navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » A Child's Arena
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Child's Arena Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
J.L. Humphres
since 2000-01-03
Posts 201
Alabama

0 posted 2000-01-05 02:16 AM

She crept down silently, softly;
Trying to keep out of sight.
To the place they fought often;
Where she watched lovers die each night.

J.L.H.

< !signature-->

We all go a little mad sometimes...
       --Alfred Hitchcock

[This message has been edited by J.L. Humphres (edited 01-07-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Jason L. Humphres - All Rights Reserved
John Foulstone
since 2000-01-01
Posts 100
Australia
1 posted 2000-01-05 09:36 AM

So much power, so few words.
Nothing here to criticize.

Renee
since 1999-11-07
Posts 18
langhorne, PA 19047
2 posted 2000-01-05 08:32 PM

Very good expression and emotion put in such a small amount of words. This is difficult to do, and you have accomplished it well here.

Linda Renee

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

3 posted 2000-01-05 11:46 PM

I can't believe how very much you've said with just a few well-chosen words in a well constructed four line piece.
Very well done!

warmhrt

J.L. Humphres
since 2000-01-03
Posts 201
Alabama
4 posted 2000-01-06 12:43 PM

Thank you all very much for the vote of confidence.  When I first wrote the lines they seemed uncomplete, so went into my "untitled" section. Then the title added the needed clarity of thought.

J.L.H.  

We all go a little mad sometimes...
--Alfred Hitchcock

Hawk183
since 1999-12-24
Posts 130

5 posted 2000-01-06 06:00 PM

This is great!!!
I have often tried to express an idea with only a few lines, but I have never come close to the power you have created here.  This one left me thinking...

Hawk

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
6 posted 2000-01-06 11:52 PM

I enjoyed reading this the first time around and, like everybody else here,  I realize how difficult it is to write in this manner.  However, the last line leaves a vague feeling for me; I don't really understand what you are trying to portray with 'passion die each night'.  If they're fighting, that would be passionate, wouldn't it? You have such a superb build up to that final line, I would think about reworking just that part.

Just an opinion,
Brad

jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
7 posted 2000-01-07 01:57 AM

j.l.--

very, very well done.  very effective!  i agree with brad, though, on "passion" in the last line, although i think he's being a little obtuse in saying he really doesn't understand what you're trying to say, lol.  as i see it, it's the parents' relationship, their love, that is dying each night.  

really nice work here; in four short lines the reader has a complete picture of the frightened little girl, and the angry parents.  nothing else matters.  i was thinking about this piece when i was writing "post-modern romance" a few nights ago; you (and haze with her "ten windows") show us all the value of paring things down to their essence.  thanks for the reminder!

J.L. Humphres
since 2000-01-03
Posts 201
Alabama
8 posted 2000-01-07 03:54 PM

Thank you all for your compliments and comments. Brad and jenni if you'll notice I changed "passion" to "lovers"; before something is said about this choice think along these lines: If loving makes lovers, absence or termination of love kills them.
Better? I think so. Thanks again for pointing the "passion" thing out.
                         J.L.H.

Jason
I...I have seen the best minds of my generation...
--Allen Ginsberg

jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
9 posted 2000-01-07 05:01 PM

what about simply "love" in the last line?

She crept down silently, softly;
Trying to keep out of sight.
To the place they often fought;
Where she watched love die each night.

just a suggestion.

J.L. Humphres
since 2000-01-03
Posts 201
Alabama
10 posted 2000-01-07 08:11 PM

jenni,
   I thought about that one. In fact, trying to come up with another word was where I found "lovers". The thing about using "love"
in this particular piece is that "love" is a vague and overused term in poetry. I wanted something that produced a clear and powerful image. The tragedy is that there was once love there; now constant beration is deteriorating the relationship.
                         J.L.H.

Jason
I...I have seen the best minds of my generation...
--Allen Ginsberg

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » A Child's Arena

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary