navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » evening encounter
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic evening encounter Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
amandafoose
since 1999-12-20
Posts 11

0 posted 2000-01-08 07:12 PM

Pungent fangs
I dropped to my knees
"Do not hurt me. Spare my life please."
The vampires mouth came close to my way
"Help!" I had screamed
But no more could I say
His mouth was intriguing
His eyes a great blur
Fantasies overtake you
You wont know where you were
I slowly surrendered
And let him do as he bid
His looks overtook me
And I quickly lavished
His breathing grew rapid
As so did my heart
His fangs met my mouth
And we soon broke apart
I lay there alone
With sadness and strife
That strange man had made me
A vampires wife

© Copyright 2000 amandafoose - All Rights Reserved
John Foulstone
since 2000-01-01
Posts 100
Australia
1 posted 2000-01-09 12:31 PM

Hi, Amanda. Neatly expressed. Noticed one rhyme break, "bid" and "lavished". I was surprised at the sombre ending, "alone",
"sadness", "strife". Up to that point, the mostly anapaest meter had tripped along with quite a jolly swing, and I'd been half-expecting a funny conclusion. Then again, it might be just my ear. Keep taking your iron tablets!

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
2 posted 2000-01-10 09:51 PM

Okay, I'm not a big vampire poetry fan but what bothers me here is the lack of any dynamism and power structure. The vampire is never seen, never heard, never really given any personality. The switch from a person who is in utter fear of her life to a woman mesmerized by what? Being controlled?  It doesn't seem like she has any agency at all here. How does she feel about being this guy's wife? Why did he choose her? Is she under a spell? What happens when she, if ever, gets out of the spell?  

Again, I admit that I'm not a big fan of this type of poetry although I can understand the allure of reverse power fantasies.  I'm not sure my comments will be of much use to you but you never know.

Please feel free to ignore it,
Brad

PS I'm a Buffy fan.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » evening encounter

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary