navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Poetry Reading
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Poetry Reading Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
patchoulipumpkin
since 2000-01-01
Posts 196
Bermuda

0 posted 2000-01-09 05:13 PM

Hi there, i just wrote this piece, and thought it was pretty good, but wanted to put it to others to see if there is anything good here. Thanks

On stage at the poetry reading
I read, and people listen to me
They look at me because I know something
I’m going to give them something that they have never had before

For the five minutes it takes, I’m the king
I’m in control
You are my ears
Without mouths
Only listening
Absorbing
If I’m good, maybe even wondering

I take you to where I was, to where I felt
To where I knew
And I show you what it was like
Bring you as close to it as I can

Until you all clap
And tell me that’s enough
We liked it
Interesting you tell me
It’s a good story

But we have to be quiet
Its time for the next reader

© Copyright 2000 patchoulipumpkin - All Rights Reserved
Ted Reynolds
since 1999-12-15
Posts 331

1 posted 2000-01-09 06:18 PM

Yes, yes, I've been there, and you took me  right back.  It's scary . . . both how little real reaction we're satisfied with, and how doubtful we are nevertheless that anyone *really* listened.  And then the fear that *we're* not listening enough to others to deserve their listening to *us*.
And now I've got to do some heavy thinking about the similarities and differences beteen poetry readings and these forums.

Is your poem any good?  Sure is as far as I'm concerned.  It got a real reaction, mind and emotion, and that's what poetry's for.  Thanks.

roxane
since 1999-09-02
Posts 505
us
2 posted 2000-01-09 08:43 PM

honestly, i don't care for the poem.  i've never read my poetry aloud, so i can't tell if this is what it feels like.  there are a few lines which i think could be changed.

On stage at the poetry reading
I read, and people listen to me

read, reading.  sounds kind of bad.  just on principle, i don't like the "and people listen to me".  it's kind of unrealistic.  of course, you could have them in rapt attention, but that seems so idealistic.  also, the way the line is phrased, sounds like "when i talk, people listen".  a little domineering.

Until you all clap
And tell me that’s enough
We liked it

they like it?  they always like it?  i don't know, this poem just doesn't do it for me.  if there was more of a mixture of emotions.  it also kind of reminds me of those old 1940's movies that would always take place, at least a little in a nightclub or theatre, so that there could be song and dance numbers.  when i was younger, i called them "show-shows".  to me, this is a "poem-poem".  it's a poem about reading a poem.  i just didn't care for it.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Poetry Reading

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary