navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » The Glorious Twelfth
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Glorious Twelfth Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK

0 posted 1999-11-14 04:56 PM

(Those of you not from the UK may not pick up the social and political comment in this poem (sorry!)... btw "The Glorious Twelfth" refers to the 12th August each year when the shooting season begins and is so named by shooting enthusiasts.)

The Glorious Twelfth

How pleasant to fill a pheasant
full of hot lead shot in the pale
north light of a Scottish day.

How jolly (with the other gents)
to motor up from town
and sipping (watered) best Malt Scotch
watch the sun go down.
And in the morning, what a lark,
in luxury to drive
to where the beaters (shivering),
wait till we arrive,
And carefully wrapped in Barbour
we slip from out the truck
onto special matting
which protects us from the muck.
The polished stocks we cradle
with our ear muffs safe in place
aiming best as we are able
with a pudgy red veined face ...

Then oh joy ..

How pleasant to fill a pheasant
full of hot lead shot ..

To knock it from the sky

and to watch it

Shudder

Scream

and die.

© Copyright 1999 Poertree - All Rights Reserved
jamaicabradley
since 1999-11-04
Posts 39

1 posted 1999-11-14 08:10 PM

Hello...
I really likes this poem, alot, I think it put a bit of joy in my heart today. Possibly just the reminder of home...anyway, I really do like it, but it seemed like it ended a bit early, I enjoyed reading it very much, but (although I do like the simple tapered ending) I was left just wanting a little more.
-jamaica

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
2 posted 1999-11-18 06:13 AM

I thought this was great. The style and the rhyme reflect the satiric theme very, very well.

The ending was great as well.

Thanks,
Brad

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
3 posted 1999-11-18 07:40 AM

I was afraid people might find it too "political" .... thanks Brad and you too jb.

[This message has been edited by Poertree (edited 11-18-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Poertree (edited 11-18-1999).]

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
4 posted 1999-11-19 06:46 PM

Okay...I liked this poem quite a bit, but I'm going to touch on something no one else has mentioned.
I think this poem could do fine without the phrases, words put in brackets. I couldn't find the meaning of them anyway, as the words fit right in there minus the brackets. Perhaps that's just my opinion and you do know what they say about opinions...LOL.
Otherwise, I think it's grand !
Ruth

Craig
since 1999-06-10
Posts 444

5 posted 1999-11-19 07:17 PM

I like this one too, although I’d change the title it’s a little misleading, the Grouse season starts on the Glorious Twelfth, the pheasant shooting season starts on October 1st.

------------------
Yes, I admit your general rule. That every poet is a fool:
But I myself may serve to show it. That every fool is not a poet.

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
6 posted 1999-11-20 05:35 AM

Yes Ruth I can't remember why I used the brackets now lol - feel kinda foolish !

and Craig ... what can I say (feel even more foolish ) ... and after all the checking I did as well, with a usually infallible source of information .......... my wife ! lol (and Jenni before you chastise me for blaming my wife, I'm only kidding ).

Thanks for pointing this out Craig.

Willem
since 1999-11-18
Posts 139
Inverness, FL, USA
7 posted 1999-11-20 08:40 PM

"The Glorious Twelfth"? Intensely focussed
on an old custom that clearly bothers the writer a lot. Richly detailed description
written with sarcastic mockery. I understand.
There are ethical implications as well as a
political point of view involved. The poem's
form needs some polishing, particularly its
latter part, where expressivity overtakes
descriptiveness. Good work, very convincing!

Willem

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
8 posted 1999-11-21 04:14 AM

Willem, You're right .. it does bother me a lot. Old custom or not, I just can't get to like the idea of people killing and animals and birds just for fun. (Now if I posted those words in a primarily English forum, a hot debate would ensue!).

Btw thanks for the advice - i'll look again at the second half.

Philip

roxane
since 1999-09-02
Posts 505
us
9 posted 1999-11-23 09:52 PM

i liked it. but maybe i saw it in a different light. forgive my coarse american ways. it's political? it is sort of satirical isn't it? making fun of the hunting enthusiasts? god, i hope that i'm right! i'm not too good at these critique things. anyways, the only problem that i have with the poem is the parenthetical quotations. there seems to be too many of them, but maybe they are utterly necessary. please enlighten me.
okay, this is a little off the subject, but as i noticed that there are quite a few of you europeans on this forum, i have to ask: how do you view americans? not just you personally, but the whole continent? in teen poetry, i once got into it with this girl from australia for saying all these things about how she's afraid of america and our "adulterating" president. it kind of disheartened me, as i didn't attack her country. i've never even been to australia. i never even been out of my country, but i'm pretty sure that when i do, i won't go to australia. she could come after me. well, this summer, i am SUPPOSED to visit england and ireland. (watch that fall through), so i'd like to have an idea of what prejudices i should possibly expect. thank you, and i'm sorry that i went off on such a tangent, when you wrote such a nice poem. please don't hold it against me.
thanks

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » The Glorious Twelfth

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary