navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » huddle house visionaries
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic huddle house visionaries Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans

0 posted 1999-12-04 03:34 AM

I'd appreciate any comments: structural or contextual. Thank you.

**jerome the boy with no brain

Huddle House Visionaries

The wisdom of the collective subconsious poured onto recycled napkins with a flood of adjectives and adverbs and bad grammar

Romancing the ways of the prophet of old -- stalking the lonely life of Isaiah, the death of Ezekiel, the whale's kiss on Jonah's lips

Stalking the truth that is known no longer -- buried in time and silence and ignorance -- drown alive in the sands of the grinding, greasy, primal machine

Where have the dreamers gone?
They've gone to nirvana.
Where have our hopes gone?
They died with the poets.
Where have our lovers gone?
They drown in their passions.
Where have the prophets gone?
We killed them and ate them.
Where are the visionaries?
We died in the Huddle House --

Dreaming of peace and praising out own unrealized, utopian plans for salvation.

When will we save the world?
First we must save ourselves.

© Copyright 1999 Jerome Solomon - All Rights Reserved
roxane
since 1999-09-02
Posts 505
us
1 posted 1999-12-04 02:39 PM

i like it a lot. i would love to comment on it more in depth, but i will have to do that later. in the meantime, it is great.
Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
2 posted 1999-12-04 04:03 PM

This is the sort of poem which drives conventional ole me crazy . It all starts with the title which doesn't mean anything to me - am I just ill-read or is it an exclusively US thing?

Then the poem itself well where I do I start (lol) not only do I fail to understand much of it but the format is ... unfamiliar ..

And yet .. and yet ... the individual phrases strike home powerfully, and of course exploring the unconventional and untried is part of what poetry is all about I think. I won't forget this piece in a hurry and I will await with interest the opinions of others.

Philip

poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
3 posted 1999-12-04 07:07 PM

philip ~
thank you for your comments most all of my work is very personal, relating to personal experiences and thoughts... the Huddle House is a short-order restaurant mainly located in the southern U.S.A. my friends and i were sitting and eating waffles and omelets one night about 2 am in the Huddle House and everyone was writing poetry. i couldn't think of anything to write about, so i wrote about us sitting there writing poetry and it developed into a poem about our idealistic nature. as for the format, i can't tell you much, that's just the way it came out -- you dont have much room for structure when you're writing on a napkin ;o)

sincerely,

p.s. -- if you'd like to read one of my more structured works, look for "jazzman" by "poetry_kills" on this list somewhere...

poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
4 posted 1999-12-04 07:08 PM

roxanne ~ just a note of thanks i tend to be insecure about my writing abilities, it's nice to know someone likes my work...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » huddle house visionaries

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary