...that really added a lot.

Hawk

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
3 posted 2000-01-11 06:22 PM

I agree with Haze but would also argue that song lyrics really just don't cut it as poetry.  Far too often, the music is what carries the feeling, not the words. I like the Blues as well (although more for the guitars than anything) but when I actually start hearing the lyrics as poetry, I have to admit I'm not a big fan.  Of course, I'll change my mind if you take me to a blues club and buy the scotch (I'm easily influenced, you know).  

Brad

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

4 posted 2000-01-11 09:45 PM

I liked it, but also agree those could be the choruses between a story line.

Brad,
I totally disagree with you about lyrics not being poetry! There are multitudes of songs  that are just poetry set to music. I don't want to cite one example, because there are just too many that come to mind. Hope you rethink your statement....

warmhrt

Renee
since 1999-11-07
Posts 18
langhorne, PA 19047
5 posted 2000-01-11 09:59 PM

I can feel the rythem of the blues, but I agree it needs a story. What you have so far is good, but if you added more it would be better.  

Linda Renee

John Foulstone
since 2000-01-01
Posts 100
Australia
6 posted 2000-01-12 08:44 AM

Ted, sounded OK to this ear, but I agree with the storyline comments. Mind ya, tho', there's been plenty of successful songs with even less story than yours.
As for lyrics being poetry, I respectfully submit Goo Goo Dolls "Iris". And the list could go for pages.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
7 posted 2000-01-12 09:00 AM

Ted:

I agree with the others that what is missing here is a conflict/resolution that would paint a clear picture for us (a necessary element, in my opinion, in any poem, free-verse or structured).

I agree with Brad to a degree about song lyrics not USUALLY cutting it as poetry.  But I think good lyrics can very well be poetic.  The Old Testament Psalms, for example, are certainly poetic AND were originally set to music.  Shakespeare also wrote several songs.  But let's be wary of assuming that ALL song lyrics are poetic.  Jennifer Lopez sometimes has me banging my head against the wall with her lyrics but she's so damn cute that I just can't help overlooking her transgressions.    

I respectively submit Creed's "My Own Prison" but will personally shoot anyone who suggest's ANYTHING by Ricky Martin.  

Jim

"If I rest, I rust." - Martin Luther

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
8 posted 2000-01-12 10:45 AM

For the most part I would agree with Brad that song lyrics ususally don't make very good poems. But there certainly are outstanding contradictory examples. Much of what Paul Simon and Carol King wrote, for example, would make excellent poetry. Of course there are the obligatory "oh yeas" and "doo dahs" which seem to be the easy way to fill the empty time required for music's regular measure system. Although, if one looks at much of Simon's music, it didn't seem to bother him much to vary the time signature on a measure by measure basis apparently to make the music fit the words. And it still came out good. (My humble opinion only.)

I should add that I really enjoy the blues but mostly for the music rather than the words. But, to each his own, as they say.

Pete

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

9 posted 2000-01-12 11:39 AM

Gonna add my two cents again re: song lyrics being poetry. I feel that Van Morrison's  "Moondance", "Into the Mystic", and other songs he's written are very poetic. Jagger and Richards have written, in my opinion, some very poetic lyrics i.e. "Sweet Virginia", "Dead Flowers", "The Spider and the Fly", etc. The Moody Blues had some poetry in quite a few of their songs, as do the more contemporary Jewel and Alanis Morissette. Even "The Wallflowers" ditty, "One Headlight" is a song I would consider poetic.
Okay, I've said enough. I know everyone's entitled to their own opinion...just thought I'd try to sway a few over to my side.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » A Shot at the Blues

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary