navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » walking alone
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic walking alone Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
donovan blue
since 1999-09-21
Posts 26
austin,tx,usa

0 posted 1999-10-05 10:08 PM

walking alone, sometimes comfort comes easy
with an empty hand.
the smell your soul breathes -
solitude.
within oneself the pieces fit together,
a matter of arrangement, I suppose.

Though divine, her pieces did not
fit in place of mine...

wholeness within
cannot be mended without.

© Copyright 1999 donovan blue - All Rights Reserved
Systematic Decay
since 1999-09-15
Posts 1301
That place with padded walls and funny people in white.........
1 posted 1999-10-06 01:13 AM

The poem is beautiful....but I don't understand what it is about....perhaps a little more clarity? All I sense is lonlieness.

------------------
"Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage."
-Billy Corgan-

jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
2 posted 1999-10-06 01:26 AM

donovan, a beautiful piece! but why does "wholeness" need to be "mended" at all?
rachana.s
since 1999-09-16
Posts 55
madras,tamil nadu,India
3 posted 1999-10-06 02:21 AM

donovan,

I understand what you are coming to say is that you find it hard how ever much you try, to put the love back together within yourself when are with out the person you love. And though usually, loneliness and soltitude helps fit these pieces, this time even they fail you. (I hope my understanding is correct)

As SD says, the poem is beautiful.

rachi

[This message has been edited by rachana.s (edited 10-06-1999).]

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
4 posted 1999-10-06 01:42 PM

I was touched by this poem. Wholeness does only come from within--no one else can give it to you or love you into it, it is a gift that you give yourself in solitude and a good thing.

[This message has been edited by Martie (edited 10-06-1999).]

donovan blue
since 1999-09-21
Posts 26
austin,tx,usa
5 posted 1999-10-06 07:13 PM

Thank you all for taking the time to read and respond to this poem. In response to your comments:

SD - You definately caught on to the idea of loneliness...and perhaps I can bring a little clarity into the picture. The poem is about perspective gained on a relationship after it has ended. You see, the feeling of solitude prevails even when with someone if you are incomplete in yourself. "Though divine, her pieces did not fit in place of mine..." The whole idea was to express that YOU and ONLY YOU can bring about wholeness within yourself. Too bad for me the revelation came too late...

jenni - does that answer your question also?

Rachi - your interpretation wasn't exactly what I'd intended, but I definately see where you're coming from. I think perhaps you've given me a bit of insight into something I myself might not have considered.

Martie - looks like you saw straight to the heart of this one...

Thanks again all of you!
humbly,
donovan

rachana.s
since 1999-09-16
Posts 55
madras,tamil nadu,India
6 posted 1999-10-07 05:27 AM

SORRY DONOVAN,

I did not exactly think too much on the last two lines I guess. To me, the poem did men something different. Though of course the explanation does fit it perfectly, still my perception exists and still I find it beautiful.

Actually, I'll give you one more interpretation that occured to me.

A picture of someone who is happy in the soltitude of his love. Of love lost but still loved. Of incompleteness in emotions, but completeness in spirit.

this is what I like about poetry, the variety it suggests.

luv,

rachi

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » walking alone

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary