navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » the fear
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic the fear Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
roxane
since 1999-09-02
Posts 505
us

0 posted 1999-12-15 05:18 PM

i can recall now a hundred thunderstorms
counting in between claps of thunder
and then a shaking clash
while i crouched with my arms around my legs
so sure that lightning would strike me

and when i had a slight slip of the tongue as a child
i'd sit and be afraid of them
audible footsteps down the hall
of the denounced, blase and bitter, while i alone
let my stomach twist itself up in fright

then finally, the best fear of all by far
i'd carve into my wrist with a kitchen knife
scars and streams of blood against my skin
because the greatest fear is not to die
but rather to have to live

"Come night, come darkness, for you cannot come too soon or stay too long in such a place as this." Charles Dickens

roxane

© Copyright 1999 roxane - All Rights Reserved
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
1 posted 1999-12-15 05:27 PM

Is "versatility" your middle name Roxanne?   The first word that comes to mind is "chilling".  The progression from irrational fear to insane despair is very effective.  You ever consider writing a short story?  Enjoyed this, Roxanne (if "enjoyed" is the right word).  Very well done.

Jim

"If I rest, I rust." - Martin Luther

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
2 posted 1999-12-15 05:41 PM

I've just about stopped shaking now Roxane ..  I'm now trying to work out whether the unbelievably unsettling effect this had on me was more to do with the poem itself or because it was written by a friend.  Objective critique can be difficult I think under such circumstances.

The repetition of the numbers had a startling resemblance to the poem recently posted where one hundred and five was repeated, it is certainly an effective "device".

still trying to get my mind round the excellent:

"audible footsteps down the hall
          of the denounced, blase and bitter, while i alone
          let my stomach twist itself up in fright"

back later maybe ..

Philip

poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
3 posted 1999-12-15 07:26 PM

roxane ~ i like this poem a lot... it's meaning is simply, yet cleverly stated and i think it's something that hits home with all mankind... i know it does with me...

sincerely,
**jerome the boy with no brain

roxane
since 1999-09-02
Posts 505
us
4 posted 1999-12-15 10:35 PM

you know what?  i've written several short stories.  there's one in prose, (go way way way back and it's there) that i never finished typing into the computer.  if anybody is interested in reading it and replying (via email), then i would most certainly accept comments. (i think that it's called "my first real attempt here", not sure)
the compliment on my versatility really makes me happy.  however, i always see myself as writing the same thing over and over, am i?  i have to say though, P** that i wrote this before i read brie's poem, and have actually edited it (gasp gasp, icy chill effect from hell freezing over) before i posted it.  anyways, thanks for replying, but i couldn't resist the urge to tell about my short story, as they are my passion.

haze
since 1999-11-03
Posts 528
Bethlehem, PA USA
5 posted 1999-12-16 01:08 PM

Roxanne, this is fabulously chilling...the depths devined of terror...One word my friend...WOW!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » the fear

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary